PDA

View Full Version : Its so stupid and sad

lightbody
4th August 2003, 06:56 AM
Driving down the A9 tonight, doing a legal speed, when I see an identically coloured Classic Mini approaching from behind.

It speeds up and passes me at about 90, completely ignoring my big smile and wave.

Its so stupid and sad. I KNOW I dont have a Classic Mini. I KNOW it doesnt have 40years of history etc. etc. But it should have been a fun/funny moment and it wasn't because he was taking things WAY too seriously. This keeps happening.

He obviously has a point to prove, I didn't. (My MINI can do 125mph+, his can't top 100, so I'm not sure what point he was trying to make anyway)

duncan
4th August 2003, 07:50 AM
I know exactly what your saying, there's some real bad attitude Classic owners out there.
The ones who have the 100% BMW free stickers crack me up - especially the ones on the late build Coopers. So who owned Rover then? err, BMW?

But on the other hand, there was the guy in the classic who passed us in the opposite direction when on the Festive Run, and he was waving and flashing his lights like a mentalist!

Willie M
4th August 2003, 04:12 PM
Yeah, got to say this sort of thing irritates me too :disapprove: (I think Rob knows only too well how I feel on this subject ;)) I've witnessed first hand some of the 'hostility' that exists between classic and MINI owners :disapprove: I've got to say though that these folks thankfully seem to be in the minority.

There's a really sad letter in this months Mini Magazine from a couple who went on the Riviera Run, quite sickening. Sad thing is the couple own both a classic and a new Mini but decided to take their MINI on the run.

I'm sure attitudes will change as time moves on.

Big Col
4th August 2003, 09:36 PM
Hey lightbody. What colour is your mini? Did you carry on towards Stirling? If so did a Yellow/Black Mini pass you?

Linda M
5th August 2003, 12:40 AM
Now Rob, you know I have a huge hang up with 'certain' classic mini owners but then again you meet some real nice ones:question:

Although I have to say that some MINI owners are just as bad, I can't remember the last time I got a wave. They usually pass all frosty faced looking straight ahead :disapprove:

That's life as they say :clown: Makes it hard for someone like me though, I can't help smiling :)

Big Col
5th August 2003, 03:39 PM
I have to say I find it really worrying that people don't wave back when a blonde in a Cooper S waves at them. I really hope the MINI isn't going to become a gay icon...

macblob
6th August 2003, 01:53 AM
I hope there is friendly banter this weekend between the mini and MINI crowd in Perth, cause im really lookin forward to it :D

lightbody
6th August 2003, 08:54 PM
The MINI's already a gay icon... the Anglicans will be driving them soon... ahem...

Bic Col - yeah I did go on to stirling and Glasgow but dont remember seeing your car!

Ive discovered that the chances of a flash/wave from either a new or old Mini is much greater when you're "off the beaten track". Got lots of attention in the highlands last weekend!

Big Col
6th August 2003, 09:25 PM
I passed a MINI close to the Shell Garage at the end of the Stiling to Perth run. Blue or Black with a white roof. Thought it might have been you but I guess not.

I had a load of Tourists looking at my car over the weekend. I came out of the pub (after a cola) and scared the bejezzus outta them by dropping the windows. :D One of them had their picture taken with me as he was about 5' and I'm 6'6" so they thought it was funny that I drove a MINI.

Monsta Mo Mini
19th August 2003, 12:36 AM
I may be the only one who has noticed but there have definately been more classic mini drivers waving back in the past few weeks. The wee red one with crome wheel arches I pased in Duddingston the other day in pasticular.... he was very exciteable!

Willie M
7th October 2003, 03:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

There's a really sad letter in this months Mini Magazine from a couple who went on the Riviera Run, quite sickening. Sad thing is the couple own both a classic and a new Mini but decided to take their MINI on the run.

I'm sure attitudes will change as time moves on.
Ah, if only that were true :(

Was sitting reading the letters page in this months Mini Magazine last night and was gobsmacked by 2 replies that had been sent in response to the above:dead: The latter comments in one of the letters are really quite distasteful :disapprove:

Also very disappointed that the Editor condones replies such as this. They only continue to fan the embers of Mini / MINI bigotry.

broken_brian
2nd November 2003, 12:46 AM
I think that a lot of the mini fans would approve of the MINI if it was still part of the rover group. its not so much the car but the fact that bmw kept the rights to the mini name that upsets them.

