PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS WARNING!!!!

Monsta Mo Mini
10th August 2003, 03:54 AM
Some of you may receive an email claiming to be from admin@newminiscotland.co.uk. It's complete rubbish and the attached file contains a virus. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHED FILE! Bin it and run your anti-virus software.

Burple
11th August 2003, 06:04 PM
Full of nasty wormy horridness..
We got a similar one round the Uni a week or so ago (may even be the same one!)... telling you that your email account is about to expire...
(well those poor suckers who use Outlook anyway!! ;))
Do as the man says... BIN IT!!!

Linda M
13th August 2003, 04:46 AM
Poor Willie's just spent the last 2hrs getting rid of that nasty little MSblast worm :dead:

All fixed now :)

3GGG
13th August 2003, 05:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

Poor Willie's just spent the last 2hrs getting rid of that nasty little MSblast worm :dead:

All fixed now :)

I better not say anything about Macs - oops just did;):D

Willie M
13th August 2003, 03:43 PM
:mad:Grrrr!! Why did I not see that one coming ;):D

Part of the fun of PC ownership is the joy of fighting a new enemy (virus) every month or so ;) Beats playing Space Invaders that's for sure :eek::D

Gismo
13th August 2003, 05:33 PM
I can't understand in this day and age why so many people do not have the correct detection software installed on their machines, prevention is far more better than the cure.
Once a virus hits you it might never be completely removed, a good quality virus checker and a firewall is a must.
Sadly, too many peeps use the file sharing programmes which just invite a virus to lunch, hmm, did someone mention food, i'm off :)

Bonnie Scotland

Willie M
13th August 2003, 08:50 PM
I've got me Norton Anti-virus kit fully installed Alan and generally don't have a problem. This latest (MSblast) surfaced at the weekend, attacking a known hole in Windows XP, 2000, etc. Normally update my software (latest patches) every weekend but wasn't at the PC this weekend. Came home from work yesterday and Linda said, 'the computer did the funniest thing today'...

Had a bit of fun last night eradicating the little bu**er :approve: Victory, in the end, was well and truly mine :approve:

macblob
14th August 2003, 03:24 AM
Holes in sequirty of windoze os , are you sure?

Never heard that one before lol:p

Good ol Bill Gates

Linda Macs dont get that stuff happening to them hehehehehe

GAJ
14th August 2003, 04:54 AM
I'm saying nothing!:p

Gismo
14th August 2003, 06:17 AM
Zoooooom has the virus as well, i have downloaded the relevant patch and fixer if anyone wants it e-mailed to them.
It's over 1 meg so may take a while.

Bonnie Scotland

KenL
14th August 2003, 04:22 PM
What's this virus please?

I've been fighting my PC at home for the last few days. Every time I was on the internet after a few minutes the machine would just give me a warning to say it was shutting down and would shut down after a minute or so. Got a message about "shutdown by WINDOWS NT\AUTHORITY" and then something to do with "remote procedure call"

I also got some other message telling me I had to uninstall then re-install Norton Anti-Virus, which I did and then realised it was probably a pretty stooooooooooopid thing to do.

Seems (finger-crossed) to be OK now after I switched on the "enable firewall" connection on the optins for connecting via dial up.

I didn't get an email from admin@nms BTW.

Gismo
14th August 2003, 08:19 PM
KenL, yep, you have been infected with the MSblast worm, you also should not have uninstalled your software, there is an easy fix, you need to go to the Norton website at http://www.symantec.com and download the two files, 1) patch from microsoft and 2) the fixer tool.

You must have the current virus definitions dated 11/08/2003.

If you read the site carefully it explains how to apply the patch and update your definitions even though you still have the virus.
Take your time and you'll be alright.

Bonnie Scotland

KenL
14th August 2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks for that.

I re-installed the software but my subscription is out of date. I got the software on the PC and once the free bit ran out I didn't re-register 'cause I'm a tight-ar*e !!!

How much does it cost do you know?

KenL
14th August 2003, 09:19 PM
We also got this email sent round work yesterday. I didn't read it at the time but it might be useful to others on here:

It says:

The worm appeared on the Internet on 11 August 2003. Warnings that the Windows vulnerabilities were being scanned for had been issued on 31 July 2003. The vulnerabilities were known about since 17 July 2003.

For information about the worm, what to do about it, and how to patch your Windows system refer to CERT Advisory 2003-20 at

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2003-20.html

and references therein.

If you have Internet connection at home, if you manage your
own laptop, or indeed if you use an IT Support managed laptop, you might have a look at the CERT document on home network security at

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html

Linda M
14th August 2003, 11:48 PM
At least we weren't the only ones :clown:

By the way I've given up on all MAC discussions as I can't get my own way on that subject in this house :mad: But at least I got my own way with my JCW :D:D:D I think for that I can live without the really nice coloured cute MACs :clown:

KenL
14th August 2003, 11:53 PM
It's far more important to have a JCW S than a Mac Linda !!!

GAJ
15th August 2003, 12:45 AM
I'll swap if you like!