PDA

View Full Version : wheel alignment

Sheilz
12th June 2005, 11:01 PM
got a quote from JC for this - over £100 + vat but Kwik fit only charge £25. Does anyone know what or if there is any difference in the geometric tests done by JC to the method used by Kwik fit etc. Its a huge price difference for JC to justify.

minidriver#1
12th June 2005, 11:14 PM
JC labour costs i reckon, £65/h at JC's in Dundee... Kwik Fit were going to do my breaks for £70 where JCs in Dundee were gonna do it for £300

The Dogfather
12th June 2005, 11:45 PM
Sheilz, JC probably get someone like Kwik Fit to do it, then charge you extra :eek:

Also remember my experience of JCs not actually checking tyre tread on a service :(, just cos you pay BMW prices doesn't mean the work is any better. I reckon you'd be better off with a local independent tyre fitter......

redpoint rallying
13th June 2005, 02:59 AM
Sheilz,

I have had the 'S' alignment done by both JC and Kwik Fit.

Lets face it, JC should get it right but if you are paying for it (ie not under warranty) then my experience with.....and it pains me to say this, with Kwik Fit...was very good although I did walk out of the first Aberdeen Kwik Fit I went to due being less than impressed with the knuckle dragging moron who couldnt get his only brain cell around customer service....

I went to the KF at Mounthooly roundabout and had the alignment done by 'Andy'. The service at this depot was very good and Andy (a rallying chap too so maybe it helped!) got it set up perfectly.

Cheers!

Mini Me
13th June 2005, 04:39 AM
The wheel alignment from BMW is completly laser guided, and the car is also weighted down,so it is WAY more accurate then the kwik fit test(this is the truth,bmw hat not on):p....
And it does take at least an hour ,so depending on labour cost...peace of mind.

Duncan Stewart
13th June 2005, 04:42 AM
I assume this is for 4 wheel alignment?

Mini Me
13th June 2005, 05:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I assume this is for 4 wheel alignment?

Yup !!!:D

Scottie
13th June 2005, 05:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

The wheel alignment from BMW is completly laser guided, and the car is also weighted down,so it is WAY more accurate then the kwik fit test(this is the truth,bmw hat not on):p....
And it does take at least an hour ,so depending on labour cost...peace of mind.

glad to hear it was wondering about this when I get my JCW suspension fitted.:D;)

have been reading on mini2 some BMW garages putting things on back to front kinda thing:(

Sheilz
13th June 2005, 09:47 PM
what are the conditions for having it done under warranty? My wheels are kerbed but I didnt hammer into the kerb and wonder how on earth this could have knocked the alignment off. If its that sensitive then maybe the jc option is not the best! I think there is a very slight pull to the left how long is it ok to leave it for and apart from tyre wear and slight loss of road handling performance are there any hidden dangers I'm not sure of? I need to drive to Durham this weekend so want to be safe.

redpoint rallying
14th June 2005, 02:18 AM
Sheilz,

the KF 4 wheel alignment I had done was with 'laser' alignment equipment so as long as someone competent (see Andy as in my previous reply) does it, then all should be well. As for the four wheel alignment I had done by JC under warranty, I had excessive tyre wear on a front tyre which was discovered during a service so that seemed to comply.

If you want peace of mind as regards safety, I would get the alignment checked before you go to Durham.(With KF you can just get it done without booking it in. With JC it will more than likely need to be pre-booked)

What you describe sounds quite minor and if it was me and I couldnt get the time before going I would live with it until I got back. It doesnt sound too bad but to save my tyres I would get it looked at as soon as I got back.

Cheers!

catcook
3rd July 2005, 08:16 PM
How did you manage to get JC to do this under warranty for you? i have quite a bit of wear on one of my front tyres, the other front tyre is fine? I have yet to take it into JC for checking - don't want them to try and rip me off and charge a fortune for the privilege of them looking at it. Tyres have only done just over 13k.

My Mum is going to buying my Cooper off me very soon and i want to make sure it is 100% before selling it to her. Warranty still got 10 months to go.

Any advise appreciated.

redpoint rallying
4th July 2005, 02:31 AM
Catcook,

Not sure really, they just did it, advised me of it and I was very pleased! I assume it was part of their service which I have to say, in my experience has been second to none. Just ask them, you never know your luck, but be nice about it. You can always be a bull in a china shop at any later stage!!

Cheers!

Duncan Stewart
4th July 2005, 03:36 AM
I had 4 wheel tracking problem with a 6 month old Toyota (needed 2 new rear tyres). Toyota dealer completely refused to do anything under warranty saying I must have hit a kerb / pothole. Cost £60 for 4 wheel tracking (in 2001). Impossible to prove it's not something you have done so cannot be claimed under warranty.
Maybe get it done as goodwill like Redpoint did (If only dealers were always that good!)