3GGG
2nd November 2003, 02:59 AM
Well, a classic flashed his lights and let me across the road at a junction the other day near Dunfermline, so they are not all bad ;)

Smurf
24th June 2004, 04:26 AM
I flash (the lights - don't get excited...) and wave at EVERY mini I see, classic or new. (Mine is new.)
I sometimes get a response, I sometimes get the stony-faced-stare-straight-ahead look.
However, it doesn't appear to make any difference whether it's a classic or new - people are either friendly or not.

Thankfully, the people I meet and talk to are nothing but friendly!
Like an Australian on holiday in Eire a couple of weeks ago! :)

Duncan Stewart
24th June 2004, 04:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

I sometimes get a response, I sometimes get the stony-faced-stare-straight-ahead look.
However, it doesn't appear to make any difference whether it's a classic or new - people are either friendly or not.

Or sometimes they are divvies like me who don't find the light stalk fast enough to flash back :I, or are holding on to the steering wheel so hard at warp speed 1, don't have time to flash back :eek: :clown:.
But if Helen is in the car she always waves :D (unless her eyes are shut ;))

Smurf
24th June 2004, 08:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart
Or sometimes they are divvies like me who don't find the light stalk fast enough to flash back :I

Practice makes perfect !! :D

The Dogfather
5th August 2004, 05:58 PM
Or divvies like me who in their haste to flash end up switching main beam on and blinding a row of cars for half a mile.

sleepyrascal
7th August 2004, 04:07 AM
When I was at school, my friend had a classic mini. a red one, with holes in it. We had great fun bombing around Aberdeen in the wee thing. Now I have a new Cooper. and we still have fun bombing around Aberdeen in it. So why is there a divide between the two?? Many new mini drivers, are from the old skool mini years too, but they just enjoy the practicality, safety and reliability of the modern version. Seems sensible to me.

MartinSullivan
7th August 2004, 04:18 AM
I actually got a wave from a classic tonight - which cheered me up no end

dj_tigger1982
25th August 2004, 11:08 PM
I understand what you guys and gals are saying. I have a late cooper 97 and I have a sticker saying 100% BMW free. This is jsta bit of banter and it gets laughs from people when in car parks etc....

I do disagree with teh whole heritage thing but I aint getting into it.

The MINI is a coolish car... but not to my taste. The reason I don't wave at MINI drivers is if I was to make a point at waving I would be waving at nearly every 3rd car on the road. I do make a point of waving or flashing if they do it to me, But If not the average MINI driver does not care about all that waving and flashing. They just want to get to work or go shopping.

Mike

duncan
26th August 2004, 06:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by dj_tigger1982

I have a late cooper 97 and I have a sticker saying 100% BMW free. This is jsta bit of banter ....

I hope you realise the irony of the age of your car, and who owned Rover in 97:p

Sheilz
26th August 2004, 08:32 AM
I recently joined the Cooper Register but regreted it almost immediately since the first reference in their forum to MINIS was nothing more than a vitriolic rant, not just about the car and manufacturer but also about the drivers. I was quite angry about it. How dare some daft wee numpty decide what kind of person I am. Personally, I DONT DO PIGEON HOLES which is part of the reason for my choice of car. Like all other MINI drivers I can make it as individual as I am. I guess that's what makes it so unique - just like all of us. On the other hand I also know mini owners who dont hold these primitive views.
I also used to have an old cooper, many moons ago, an old C reg. The door had to be banged really hard before it would close. Unfortunately this often resulted in it falling off. Got draughty in winter!!
:D:D:D

Duncan Stewart
26th August 2004, 04:11 PM

I have a late cooper 97 and I have a sticker saying 100% BMW free.
:D:D How ironic is that!! :D:D That should be 100% BMW :eek: ;)

dj_tigger1982
26th August 2004, 05:10 PM
yeah yeah I know

But if you were to look at my car you would not know It is a 97, unless u see under the hoot or check for the cat, or relise it has an airbag.

