PDA

View Full Version : On gas, and laughing

The Dogfather
11th June 2005, 07:48 AM
Well I've just got back from a trip up to Dornoch in the newly LPG converted Omega V6. First impressions?

Well apart from a emission light coming on, which I've been assured will correct itself once the system has bedded in properly, running on gas is as good as running on petrol. I've certainly not noticed any loss in performance and the engine runs quieter on gas.

The car has a 80 litre tank which gives about 66 litres of useable capacity. Prior to the conversion the car was giving 26 mpg and the first tank of lpg returned 24 mpg but the fuel costs 35.9p/litre rather than 82.9.

To drive a 100 miles on unleaded it would cost £14.34 but on lpg to drive the same distance it costs only £6.73.

The conversion is of first rate quality and set me back £1850 but I've got a grant of £800 towards the conversion. Whilst I was there he measured up the MINI as someone is getting a Cooper converted, you lose the boot to get a 66 litre tank. Not a problem as you still have the back seats for luggage ;).

The most interesting thing was told about is an LPG conversion for diesels, the lpg is mixed with the diesel in a 30%(lpg)/70% ratio. The conversions gives petrol performance but with diesel economy.