PDA

View Full Version : Road charging!!! Ouch

Scottie
6th June 2005, 11:09 PM
Is my memory failing me or was this "policy" not mentioned last month in Labours Manifesto? Makes you wonder how many more "policies" they plan to introduce that were vote losers.

Scrapping Road Tax & Fuel Duty 'seems' fair except that foreign visitors and stolen/uninsured/undeclared ownership cars would end up paying nothing.

Then there is the rate charged. By my rough calculations a car doing 30mpg for 10,000 miles pa costs about 9p per mile in road tax and fuel duty. So where the hell does £1.34 per mile come into it ?????

Then there is the 'black box' tracking device fitted to each car to calculate the cost. Based on the Inland Revenue overcalculating my Income Tax EVERY YEAR until I correct it for them, does anyone honestly believe that any bills produced will be ACCURATE? And how on earth would you dispute them ????

Then there is the practicality of what mileage rate to pay staff travelling on business trips, because you can guarantee that the Inland Revenue probably won't be singing from the same hymn sheet as the DoT......

Ok up here in the north not to many motorways but what about you guys that travel Edinburgh or Glasgow = grid lock B roads.

Rant Rant Rant but who the hell voted those buggers back in.;):D:disapprove:

Big Col
6th June 2005, 11:12 PM
Why don't the just scrap road tax and put it onto petrol and Diesel. The more you use the more you pay for.

Scottie
6th June 2005, 11:17 PM
road duty stands @ 47.10 ppl on top of that you have the costof product then the VAT.

and they are not going to scrap duty only reduce the amount by how much I wonder.

The Dogfather
6th June 2005, 11:21 PM
I'm with you SC, given that the technology is still 10 years away we'll have plenty of time to vote the barstewards out though.

In reality the £1.34/mile roads will all be in the major cities down south (and Edinburgh), the busier the road the more expensive they'll be. If the rationale is to reduce congestion most roads in Scotland will actually be free because the roads are so much quieter than in Englandshire. This combined with the scrapping of fuel duty could see a reduction in the amount of 'car tax' paid by people in rural Scotland.

euan
6th June 2005, 11:51 PM
Personally, I don't want a black box anywhere near my car....

The insurance people are very keen on this as they can then see exactly how your car has been driven and will quote you accordingly, again while I'm not one of those people who flies about everywhere, I don't want them knowning when and where I'm going - I like to have some stuff that i keep to myself after all.

They will try and do all of this on the basis that it'll save you money and be fairer, however who is going to pay for the installation and maintenace of these things? It'll be the regular punter.

As an aside, they are in a way piloting this by looking at road charging for commercial vehicles - it's already done in Germany and some of the Scandinavians.

Wul
6th June 2005, 11:55 PM
Just like ID cards - another way for you to be tracked around the country!! :(

Fontal
7th June 2005, 12:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

If the rationale is to reduce congestion most roads in Scotland will actually be free because the roads are so much quieter than in Englandshire. This combined with the scrapping of fuel duty could see a reduction in the amount of 'car tax' paid by people in rural Scotland.

they will be owing me money if it goes on how busy the roads are ;)

minidriver#1
7th June 2005, 01:05 AM
I want ID Cards. and i'm not too bothered about this black box idea either especially when we dont have enough information to make an informed decision yet ;)

Big Col
7th June 2005, 03:27 AM
lol. I agree with KJ about the ID cards as I don't care since I done nowt wrong but black boxes could too easily be used to calculate distance travelled and time taken hence average speed...

With regards to KJ's opinion on the black box, this guy has made 1512 (at the time of posting) posts and still can't work the smileys so you've got to wonder how informed his opinion is ever going to be. :D:p:clown:

Wul
7th June 2005, 07:51 AM
Until you can't get on a bus without your ID card! Just like Russia/East Germany during after WW2!!

minidriver#1
7th June 2005, 08:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
lol. I agree with KJ about the ID cards as I don't care since I done nowt wrong but black boxes could too easily be used to calculate distance travelled and time taken hence average speed...

With regards to KJ's opinion on the black box, this guy has made 1512 (at the time of posting) posts and still can't work the smileys so you've got to wonder how informed his opinion is ever going to be. :D:p:clown:

I like to be different c=8)==8:evil: <--- yes, thats the glory hole scene from Scary Movie