It's jst some fun

Duncan Stewart
26th August 2004, 05:58 PM

It's jst some fun

I know :D
I with all mini owners had your attitude :D but unfortunately the is still an ignorant minority that are serious about hating the 2001 on version of the Mini :(

Scottie
26th August 2004, 06:35 PM
I had a old style cooper sold it to buy a new MINI Cooper. I would say that I got much more waves etc in the old Cooper.

The reason I think is that the vast % of owners from mini's are enthusiast. I think the vast % of MINI owners see it a just another car.

Then there is us who just love the car and would defend it to the death. But we are a small%.

X30YES
27th August 2004, 05:15 PM
Ive had a few over the years as well ,my first car cost me £40...a mini van .The mini is a Classic always will be ,but , like the Dodo it will be no more one day ,New Mini will be here for a long long time ,BMW will make sure of that I'm sure.I would still have the Classic if I had the time money etc to keep it going ...life goes on and ennjoying my third new mini now,and still love to see one of the 'old boys' passing ,stickers or not ,at the end of the day a mini is still a mini - Classic or not !

eddie 44
27th August 2004, 06:51 PM
bought a mini METRO a few years back for the soul purpose
to banger race it :D what else can you do with a metro :p
best 30 quid i,ve spent, total cost was a round £ 300 :p
harness , helmet , metal to weld a frame & transport to &
from the track. brillant day out :). it is the weirdest
thing not to brake when there are a pile of stationary cars
blocking your path :evil::evil::evil: metro finished two ft
shorter than when it started :p what a buzz :cool:

Nenah
28th August 2004, 05:40 PM
Whilst parked in Edinburgh last week a classic mini driver parked next to me and took photos of my car and gave me a friendly thumbs up sign - on the otherhand, my parents own a classic mini, and I'm embarrassed to even say, they have a sign in the back window that reads "Real Mini" and think my car is a pretentious piece of petrol guzzling plastic...bloody hippies!

Smurf
28th August 2004, 07:03 PM
I don't think it matters whether it's new or classic - some folk wave, some don't. Each to their own.

However, the other day I got a lovely wave from a guy with a classic - arm out the window!
Passed 5 new MINIs on my way to and from the supermarket yesterday - NOT ONE waved back.......

dj_tigger1982
30th August 2004, 11:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

However, the other day I got a lovely wave from a guy with a classic - arm out the window!
Passed 5 new MINIs on my way to and from the supermarket yesterday - NOT ONE waved back.......

That is cause the majority of MINI's on the road are for school runs, for people in jobs who wear shirts and ties and think of there MINI as a car, not as a bit of fun. That is teh sole reason I don't wave at MINI drivers cause the average person in there MINI does not have a clue and they look at you like you are the DEVIL (666). However I do know some MINI owners and if I see them I will wave or flash.

Big Col
30th August 2004, 11:26 PM
I was actually waved at by a woman in a red MINI with white checks on the roof but she was past before I had a chance to wave back so maybe MINI owners have slower reflexes that classic owners.

Julz
30th August 2004, 11:37 PM
That is cause the majority of MINI's on the road are for school runs, for people in jobs who wear shirts and ties and think of there MINI as a car, not as a bit of fun. That is teh sole reason I don't wave at MINI drivers cause the average person in there MINI does not have a clue and they look at you like you are the DEVIL (666). However I do know some MINI owners and if I see them I will wave or flash.

Debateable! I wave at any mini, old and new and find that it's the MINI's that wave back and the mini's that give you the finger or some other very rude gestures which I shall not go into as this is a family site! And I wouldn't say if you wear a shirt and tie to work it instantly means you're boring (not that I wear such regalia mind you!):)

GAJ
30th August 2004, 11:38 PM

Nothing to say other than :) <loosens tie> My office is boiling today!:p

Big Col
30th August 2004, 11:39 PM
Julz wears a leather leotard and stilletos to her work apparantly...

<walks away whistling innocently>

Julz
30th August 2004, 11:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Julz wears a leather leotard and stilletos to her work apparantly...

<walks away whistling innocently>

<ahem> and how do you know that then??? (yeah, I'm sure wandering onto a building site is easy in stilletos!! Used to have Stihl Autos on the E30 though!! )

Big Col
30th August 2004, 11:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz
[bryeah, I'm sure wandering onto a building site is easy in stilletos!!

