PDA

View Full Version : BMW X5

Mini Martyn
18th June 2005, 12:21 AM
I want one, had a test drive today they are good fun!!?? if you guys were to buy a 4x4 what would you buy?! :)

Burple
18th June 2005, 12:54 AM
I'd have to buy a farm first or some mountains so that I would NEED ONE!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p

sh@z
18th June 2005, 02:45 AM
i test drove a X5 4.4 a while back, man that thing was quick

Heather
18th June 2005, 03:08 AM
Have to agree with Ewan, do you live on a farm??:p

Scottie
18th June 2005, 03:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mini Martyn

I want one, had a test drive today they are good fun!!?? if you guys were to buy a 4x4 what would you buy?! :)

well need you ask.

If you like the X5 then you will love the Touareg V10 goes like stink
I just laugh at those poor sods in X5's.

I've got my Touareg debadge;) and I just wait until a X5 or whatever is on my back wing then put the peddle to the metal and leave then in a cloud of smoke:D:D:cool:

not bad for a big hunk of metal 0-60 in 7.1 hauling 2500kilos:D

duncan
18th June 2005, 03:10 AM
I agree with Ewan too :)

sh@z
18th June 2005, 03:17 AM
Was a simple question, no need to jump on the bandwagon and bash 4x4's... fair enough they are big and not necessary but when its your money you can spend it on what you want. Simple question from martyn is gonna lead to a 4x4 debate again isnt it. :blackeye:

Mini Me
18th June 2005, 03:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

i test drove a X5 4.4 a while back, man that thing was quick

When they first launched this X5, we went to millbrook racing for a day :D:D:D4.4 x5 wiped out big time by minime....took out another one with it(never switch of th dsc in a slalom).....:eek::blackeye::blackeye:.
Funny thing was i won £100 for best crash of the day...SUPERB!!!

Burple
18th June 2005, 04:12 AM

Was a simple question, no need to jump on the bandwagon and bash 4x4's... fair enough they are big and not necessary but when its your money you can spend it on what you want. Simple question from martyn is gonna lead to a 4x4 debate again isnt it. :blackeye:

Hey hey.. only pokin' fun ;):cool::D:D:D
Damn you guys are getting too easy! ;):D

I quite like the X5.. Definitely the best looking of the bunch! :D:D
Had a wee seat in a 4.6is a wee while ago... nice! :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2005, 04:27 AM
We're looking to change our ML270 next year. Thinking of the new M class, probably a 320CDi. But we also really fancy a Porsche Cayenne S.:D:D

We looked at the Toureg but weren't sure about it. I like the sound of the V10 though ScottieCoop. Maybe we'll give one a hurl.

AndyP

Scottie
18th June 2005, 04:39 AM
right then this is why you need a 4x4 :D:D

hope the link works ok

http://uk.download.yahoo.com/ne/fu/caravan.wmv

burning a bit rich:D:D:p

the thing is I have seen a renault 5 towing a twin axle down cornwall way:eek:

Neil and Lorna
18th June 2005, 06:22 AM
Check out the Lexus RX 300.

Ive had the SEL since September.

Limited off road capabilities (but we dont have a farm)
Towing with it would cost a fortune in petrol ( but we've nothing to tow anyway)

Looked at the x5, x3, volvo xc90 and the Porsche Cayenne (it was way to expensive for the model and spec we wanted, maybe next time if those six magical balls come up):D

The lexus ticked all our boxes.

Fantastic quiet engine.

Super slick automatic box.Our first ever auto box, we were a bit weary at first,if there had been a manual we would of gone for that but are more than pleased with the auto now.:D

Excellent sound system by Mark Levinson.

The selectable suspension system gives it a great drive in the town, motorway or country roads.

Its so comfortable its like sitting in my lounge at home.

Can you tell were pleased with it.:D

Cheers Neil

The Dogfather
18th June 2005, 06:33 AM
Has anyone seen the Lexus Hybrid 4x4?

My only real issue with 4x4 (apart from the Chelsea Tractors i.e. V8 Range Rovers for the school run) is the damage they do if they hit a smaller car.

Scottie
18th June 2005, 06:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by Neil

Check out the Lexus RX 300.

Ive had the SEL since September.

Limited off road capabilities (but we dont have a farm)
Towing with it would cost a fortune in petrol ( but we've nothing to tow anyway)

Looked at the x5, x3, volvo xc90 and the Porsche Cayenne (it was way to expensive for the model and spec we wanted, maybe next time if those six magical balls come up):D

The lexus ticked all our boxes.

Fantastic quiet engine.

Super slick automatic box.Our first ever auto box, we were a bit weary at first,if there had been a manual we would of gone for that but are more than pleased with the auto now.:D

Excellent sound system by Mark Levinson.

The selectable suspension system gives it a great drive in the town, motorway or country roads.

Its so comfortable its like sitting in my lounge at home.

