PDA

View Full Version : Droning noise from the rear left of Mini!

AberdeenMini
9th June 2005, 05:26 PM
Hi guys, just recently I have discovered an unusual ‘droning’ noise coming from the left side of my car when on the move, it seems to be coming from the back somewhere, so it would spear to be coming from the rear left side of the car. However the noise is quite faint and can only be heard when the stereo is off and it gets louder when the revs get higher. Also I noticed when I put my ear close to the rear wheels when the car is idling, there is a light crackling noise coming from the area behind the wheels. Anyone have any incline to what these noises could be? :question:

The exhaust also seems to be ‘coughing and spluttering’ a bit when I rev it, I don’t know if this is related but I discovered it when I got my gf to rev it. :(

So please if anyone has had similar issues or anyone has ideas I would appreciate your views/opinions.

Thanks guys:)

Steve.

AberdeenMini
9th June 2005, 06:54 PM
Just had my exhaust checked out by my mate paul at kenway tyres, there is no hole or problem with the exhaust, so the drone must be coming from somewhere else! any suggestions are welcome as to what it is.

choc
9th June 2005, 08:24 PM
maybe its a body jammed under the wheel arch

Smurf
9th June 2005, 09:06 PM
When was the last time you checked your tyre pressures?

bpirie1000
9th June 2005, 09:20 PM
Could be a shock absorber....

In fact could be anything....

Scottie
9th June 2005, 09:22 PM
could it be the diff:question:

Fontal
9th June 2005, 09:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

there is no diff at the rear they are front wheel drive:)

Scottie
9th June 2005, 10:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fontal

there is no diff at the rear they are front wheel drive:)

oh:I:I so mini don't have a back axle that is connected to the front of the motor via a big long pole type thingy. What controls the rotation of the back wheels.:question:

remember this is a womans terminology. I have no idea.

GAJ
9th June 2005, 10:36 PM
What controls the rotation of the back wheels.:question:
remember this is a womans terminology. I have no idea.

The rest of the car pulling them along the ground!;)

The Dogfather
9th June 2005, 11:27 PM
Oops, Scottie's just found out the MINI isn't 4 wheel drive!

Scottie
9th June 2005, 11:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Oops, Scottie's just found out the MINI isn't 4 wheel drive!

what you mean it isn't after all this time NOW you tell me:eek::blackeye::D:p

AberdeenMini
10th June 2005, 02:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

When was the last time you checked your tyre pressures?

I checked them two days ago cause i just got some new wheels.

AberdeenMini
10th June 2005, 02:13 AM
Hi everyone, looks like i will just take it to JC's then :disapprove:. My warranty has expired, will they charge me for just looking at it?
I hope not but i seem to remember being told that it costs something like £50 for them to just look at it :blackeye:

Gismo
10th June 2005, 02:19 AM
They will charge you just to look at it i'm afraid :(
But, the fact you just bought new wheels i'm guessing you got new tyres too :p depending on road surface etc the tyres will make a noise similar to what you describe, especially run flats or hard compound tyres

AberdeenMini
10th June 2005, 02:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

They will charge you just to look at it i'm afraid :(
But, the fact you just bought new wheels i'm guessing you got new tyres too :p depending on road surface etc the tyres will make a noise similar to what you describe, especially run flats or hard compound tyres

Hmmmm, yeah i got new tyres. I changed from 215/40 Toyo's to 205/45 Federals, both were non runflat but i cant imagine a tyre change could make the noise that its making cause it only seems to be coming from the left side, and particulary the rear :(

euan
10th June 2005, 10:15 PM
If it is the tryres, could it not be that the rear is making the same noise, but as you sit on that side the headrest may block some of it?

I'd maybe get the tyres/wheels double checked before taking it to the dealer, make sure they are properly balanced etc. (and, not knowing about tyres, if they are unidirectional and were put on the wrong way round, would you get this?)

RichardV
13th June 2005, 08:48 PM
Might be the same but I got tyres changed recently and got bad vibration from one side - turns out they hadnt used a torque wrench to tighten and therefore the bolts had loosened themselves......