Well you gotta go where the work is I guess. :D:clown:;):p:blackeye:

Julz
30th August 2004, 11:48 PM
PMSL:D:D:D:D:D

duncan
31st August 2004, 03:43 AM

For someone who doesnt seem to really like the MINI, I find it funny you're here posting on a New MINI site!;)

I also think your preaching to the wrong people, as the majority of regular forum users here will acknowledge other Minis and MINIs.

As i've said in a previous post, I think the 100% BMW free stickers are pretty churlish.

Remember, its not the car that waves/flashes/behaves like a mentalist, its the driver, and you'll get good and bad ones in both old and new Minis.

lightbody
31st August 2004, 06:31 AM
Given that they've sold 500,000 of them its hardly surprising that some of the owners think of their MINIS as 'just cars'.

It was the same in the Classic Mini's heydays. Classic Mini owners only started waving at each other in the mid 90s when there started to be so few on the road.

When I started driving classic Minis, no-one waved.

GAJ
31st August 2004, 04:28 PM
The tempestuousness of youth!;)

Julz
31st August 2004, 04:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

The tempestuousness of youth!;)

Been on the 'word a day' loo roll again?? That's a very big word for this time of the morning!!:p

GAJ
31st August 2004, 04:54 PM
Even bigger than mantelpiece, the second biggest word I know!

Julz
31st August 2004, 04:59 PM
The biggest word I know I doubt I could spell, considering my latest inabilities to tell left from right etc.... but I seem to be writing alot of emails and faxes these days using the word inconsistency!:eek::p

Big Col
31st August 2004, 05:08 PM
How about Floccinaucinihilipilification?

GAJ
31st August 2004, 05:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
How about Floccinaucinihilipilification?

That's useless!;) I'm sure someone will do better!:p

Big Col
31st August 2004, 05:33 PM
:D

MartinSullivan
31st August 2004, 05:36 PM
That's useless!;) I'm sure someone will do better!:p

The Guinness Book of Records in 1992 (and subsequent editions) declares the "longest real word" in the English language to be floccinaucinihilipilification at 29 letters. Defined as the act of estimating as worthless, its usage has been recorded as far back as 1741. In recent times its usage has been recorded in the proceedings of the US Senate (Senator Jesse Helms used the word in 1999 during the debate on the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty [Randolph V. Cinco]) and at the White House (by Press Secretary Mike McCurry in his December 6, 1995, White House Press Briefing).

Big Col
31st August 2004, 05:45 PM
Yeah but you'd have to be really intelligent to know that word Martin. ;)

MartinSullivan
31st August 2004, 05:55 PM
How come? It states a load of American Seantors etc used, slightly disproves the theory that you need to be intelligent to know it ;)

Big Col
31st August 2004, 05:59 PM
PMSL. :D:D

Duncan Stewart
31st August 2004, 08:23 PM
what about "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch" - the longest railway station name in the UK. (in Wales)
58 letters I think you will find :approve:

MartinSullivan
31st August 2004, 08:25 PM
Place names do not count as regular words - as they are not found in dictionaries. There are also heaps of chemical names longer but they dont count either for the same reason

Big Col
31st August 2004, 08:26 PM
oooh. Martin lays the smack down! ;)

Julz
31st August 2004, 08:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

what about "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch" - the longest railway station name in the UK. (in Wales)
58 letters I think you will find :approve:

That's not really a name is it, you just battered any keys on the keyboard and hoped for the best!!;):D

Smurf
1st September 2004, 01:04 AM
I think someone must have had a wee touch of catarrh when they named that station.....

:)

Big Col
7th September 2004, 06:31 PM
Awww no main! That's tragic. <sobs> Does anybody have a tissue?

Big Col
7th September 2004, 06:44 PM
You make the insulting statement "I'm sick to death of the pathetic self pity" and then try to adopt the moral high ground? Rrrrright.

