PDA

View Full Version : NO OIL!!!!

Big Col
24th June 2005, 11:34 PM
I just checked my oil for the first time this month and it's totally dry! No a drop on the dipstick!!! :eek::mad::( The car's only 6 months old and is still blowing smoke apparantly.

Wul
24th June 2005, 11:54 PM
Bet Broonies hiding under his desk right now!!:eek:

Big Gordy
25th June 2005, 12:27 AM
Jings:eek:thats slightly worrying. Think you better check it every week from now on ;) :p:D:approve:

Mini Me
25th June 2005, 02:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Bet Broonies hiding under his desk right now!!:eek:

Ave been hiding since that photo came oot :eek::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::I

The Dogfather
25th June 2005, 06:48 AM
Col, you might want to start building a case for rejecting the car or at least pushing for a new engine.......

I'd be surprised if the oil consumption will improve with age, I'd expect it to get worse if anything.

Duncan Stewart
26th June 2005, 03:32 AM
This must be very unusual :( I never had to top up my oil in my first Cooper (40,000 miles) or in this one (yet)

Big Col
26th June 2005, 06:35 AM
I was told by both Broonie (the lightweight 2 smirnoff ices and cannie make it to work the next day puff) and by Barry the nice chap mechanic that using a litre of oil is normal when the car's running in. I'm a little concerned it lost it all in a month but you never know. They say to keep an eye on it and at the first hint of trouble I've to drop it in and they'll give the car a serious going over. No need to start a rumble yet BDM but when the time comes I'll give you a yell. ;)

As for the smoke the stab at a diagnosis was that it's just unburnt fuel for when the car starts up. It goes away very quickly once running. The problem is trying to replicate the problem after a long run from Glasgow. We'll wait and see.

As a side note in order to see if it would smoke I had to rev it a wad. God I LOVE the overrun!!! I'll have to check for smoke more often!!!:D:D:D:D

Oh and Big G, when I said "for the first time this month" I meant for the first time THIS month. Not the first time ever. :)

Big Gordy
26th June 2005, 06:28 PM
OK:I
Unburnt fuel you say......usual culprit for that is fcuked valve stem oil seals:eek: I hope they've not given up the ghost already:blackeye: :p:D:approve:

The Dogfather
26th June 2005, 08:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
No need to start a rumble yet BDM but when the time comes I'll give you a yell. ;)

You know me I'd argue with a signpost :D. Col, I'd start a list of all the discussions that you've had about the car and I would also make sure you keep a record of who you spoken to at the dealership. That way if you do need to reject the car you'll have a good case......

broken_brian
27th June 2005, 02:02 AM
judging by the big black stain comming off the bottom of the tailpipes i would recon its burning a lot more oil than it should, as for its just because its running in sounds like a cop out to me, maybe you would get that with a 40 year old engine design (a series) with its poor engineering tolerances and cork or rope seals.A modern engine with synthetic seals should use very little if any oil, i would also get your cat converter checked out as well because it you have lost all that oil down the exhaust its bound to be bu:eek::eek:ered

Gismo
27th June 2005, 02:36 AM
Gotta agree with brian on this one, if an engine uses oil during the "run" in period then why aren't all cars using the same amount of oil

KenL
27th June 2005, 03:49 AM
Whether or not there is a problem with the car, why wait 6 months before checking the oil? I check my oil every two weeks at least, just like it tells you to do in the manual :p:evil:;)

It may be that it came low from the factory and was nto checked at PDI, stanger things have happened :blackeye:

Gismo
27th June 2005, 05:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL
why wait 6 months before checking the oil?
He does check the oil regularly ;)

Big Col
27th June 2005, 06:27 AM
I've been checking the oil every week or so Ken. I just never got round to it this month.

I agree with you all that the amount of Oil being burned seems excessive. I'm going to check it every few days for a while and make sure it isn't continuing to burn through it. I've a horrible feeling you may all be right. :(:(:(

As for the Cat comment that Brian made! IAIN!!!! Where are you? :mad::disapprove:

broken_brian
27th June 2005, 09:26 AM
He phoned in sick remember...

KenL
27th June 2005, 04:04 PM
I've been checking the oil every week or so Ken. I just never got round to it this month.

