PDA

View Full Version : JCW brake upgrade

mgemie
5th June 2005, 07:58 PM
The brake kit that JCW sell - any good?

Mini Me
5th June 2005, 10:10 PM
BLOODY GOOD !!!! ,if you are ever near Stirling pop in,HUGE difference......i have driven mini's with other braking systems, but they can't touch this.Don't just take my word for it,come try !!!:p

mgemie
5th June 2005, 10:35 PM
ever the salesman!!

After collecting my car from my local dealer on friday i noticed a JCW flyer they'd 'left behind':D;):eek: in the sun visor...they know me too well!! I'm seriously considering the JCW brake upgrade after seeing the price tag - not too bad in my opinion. After having my ECU remap, new exhuast, etc etc i thought i'd better considering braking upgrades and coupled with the price of JCW kit and also that it includes warranty etc i started my beard-stroking impression and wallet hunting:D:D! I should've guessed the man himself, Iain, wouldn't be far behind my post lol.

Iain - how long does it take to JCW-erise my brakes? What does the kit include exactly - does it stretch as far as braided cables etc? Has your dealership had many people buying them?

redpoint rallying
6th June 2005, 07:25 AM
what does the kit comprise and what is the current price for it? I had a quick rake about on the JCW site but didnt see a 'kit' as such. Any info would be great!

cheers...

mgemie
6th June 2005, 05:11 PM
yeah, i was going to ask whether the kit is both front AND rear upgrades...?

minidriver#1
6th June 2005, 09:12 PM
they are only two pot callipers :S also minime i'll take you for a ride and see how my 10 pots compare ;) tee hee

the JCW brake kit is only the front AFAIK. and includes calipers, pads, discs and hoses.

redpoint rallying
7th June 2005, 02:33 AM
how much is it?

Mini Me
7th June 2005, 03:29 AM
discs and pads all round , huge big RED calipers(in ma sig) on the front £700 rings a bell, but will check for sure.....mental day :p;)

seany
7th June 2005, 04:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

discs and pads all round , huge big RED calipers(in ma sig) on the front £700 rings a bell, but will check for sure.....mental day :p;)

does it fit the cooper aswell????

mgemie
7th June 2005, 05:14 AM
yum...me like. The JCW press i saw mentioned £995 inc. fitting. Shouldn't it fit all the models (ONE/COOPER/CS?) since all are identical hubs?

RichardV
7th June 2005, 07:41 PM
Hiya!

I've been looking into this for a couple of weeks now, the difference between the Standard cooper s brakes and the works brakes was pretty noticable, although apparantly when the brakes are used continually (ie heat up) that is when you'll see the main benefit.

I think it was Scottiecoop mentioned about the Porsche Brake kit fitting nicely to the MINI but they were about £300 more and you're warranty would be voided (I think).

I was quoted £1,060 by Dunedin in Edinburgh, although I was planning to get it done at Menzies Stirling to benefit from the awesome service you get there (not that I'm crawling to try to get a wee sneaky discount or anything)..........

I definately recommend you take one with the kit fitted for a spin and see for yourself....:)

Scottie
7th June 2005, 08:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by RichardV

Hiya!

I've been looking into this for a couple of weeks now, the difference between the Standard cooper s brakes and the works brakes was pretty noticable, although apparantly when the brakes are used continually (ie heat up) that is when you'll see the main benefit.

I think it was Scottiecoop mentioned about the Porsche Brake kit fitting nicely to the MINI but they were about £300 more and you're warranty would be voided (I think).

I was quoted £1,060 by Dunedin in Edinburgh, although I was planning to get it done at Menzies Stirling to benefit from the awesome service you get there (not that I'm crawling to try to get a wee sneaky discount or anything)..........

I definately recommend you take one with the kit fitted for a spin and see for yourself....:)

don't know about the porsche brakes sorry.

I've got the JCW brakes on my Cabrio and are getting them on silver mini because they look cool not because of braking performance to be honest they don't come near the AP we had on the blue coop:) can't say the caliper looks that huge either but for £800 odd pounds you getting a nice wee JCW transfer sticker on the caliper:eek::cool:

euan
7th June 2005, 11:47 PM
I'll get a tin of paint and a bottle of tip ex and give you nice looking calipers for less than 800 notes ;)

The do look great though.

RichardV
8th June 2005, 09:03 PM
Ah apologies Scottiecoop indeed it was the AP brakes you told me about, not the Porsche! :blackeye: