PDA

View Full Version : Super Unleaded in West Highlands and Islands

Sassenach
24th June 2005, 07:45 AM
We'll be bringing our MINIs to Scotland in the next couple of weeks, and normally spoil them on Shell Optimax.

I know from when we visited in 2002 that fuel supplies can be a fair distance apart in the remoter parts, and that we aren't going to find Shell stations, let alone ones that sell Optimax.

Is Super Unleaded easy to get hold of?

Does anyone have any recommendations of good sources of supply, particularly on the route from John O'Groats to Kyle via Lochinver and Ullapool, around Fort William and Mallaig, and on Skye, Harris and Lewis.

Thanks

Scottie
24th June 2005, 06:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sassenach

We'll be bringing our MINIs to Scotland in the next couple of weeks, and normally spoil them on Shell Optimax.

I know from when we visited in 2002 that fuel supplies can be a fair distance apart in the remoter parts, and that we aren't going to find Shell stations, let alone ones that sell Optimax.

Is Super Unleaded easy to get hold of?

Does anyone have any recommendations of good sources of supply, particularly on the route from John O'Groats to Kyle via Lochinver and Ullapool, around Fort William and Mallaig, and on Skye, Harris and Lewis.

Thanks

Fort William you have Road to the Isle Filiing Station which sells ultimate (BP) which should cover you for FW Mallaig and Skye. Only normal Unleaded for the highlands I'm afraid.

For Stornoway only Uunleaded ( at the moment) next year we hope to bring ULtimate to the islands but shhhhhh it's a secret.;)

Shell, National, Esso, Q8, Gleaner no optimax further north last fill point is Inverness.

3GGG
24th June 2005, 09:57 PM
I have been using Optimax in my Cooper nearly all of the time, recently I needed a refill and had the choice of Esso unleaded or their premium stuff - I declined it as it was also ultra expensive, so just used the regular stuff. Well, it seems to go just as well as it always has and in fact seems better at lower revs than before, so I'm sticking to Esso unleaded for a while and see how the MPG works out.

The Dogfather
25th June 2005, 07:00 AM
Blimey! Sounds like LPG gets a better coverage than Optimax/ultimate...

Duncan Stewart
26th June 2005, 03:24 AM
Plenty of Optimax & similar in Fife but no LPG I know of. (waits to be corrected ;)

Scottie
26th June 2005, 04:11 AM
LPG in Orkney but no Optimax:D

Sassenach
26th June 2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info; it looks as if I'll have to be less choosy.

When I first bought Optimax I got about 10% better consumption, but at that point it was only about 2ppl more than ordinary unleaded.

My wife's a driving instructor, and even the pupils noticed that the car was a lot more responsive with Optimax. She did try Ultimate once but the MINI didn't seem to like it.

Tam1314
26th June 2005, 08:11 PM
When are you coming up, maybe NMS members could arrange a wee meet somewhere while you are here