If it has been OK up to now and all of a sudden it starts losing oil there must be a problem with the car :eek:

Big Col
27th June 2005, 04:41 PM
That's exactly what I'm worried about Ken. It lost all that oil since my last check. :(

Mini Me
28th June 2005, 01:14 AM
That's exactly what I'm worried about Ken. It lost all that oil since my last check. :(

:eek::blackeye:dinnae worry Col , keep a wee eye on it :IBB's talking bollox(in the nicest possible way)not having a dig!!!,i have never ever,ever,ever,ever replaced a cat on a new car............................:evil::D All BMW's burn oil in the run in(not unusual to replace a litre now and again),it's just some people check and some don't.:):)
But i'm sure you will let me know if summat aint right:disapprove::disapprove::disapprove:

broken_brian
28th June 2005, 08:15 AM
quote:[i]Originally posted by minimeBB's talking bollox(in the nicest possible way)not having a dig!!!,i have never ever,ever,ever,ever replaced a cat on a new car............................:evil::D

All BMW's burn oil in the run in(not unusual to replace a litre now and again

No you would get the mechanic to do it. :mad:and oil (plus unburnt petrol) do poison cats as my mini did it to my cat when the valve stem oilseals went so there.:mad:

Just as well you are going to volvo if thats the way you sell bmw's:p:p

Big Col
28th June 2005, 03:47 PM
Well we'll keep an eye on the oil (it's bloody expensive by the way innit???). Ohhh I meant to say, the chart on the wall at Harry Fairbairns parts dept said that the oil for the 'S was 0S 40W. Did people on here not say 30W?

As for the cat I've no idea how to tell if it's bust or not. A new quirk now is that the overrun quietly barks away for a lil while after the engine's turned off now. :question:

Mini Me
28th June 2005, 05:10 PM
BB, was it a new mini ???:p

KenL
28th June 2005, 07:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime
All BMW's burn oil in the run in(not unusual to replace a litre now and again),it's just some people check and some don't.:):)
But i'm sure you will let me know if summat aint right:disapprove::disapprove::disapprove:

The MINI doesn't have a BMW engine, it is a Brazilian build Chrysler engine, I thought you might like to know that since you sell MINIs :p:D

My MINI never used a single drop of oil in the 23 months that I had it.

Julz
28th June 2005, 07:23 PM
Mine goes through a bit of oil, and that's with her getting an oil service every 6000 miles!!:evil::)

choc
28th June 2005, 08:26 PM
think your self lucky my old man used 2 have an allegro that needed oil every time u used it!!!!

Big Col
28th June 2005, 08:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

All BMW's burn oil in the run in(not unusual to replace a litre now and again),it's just some people check and some don't.:):)

The MINI doesn't have a BMW engine, it is a Brazilian build Chrysler engine, I thought you might like to know that since you sell MINIs :p:D

Oooooh GOOD ONE! :D
<waits patiently for minime's response> :evil::D;)

Crombers
28th June 2005, 08:41 PM
Just thought I'd pop down to the car park to check me oil (as we all do :I). Bet I,m not the only one who has been prompted to do so via your post Col. Thankfully all is tip top with ma wee MINI

Big Col
28th June 2005, 08:42 PM
That's right crombers just you rub it in. :( ;)

Scottie
28th June 2005, 09:05 PM
That's right crombers just you rub it in. :( ;)

how do you check the oil:question::I I will go out the now and check got the cabrio today with this lovely weather.:cool:

The Dogfather
28th June 2005, 09:13 PM
Col, how may miles have you done now, surely it's beyond the run in stage now?

Ask BMW for the specs on the engine regarding oil consumption then monitor you car over the next month or so. If it's outside the BMW specs then you have a case for either rejecting the car or getting a replacement engine.

If minime/Menzies are worth their salt they'll replace the car/engine without any discussion if it's out of BMW's spec....... Isn't that right Smirnoff Boy?

Scottie
28th June 2005, 09:36 PM
got one of the guys at work to show me where the dip stick was good news not used any oil but got to say it is really hard to get the dip stick back in the tube thing is that normal:question:

Big Col
28th June 2005, 09:49 PM
Innuendo ridden statement alert! I found my dipstick was a little tricky going in too SC.

broken_brian
28th June 2005, 09:58 PM

No it was a REAL mini. :p

Cooper_si
28th June 2005, 11:36 PM
i remember reading on NAM, MINIs dont have a low oil indicator also...so its imperative you check your oil as much as possible...every 1 or 2 tankfulls of petrol is a good guidline ;)

Mini Me
29th June 2005, 04:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

No it was a REAL mini. :p

God,synthetic oil wisny even invented back then:eek::p:evil: .Were they no 2 stroke ;):evil::D

lightbody
29th June 2005, 04:21 AM
My last MINI (2001) used quite a bit of oil in the first 10,000 miles - but then never used another drop.

This one hasn't used any at all in its first 7000 miles...

S7JGW
7th July 2005, 05:55 PM
Is my MINI still classed as running in cause its burning some oil? 67000 miles. 2001.

Scottie
29th July 2005, 12:33 AM
Big Col,

Just wondering if you have checked your oil recently.:question::)

GAJ
29th July 2005, 12:39 AM
:D

Big Col
29th July 2005, 04:03 PM
Oooh buggrit you know I haven't since I got him back from Menzies! I kept meaning to! Thanks for the reminder SC! I'll check it at lunchtime. :)

KINGHORN
30th July 2005, 02:28 AM
lol my car was chapping slightly on start up so figured was slightly low on oil when i checked it there was nothing not a drop