PDA

View Full Version : Good area to live in the Highlands section

orich
1st July 2005, 11:04 PM
Hello all.
I am going to retire from the New York City police dept. in 5 years, and have been thinking alot lately about moving to Scotland. I love everything about your country, especially the Highlands. I also love to hunt and fish. Anyway, if I was able to relocate there, where would be some good places to look? I am tired of the big city and it's suburbs. I want to live in a quiet open area. Thanks for any advice.
Rich

Julz
1st July 2005, 11:26 PM
I'm not being bias here, but the perthshire area is my favourite, you have everything there and it's fairly central, thus why it's known as 'the heart of Scotland'!

Perthshire (http://www.perthshire.co.uk/)

Scottie
1st July 2005, 11:34 PM
well I relocated to the highlands of Scotland 4 years ago :D

stay in the outskirts of a village called Muir Of Ord on the Black Isle 15 miles north of Inverness over the Kessock Bridge.

Previously (well still do sometimes) stayed down the Central Region between Glasgow & Edinburgh.

It depends on what your after if you want to get away from it all then up here is the place for you. 2 1/2 hour drive before you get to any town worth visiting.

but if you want to stay in the country but only be a 30 or 60 min drive to Glasgow type thing then there are better areas to stay.

IMHO but I'm a country Lass who likes to be a 15min drive away from a 24hr Tesco's.:D

Scottie
1st July 2005, 11:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I'm not being bias here, but the perthshire area is my favourite, you have everything there and it's fairly central, thus why it's known as 'the heart of Scotland'!

Perthshire (http://www.perthshire.co.uk/)

just watch out when it rains :D :blackeye::blackeye:;)

euan
1st July 2005, 11:49 PM
I love Perthshire, but I really like the West Coast as well. Bit wilder, and wetter, but very pretty. The other area is Deeside, up beside Aberdeen (where I'm from) - plenty of fantastic places round there.

I used to stay in Edinburgh and would quite often go to the West coast and Perthshire and they are both close by (2 hours to the West Coast, including ferry, 1 hour to Perthshire.)

sleepyrascal
2nd July 2005, 10:57 AM
I would say perthshire, aviemore or somewhere near loch lommond.

orich
2nd July 2005, 12:00 PM
Thank you so much for the replies, guys. I am currently putting money away so I can go on holiday there. I can't wait to come visit. By the way, my favorite BBC show is "Monarch of the Glen". I think the scenery in that show is one of the reasons I fell in love with Scotland.
Thanx again!

Rich

The Dogfather
2nd July 2005, 05:53 PM
Orich, Deeside is very pretty but I'd go with Julz on the Perthshire comments. The area around Pitlochry is pretty special just make sure you buy a house that's not in the bottom of a valley or on a steep sided slope.

3GGG
2nd July 2005, 06:24 PM
Rich, Definitely do come here on a holiday first - Just be aware though, the romantic scenes of "Monarch of the Glen" is not a true picture of life and living in Scotland. Even so, it is very beautiful and varied.

Starky
3rd July 2005, 02:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Orich, The area around Pitlochry is pretty special just make sure you buy a house that's not in the bottom of a valley or on a steep sided slope.

A house next to the Edradour distillery would be ideal.:p:D:D:D

Scottie
3rd July 2005, 06:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by orich

Thank you so much for the replies, guys. I am currently putting money away so I can go on holiday there. I can't wait to come visit. By the way, my favorite BBC show is "Monarch of the Glen". I think the scenery in that show is one of the reasons I fell in love with Scotland.
Thanx again!

Rich

guess what I got a Scottish Terrier pup and his name is ARCHIE my mum has got his sister and her name is LEXIE:D:D:D named after Monarch of the Glen. :cool::cool:

oops forgot to mention my beardie collie is called MOLLY:cool:

Willie M
5th July 2005, 03:22 PM
ScottieCoop :eek: You REALLY should get out a wee bit more :D

orich
6th July 2005, 10:50 AM
I figured that life for the ordinary guy wouldn't be like it is on the telly. The show got me interested. I did a lot of searching the net, etc. I am a proud American, but am really looking for a tranquil existance. Anyway, thanks for your friendly replies!! Maybe I will meet some of you when I visit!!
Rich

Burple
6th July 2005, 05:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by orich

Anyway, thanks for your friendly replies!! Maybe I will meet some of you when I visit!!
Rich

Maybe??
It's pretty much a certainty if you let us know when you're coming!!
Sure we can organise a wee run somewhere suitably Scenery-Filled!!! :D:D:D:D:D

MartinSullivan
6th July 2005, 06:04 PM
Orich, as LnL says - just let us know when you are arriving and I am sure that you will be treated to a Mini run through the highlands