PDA

View Full Version : buying classic minis

mgemie
19th June 2005, 04:03 AM
I'm currently looking at a classic cooper that a mates selling...is there anything i should be checking with classic coopers? Its a 'C' reg 1000cc chilli red classic

Bazthemod
19th June 2005, 07:36 AM
subframes ... trust me :clown:

Duncan Stewart
20th June 2005, 03:06 AM
Rust and even worse bodged over rust. Get a classic mini book that includes a buying guide
This one is good one. A magnet is good for checking for filler
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859604404/qid=1119203875/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-8468151-8836608
That will tell you where too especially look but basically everywhere! 60's Coopers have some very rare, unique equipment like engines, interior and brakes - make sure they are the correct ones and adjust price down if they they are not.
An AA or similar inspection would be worthwhile as I assume the asking price is pretty high.
A 60's 'C' reg Cooper is very rare now. A good one would be a good investment and great fun :D

bpirie1000
20th June 2005, 04:10 PM
there are many mini clubs around and I would advise you to Try and speak to your local Club and see if anyone can go have a look at it with you..

If your Not mechanically minded tehn I would get all teh information about the car as possible. I currently have 4 and there magic if you can get a solid one..

sills.. Prone to rusting. Subframes. Front Panel below head light and well everywhere really...

good luck and classic minis rouck but don't expect there to be much speed involved ... it is a 45 year old design..

cheers brian

mgemie
20th June 2005, 09:00 PM
I've decided to leave classic minis for the moment but thanks all for your advice.

Burple
20th June 2005, 11:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie

I've decided to leave classic minis for the moment but thanks all for your advice.

Just a quick aside to that..
I hope it was a REALLY old 'C' reg Cooper... as in ABC 123C..
Cos one with a plate like C123 ABC Won't be a Cooper at that age! :blackeye::p:p:D:D