PDA

View Full Version : runflat tyre question

mgemie
4th June 2005, 08:19 AM
Is it possible to fit runflat tyres to any type of alloy? I'm currently sitting with r90 17" shoes but am wondering about switching to Boss XL300 18", however, i'm wanting to stick with runflats ( yes yes i know the -VEs about runflats but i want to keep using them for safety reasons).

So, would anyone be able to say if it'd be possible to fit runflats to these BOSS XL300s?

Does anyone have BOSS xl300s on their MINI?

Link (http://www.alloywheelsonline.com/product.asp?intProdID=426&intPID=BOSS+XL300+7.5X18+WHEELS+%26+TYRES)

MartinSullivan
5th June 2005, 01:59 AM
As far as I know you cant get runflats in 18" - I might be wrong though

Gismo
5th June 2005, 02:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan
As far as I know you cant get runflats in 18" - I might be wrong though
Not far wrong, can get them in 18" but, it's the low profile you can't get :(

mgemie
5th June 2005, 02:05 AM
if i was to go for the 17" boxx xl300 would i be able to put runflats on them?

mgemie
5th June 2005, 02:06 AM
are runflat tyres specifc to rim designs or can any rim take runflats?

Gismo
5th June 2005, 04:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by mgemie
are runflat tyres specifc to rim designs or can any rim take runflats?
Not sure about that, but i would expect that you could, however, if your going the 17" route why not go for the tyre sealant option
There is a guy in Portlethen who is an agent for it, can't remember his name though
And no, he won't use the sealant on low profile tyres either, trust me, i tried for my 18's :( Just noticed that Portlethen isn't good for you :I Wul got his tyres done locally to you

mgemie
5th June 2005, 06:15 AM
what rims does Wul have?

mgemie
5th June 2005, 08:03 PM
Bonnie, if i did get a set of 17" or 18"s is there any sealant or gunky stuff (cant remember its technical name :D) that i could use and thus saving me the non-runflat puncture worry (without buying a 5th wheel?

Gismo
5th June 2005, 09:55 PM
Wul is yer man to answer this, but i found this old thread (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3203&SearchTerms=sealant)

Wul
6th June 2005, 04:28 PM
Did someone call? :p Marc - Bonnie is right - 18" wheels and low pro's are not ideal for tyre sealant - don't ask me why? but some places still do it - my 205-17-40 Alessio F1's have got it in them - there are a few DIY versions on ebay now - i got mine done with tyresafe at Seafield Coachworks here in edinburgh - but are you not out Dumfries way? Have you though of the good old tyreweld route? or even the mini compressor and sealant kit (£40 ish from minispares)?

I would absolutely hate to feel the ride on 18" run-flat tyres!! :I

mgemie
6th June 2005, 05:16 PM
Wul,
i've still got my original MINI compressor and sealant kit from when i had 15" (scary!!) - would that be okay for use on 17" or 18" tyres?

Wul
6th June 2005, 06:42 PM
It works as a "get-you-home" fix - check the manual to see what it says about 18" wheels - i'd buy a can of tyreweld too - just to be safe! :)

Gismo
6th June 2005, 07:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
It works as a "get-you-home" fix - check the manual to see what it says about 18" wheels - i'd buy a can of tyreweld too - just to be safe! :)
Correct to a certain degree, i had a puncture on the Pitlochry run and the puncture was on the inner tyre wall, the sealant just blew through the hole :(
That was on 18's with 215 35 18

mgemie
6th June 2005, 07:38 PM
so, what would be best for 18"s? Tyreweld best option overall?

Wul
6th June 2005, 08:34 PM
Depends on the severity and location of the puncture i'm afraid Marc - any puncture big enough will blow any product out! ring ring.....Hello.....Mini Rescue!!

At the end of the day you need to balance up the likelyhood of you getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere with no mobile signal - do you regularly go out to the middle of nowhere? ;)

Gismo
8th June 2005, 06:26 AM
Found this site about Ultraseal (http://www.ultraseal.biz/home1.htm)