Can you tell were pleased with it.:D

Cheers Neil

I had one but traded it after six months no faults with it but a bit under powered for running back and forward to work:p;)

you forgot to mention the rear verse camera oh any the lights that bend round the corners:cool:

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2005, 06:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I had one but traded it after six months no faults with it but a bit under powered for running back and forward to work:p;)

you forgot to mention the rear verse camera oh any the lights that bend round the corners:cool:

Can't beat the Parktronic on the Merc.:D:D:D

Neil and Lorna
18th June 2005, 07:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Not yet because I will only want one, maybe next year.:p

The info looks good.

0-60 in under 8secs with excellent mpg.

Scottiecoop: Is there any car you havn't had.:DYour right about the lights and rear camera just forgot to mention them.Havn't noticed a lack of power but drive it a lot more sedate than the Mini.

Neil

minidriver#1
18th June 2005, 09:32 AM
i've spoken out against SUVs a few times on this site, but the new lexus hybrid is definately something i would be interested in if it is as good as they say it is. i used to be a huge HUMMER fan and Mitsu Shogun fan and i must say the new Range Rover definately tickles my fancy, but i'd only buy the SUV in hybrid form. Also an LPG converted Range Rover would be nice.

sleepyrascal
18th June 2005, 09:58 AM
I would have the new supercharged overfinch RangeRover... MmmMMMMmmMMmMmMmMmmMMmm NICE!!!!

Mini Me
18th June 2005, 05:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

I would have the new supercharged overfinch RangeRover... MmmMMMMmmMMmMmMmMmmMMmm NICE!!!!

Tis a braw mowta :p:p:D

sh@z
18th June 2005, 08:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by minime
When they first launched this X5, we went to millbrook racing for a day :D:D:D4.4 x5 wiped out big time by minime....took out another one with it(never switch of th dsc in a slalom).....:eek::blackeye::blackeye:.

You wiped out an X5... ouch :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:

lightbody
18th June 2005, 09:19 PM
Give me a Land Rover Defender. PLEASE.

Especially a short wheel base one. A true British design classic (like the original Mini) and one of the few cars on the road that I feel some passion for.

sleepyrascal
18th June 2005, 10:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Especially a short wheel base one. A true British design classic (like the original Mini) and one of the few cars on the road that I feel some passion for.

We have a few LWB ones. TD5s. They fairly shift!!!!!

The Dogfather
19th June 2005, 12:34 AM
Anyone heard about the diesel LPG conversion that gives a 40% power boost over the standard power output? No? It mixes %40 gas in with diesel.

It's fairly new and still under developement but now imagine Scottie Coop's V10 TDI Tourag with an extra 40% power.

Oh, it'll also save on fuel costs as well.... cost for installation isn't going to be cheap though.

euan
19th June 2005, 12:45 AM
X5 doesn't do anything for me, I've just never liked the looks.

Range Rover would be the one for me, if only for the dash. I've sat in a Tourag when I test drove the Golf GTi and thought the Tourag was a bit special as well. There's less of them on the road too. Ah decisions....

Mini Me
19th June 2005, 03:19 AM

quote:Originally posted by minime

You wiped out an X5... ouch :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:

<coughswipedouttwocoughs> :eek::blackeye::evil:

Scottie
19th June 2005, 04:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by Neil

Not yet because I will only want one, maybe next year.:p

The info looks good.

0-60 in under 8secs with excellent mpg.

Scottiecoop: Is there any car you havn't had.:DYour right about the lights and rear camera just forgot to mention them.Havn't noticed a lack of power but drive it a lot more sedate than the Mini.

Neil

I have had a few our two main motors in genreal we change every six months so we have managed to work our way through a few 4x4's.:D

Scottie
19th June 2005, 04:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Had a couple of them too the last being a 110 G4 edition but the orange colour was hard to live with.

Scottie
19th June 2005, 04:58 AM

Anyone heard about the diesel LPG conversion that gives a 40% power boost over the standard power output? No? It mixes %40 gas in with diesel.

It's fairly new and still under developement but now imagine Scottie Coop's V10 TDI Tourag with an extra 40% power.

Oh, it'll also save on fuel costs as well.... cost for installation isn't going to be cheap though.

mmmmmmm like the sound but we have already paid a visit to AMD and Miltek in our Touareg:eek::D

The trouble is our motor has been limited to a top speed of 145mph it is more than able to go much faster but VW are worried that it would rip the frame apart:eek: I have had it at 133mph (GPS Speed) on a private road ofcourse and it just sat and purred it's way along with no effort or body roll:).

Also when you buy a Touareg you get a unlimited day which is lunch at dalmahoy then Offroad and a good few Laps round knockhill all with a instructor. The instructor can throw those things around the track at knockhill.:)

Scottie
19th June 2005, 05:02 AM
Anyhow to sum it all up I am a big fan of 4x4's. I would have any of them even the new Disco Hyundia or Kia.

but they will never be as good as a MINI.:D

Willie M
20th June 2005, 02:57 AM
Guess it would be the Range Rover for me ;)
I had a Defender 90 for for a wee while a few years back. Great fun but you could see the panel gaps from space :D
Worst 4x4 I ever had was a Frontera 2.8TD. An absolute beast of a thing, leaked and drank oil like you wouldn't believe :mad:

weefozzy Jr
20th June 2005, 03:59 AM
new Range Rover sport in that nice plane orange colour so i dont stand out.lol.

Issi
20th June 2005, 06:45 AM
Why buy a 4x4 when you can have a mini and rule the road - a little car that likes to think it is big and I love it when you see people trying to park thoses big things and I can park my mini in even the smallest of spaces. Okay if I was to get a 4x4 firstly I would have to return to my roots of being a country bumkin which I truthfully miss and buy a farm which may I add I was brought up living in a farm house for ex number of year, before moving to the hustle and bustle of the town I would buy a cheeroke Jeep as one of my pals has got one and said that my mini would fit in the back so I would still be able to keep wee mini aww aint that sweet

Mini Martyn
20th June 2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all your input people, their is alot of good chat.

SC i was thinking about th VW but i am unable to get a test drive from anyone, no one has one!!?? They are a bit pricey for the V10, so might be a bit out my reach?! :D:D

Having a test drive of the Range Rover and the Range Rover Sport this weekend!!?? :D

I will let you all know what happens!!?? :D

I Want A Works
14th July 2005, 07:23 AM
Just thought I'd add my (late) tupence worth to this thread.

The news Rangrover and Dicovery were tested up my way last year (remember Clarkson climbing a mountain in one on TOP GEAR?)

Well here (http://www.caithness.org/fpb/september2004/photogallery/thumbs.htm?0?9) are some pictures of them testing them on a local beach........

...BUT what Landrover failed to tell the journalists was that at either side of the burns that hey were drivng through, they had had the sand dug out, wooden shopping pallets placed in the sand, and sand placed back on top! This was to make sure that the wheels didn't sink down when coming out, that the Landy's always got out and thus preventing the image of them being the ultimate 4x4 being tarnished!
Tee Hee nothing wrong with a bit of cheating! ;)

Anyone else remember TOP GEAR testing various luxury 4x4's on a country estate once and none of them could drive up this muddy slope, but then the estates game keeper when flying past them all in in his old battered series 2 landy with skiny tyres! Class:D

sleepyrascal
14th July 2005, 10:08 AM
I drive this 5.4 litre V8 fuel munching monster Ford F150. Well, not this actual one but one the same. Its great fun!! I have done about 2000 miles in it since I arrived here in Alabama and i'm still not bored of it. I'm thinking the MINI will feel awfully small when I come back to the UK ... They have a Nissan called a Pathfinder over here. It's really nice too and a bit more like what you might find in the UK market.

http://www.globalcar.com/img/14828101.jpg

This is the Nissan Pathfinder:
http://www.autobytel.com/images/carPics/TestDrv/Lyons/500/Armada_front3.jpg

However, It has to be a Range Rover for me. I've always had a soft spot for them.

http://www.off-road.com/landrover/news/2005_02/FRD2005012556614_PV.jpg

euan
14th July 2005, 06:15 PM
Chrome wing mirrors the size of Fife on that Pathfinder - bet they'd be a laugh to keep clean :)

I remember the test on Top Gear with the game keeper in his old Landy. For me, it would have to be a Range Rover - I'm with sleepy when he says he has a soft spot, there is just something about them. Wouldn't get a black one though (too much like a footballers car).

Talking of footballers cars (and well off topic so I'll keep it brief) I was in Wilmslow at the start of the week which is in Cheshire. All the football players live round there, and there is SERIOUS money in the area. Anyway, was driving through to get into town on a national speed limit stretch when a Merc SL55 AMG pinged past the other way, being chased by an F40. Dont see that down the beach in Aberdeen :)

john
15th July 2005, 03:27 AM
I started to read through this thread but got fedup reading:D

If I bought a 4x4 I think it would be a Metro 6R4:cool::cool:

or follow Julz footsteps and get a Lancer:)

My last 4x4 was a 350BHP Pulsar GTI-R;)

john
15th July 2005, 03:28 AM

Mini Martyn
15th July 2005, 05:30 PM
John who you kidding, the last 4x4 you had was a Toyota Rav 4 or was it a Discovery?? :D;):approve:

Keith
19th July 2005, 04:54 PM
I really enjoyed my X5 I had, it was with me for more than a year, which is a record! I recently had a new Range Rover, nothing like the X5, sure it had road presence and the prestige of a Range (actually I felt more of a rap star, black with tints) but the drive was terrible. No one else would drive it and it was aweful to park. Not to mention diesel consumption!!
Next on my list is a Cayenne for sure.