Gismo
7th September 2004, 06:48 PM
I have refrained from making any comments in this thread as it is far too contraversial, even for me :evil:
But, to base an option of not buying a particular car because of self pity on a forum sounds a bit strange to me

To follow that up by saying a sensible and intelligent discussion would be enjoyable on that basis would be nigh impossible, as your mind is made up, therfore no discussion required

Julz
7th September 2004, 06:49 PM
Ok kids, pick up all the toys and put them back in the pram where they belong before I lock down this thread!;)

Ok, so there is still some tension between old and new, but if these battles of the mumps continue, there will be no peace and harmony amongst us all. So, I therefore propose a cease-fire. Regardless of old or new, we should respect each others passion for our cars and if another mini doesn't wave, it's their loss, not yours they have to live with missing out on a bit of fun. SO PLEASE, can everyone just shake hands and promise to try and get along, and no more rude gestures when I go past or I seriously will cry.

Gismo
7th September 2004, 06:58 PM
I make one comment and look what happens :evil: don't think we are near the locking down stage, loads of constructive comments to be made surely :p

GAJ
7th September 2004, 07:06 PM
I can think of a few ways to work out who is right here without this getting any more stupid;) -

1) Get a cross section of mini owners and MINI owners and see which group has the biggest dads - the biggest wins.

2) Stand a cross section of mini owners and MINI owners next to a long wall and see who can pi$$ the highest (mixed teams are permissible); the team with the highest average splash marks wins.

3) Measure the sizes of the genitals of cross sections of mini and MINI owners. Not sure who wins here though. Not sure if the groovy car/small willy thing applies here. I'll measure later!:I

Duncan Stewart
7th September 2004, 09:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by mainmini

the mini and MINI could not be further away, a mini was a cheap (seriously flawed) family runabout, whereas the MINI is an expensive (and it is for what you get) HEAVILY MARKETED, BRANDED LUXURY ITEM.

As a owner and regular driver of both a 90's and 2000's Mini I would say the cars are very similar - remember John Cooper himself was employed to ensure the 2001-on model Mini felt like a Mini.
The current Mini is quicker, smoother, less noisy and more reliable as you would expect of a new model of a car.
As for the current Mini being "HEAVILY MARKETED, BRANDED LUXURY ITEM" I think you will find that applies more to 1990's Minis than the current model.
What other car can you get with a powerful 1.6 engine, ABS, top safety rating, superb handling, etc for the same price as a Mini and the Mini will suffer far less depreciation that anything else similar so actually works out as very economical to own.
I have never used the term "Bini" for the current model but I have heard it being used to refer to earlier Mini models due to the problems the suffered with rust.
A Mini is a Mini (regardless of age) - get over it and grow up!

Big Gordy
7th September 2004, 09:01 PM
Geeze :( all this over a bl@@dy car :evil:

Big Gordy
7th September 2004, 09:10 PM
:evil:I have to agree with Dunc in that the last of the originals was so vastly overpriced it was nearly the same price as the new one :eek: I mean who would pay 10 grand for an original that still had all the same faults that the car in the 80's had :dead: And before anyone shoots me down I too have owned the original (a 76 clubman and a 84 city X) and loved them for what they were but times move on. The biggest crash I ever had was in the city X back in 92 and I was very lucky but it showed the limitations of what is realisticaly a 40 year old design. :p:D:approve:

Scottie
7th September 2004, 09:19 PM
Well I never. I cannae understand what the problem is. I wonder if VW raised this much passion over the Old and New beatle. Doubt it. So is it BMW factor? Would the people who resent the new Mini be as passionate if they were still being made by Rover. Doubt it.

So this leads me to think it's BMW they have a problem with and not Mini or the style.

See Ya.

Steve74
7th September 2004, 10:19 PM
All just sounds like simple jelousy to me. It's easier to say you hate the new one if you canny stump up the cash!

Maybe just me, but I think the old one was cool in it's day but now unless its a Cooper S vintage ex-Steve McQueen or Peter Sellers owned car I think give it a miss. Times have changed, if you want a classic car fine, otheriwise get a decent car!:evil::D

Burple
7th September 2004, 10:58 PM
Like I mentioned before.. prob in this thread... (And I know for a fact I asked this on a Classic Mini Board - my question (and it was just a simple question, nothing inflammatory) lasted roughly 48 hours, got one VERY rude answer, then a moderator removed it without any explanation.... how's that for caring mini owners? :mad::eek:)

