PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Windows Problem!

Burple
4th August 2003, 07:11 PM
Hi all..

Went out to wash the car on Saturday, but before I did, I popped the bonnet and checked the oil and water - touched nothing else.
Then I hear a strange noise from the car...
So while I'm going round the car looking for the noise, the drivers side window dropped to the level it goes to when the doors open, then moved itself back up into position!
I stood an watched it (hmmm.. ;) ) for a good 5 minutes and it did this several times more, intermittently and totally at random. And this was BEFORE I washed the car, so I'm guessing water in the electrics is not to blame! (It's been dry here for a week or so).
The upshot was that I couldn't lock the car and walk away, as the window acting like this would set the alarm off.
After I washed it, I went for a bit of a cruise, and my passenger noticed that the interior light was also going on and off intermittently, and the doors stopped 'auto-locking' when I pulled away!! Then the key fob just plain refused to lock the doors...

Has anyone else had this (or a very similar) problem??
What was doen to fix it??
It seems to have fixed itself and gone away for now, but I'm very wary of leaving the car anywhere in case this happens again...
Any help gratefully recieved!!!
Ta,
Ewan

Willie M
4th August 2003, 08:37 PM
Sounds like a wee trip to the dealer to re-set the onboard computer Ewan :(
We had a little hiccup with our first Cooper. Windows decided they weren't going to 'duck down' and then up when closing the doors <ouch> :blackeye: Luckily no damage was done. The dealer told us that sometimes you can get a little 'electronic glitch' and they re-calibrated or re-set the old computer. Didn't experience any further problems.

Linda's car was acting a wee bit silly after it went in for the JCW conversion. Windows were acting up (intermittently) and the engine fan decided it wanted to come on when the car was stopped (engine off). Dealer did the old computer trick and things have been fine since.

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on :cool:

Burple
4th August 2003, 09:23 PM
Yeah... appears to be something like that..
Just so long as the wee bugger isn't doing a 'Christine' on me!! ;)
It's bad enough having an ex G/F go a bit 'bunny boiler'.... never mind the car!!!
heh heh heh...(just messin'...) ;)
Anyway it's booked in on the 13th (yikes!!!:eek:) to get the window rubber on the drivers side replaced (bad moulding), so I got them to book it in for a wee look at this too...
:cool:

duncan
4th August 2003, 10:07 PM
I was told that if you held the switch in the up position for several seconds after the window has closed(might be 7, can't remember) It reset the window position.

This seems to work on my One (Nov 01), but every now and again, it forgets and hits the door on closure.

macblob
5th August 2003, 02:28 AM
I had a prob ages ago with the windows going bananas and the doors locking , unlocking, and the interior light screwing up.

Was a faulty front door catch which was replaced ....no probs after that was done.

:D:D

Burple
5th August 2003, 07:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

I had a prob ages ago with the windows going bananas and the doors locking , unlocking, and the interior light screwing up.

Was a faulty front door catch which was replaced ....no probs after that was done.

:D:D

cheers! that sounds very like what was going on... since the interior light was going a bit'postal' too...
Seems to have been fine since (touches every piece of wood in the office and gets funny looks from workmates.. ;))

Ewan :D

GAJ
7th August 2003, 01:20 AM
My window made a horrible shrieking sound today when I closed it. Hopefully it was a one off, due to the heat.

Burple
7th August 2003, 05:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

My window made a horrible shrieking sound today when I closed it. Hopefully it was a one off, due to the heat.

yeah... they do that sometimes...
even with the tints on..
Not a nice noise all that rubber on glass!!:(