Anyway.. Do we see Owners of Austin Minis slagging off British Leyland Minis? Morris Mini deriding and abusing Rover Mini owners? Mk1 cooper owners slagging off RSP or SPi or Mpi Cooper owners? will this be te next in snobbery? Mini has been owned by several different manufacturers during it's long and eventful life...
Yes.. I know my Minis, No, the new one is not 'just a car' it's a long overdue evolution. What if Rover had built the new mini? what nasty piece of plastic would the world have been given? BMW have done a very good job (both with the car and the marketing) in keeping Mini alive - nothing like the 'new' Beetle (the Golf with a fancy Frock on)
Every car I have ever owned has been a Mini of some description (except for the my first - the vauxhal Chevette - but lets not go there ;))
I don't have a problem woth the banter - it's what makes this fun too, but when it gets serious, it's all a bit discouraging. Especially when you go to big events like the IMM and people you've known for years won't even speak because they see you driving a new Mini. That's really pathetic and sad. :(
Why can't everyone just be grown up and tolerant of the fact that we all have different tastes and forget all the bitching and fighting and concentrate on keeping the Mini spirit alive... It's whay we do all this isn't it?

I don't care who waves at me or not, if you don't then you're ignorant (or just don't know any better) so is it worth getting stressed about? But as for the rude gestures? These people need to grow up... If someone else in a non Mini waved or flashed at them simply because they saw it was a mini and were showin appreciation, would they give the finger back or worse? I wouldn't imagine so...

There now... look... you've made me go and rant again.. haven't had one of these for a while! ;):D
So put yer Dollies back in the pram and come and have a beer and a giggle with me!

p.s.. It was voted at the IMM this year (by 37 votes to 32 or something similar) to allow the new Mini to future IMMs! Some sense there at last by some!

:):p:D

broken_brian
7th September 2004, 11:22 PM

I can think of a few ways to work out who is right here without this getting any more stupid;) -

1) Get a cross section of mini owners and MINI owners and see which group has the biggest dads - the biggest wins.

2) Stand a cross section of mini owners and MINI owners next to a long wall and see who can pi$$ the highest (mixed teams are permissible); the team with the highest average splash marks wins.

3) Measure the sizes of the genitals of cross sections of mini and MINI owners. Not sure who wins here though. Not sure if the groovy car/small willy thing applies here. I'll measure later!:I

oi no fair with point no 2 you have big col on your team:mad:

but then again you also have low n loud:p

and as for point 3 is it not big car small pecker so therefor the classic owners would will that easily;)

dj_tigger1982
7th September 2004, 11:37 PM
I would like to say for the record That I do not have a problem with MINI owners. I know quite a few. And the reasons why I post on this site is not to Slag or anoy MINI owners but to share and try and get on with them. I have posted many times about the MITP caonvoy which I am planning from livingstone to the event. I could have been evil and left NMS out but no, because I don't belive in that.

I do however not think I should have to wave at every Bloody new MINI that drives past. As said before I woild be constantly waving. When the new MINI first came about I did wave at the occasional one here and there, Mainly the coopers and the cooper s's because these peole see the car for what it is. But now I don't bother unless I reconise the car or see it on a daily basis when going to work etc. I went to the gyle a few nights ago and I passed 5 MINI's in the space of 3 miles. Not one of them waved to me, I did and sometimes do attempt to make a feindly gesture but usually end up with nothing in return. Makes me think why bother. So that is why I no longer wave.

I do agree with what was said above about BMW being completely anal by suein anyone with the name mini in there domain and in there company name. In some cases and one in particular in the USA a company actualy went bankrupt because BMW sued them for trading with the name, even altho the company had been around for 25 years... IS that right.... NO

Once again, I have nothing against MINI owners

RANT OVER

Smurf
7th September 2004, 11:59 PM
A good note - on my way home today, I flashed at a pretty mental looking classic Mini (nice, by the way), and he waved back!

Woo hoo!

All is not lost!

May I add that I flashed the LIGHTS in my new shape MINI - nothing else! :)

Lets all give up the arguing, and just have fun.
Lots of people in all ages of minis give me all sorts of reactions when I wave. Those who ignore me aren't worth the bother, and I just get on with my day.

Scottie
8th September 2004, 12:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
Anyway.. Do we see Owners of Austin Minis slagging off British Leyland Minis? Morris Mini deriding and abusing Rover Mini owners? Mk1 cooper owners slagging off RSP or SPi or Mpi Cooper owners? will this be te next in snobbery? Mini has been owned by several different manufacturers during it's long and eventful life...
Yes.. I know my Minis,

H'mmm I'm sure youre right. But if you go to company house I'm sure you'll find that these companies had the same board of Directors Chifs Exects etc.:p:D

Duncan Stewart
8th September 2004, 12:22 AM
mmm.... I think I need to slow down and get one hand off the steering wheel/gearnob so I can wave or flash quick enough when I see other minis flash / wave ;)

Big Col
8th September 2004, 03:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

:evil:I have to agree with Dunc in that the last of the originals was so vastly overpriced it was nearly the same price as the new one :eek: I mean who would pay 10 grand for an original that still had all the same faults that the car in the 80's had :dead: And before anyone shoots me down I too have owned the original (a 76 clubman and a 84 city X) and loved them for what they were but times move on. The biggest crash I ever had was in the city X back in 92 and I was very lucky but it showed the limitations of what is realisticaly a 40 year old design. :p:D:approve:

Heh heh. and in his post before this one Big G gets all high and mighty saying "All this over a car". :cool::D

Big Gordy
8th September 2004, 04:23 PM
quote:Heh heh. and in his post before this one Big G gets all high and mighty saying "All this over a car".
:evil:............and if you don't clean yours soon I'm taking the keys off you 'shorty' :D Its not yellow anymore its a kind of yucky mustard colour :dead: :p:D:approve:

Big Col
8th September 2004, 04:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

:evil:............and if you don't clean yours soon I'm taking the keys off you 'shorty' :D Its not yellow anymore its a kind of yucky mustard colour :dead: :p:D:approve:

Yeah that's a fair comment. Wul would slap my face. :I

Steph
19th September 2004, 04:37 AM
I guess I keep my rosy specs on too much. So much cynicism, so much angst. All minis are cool, whatever their generation and whoever is driving. Even the 300 quid brown one I borrowed from my dad when I got my license, and my first car, an electric blue Italian Job 'K' reg. It was great, I loved it - in spite of it ditching all the oil from the engine because of a loose gizmo. Lots of black smoke! Would have been nice if I'd got good service from Rover - failed to tell me I had a bald tyre at a service, grounded it on their ramp breaking an exhaust pipe bracket etc. Oh, and blaming the loss of all oil on me for buying the mini in the first place! But I still loved the car.
The latest generation just adds to the legend, and is even more practical for the essential things in life like transporting a pair of big floor standing speakers! I feel I've got the mini essence I've always loved, but with greater shopping capacity :D

minihabit
16th October 2004, 06:42 PM
Hi All, Just joined the forum and, as we are to be new owners, followed this first.

Just read thru this thread and will add my shillings worth.....

We own 4 Minis including a rally prepared 970s so could be said we are classic fans. But, we have just ordered a Convertible BINI (easier in our house as saying go and move the mini can take to long...) because it is a nice car and has the Mini appeal!

I have been in the Cooper Register for over 10 years and I remember the vitriol when the 'new' rover cooper came out and wanted to join the register - it was just as bad! Oh and we also get shunned by some because we have a 1275GT - not a round nose you see....!

My thoughts are, that all cars generate enhusiasts (even Allegros!) and if like minded folk get together and enjoy them - great!

We look forward to getting our BINI in time for Christmas and having as much fun with as we do with the Classic collection - even though it will upset some of our 'friends' in the classic clubs...

I'm looking forward to a lot less rust, 5 year servicing, 3 year warranty, and as much fun driving as we get at the moment....

having said all that - must go and lie down....

Brian

MartinSullivan
16th October 2004, 07:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by minihabit
My thoughts are, that all cars generate enhusiasts (even Allegros!)

Surely NOT :(:blackeye::eek:

http://members.aol.com/acicars/allegro2.jpg

Just checked actually and hes right - I give you the Allegro Owners Club (http://members.aol.com/acicars/abtaci.htm)

lightbody
16th October 2004, 09:21 PM
Hi Martin, welcome to the forum!

Lucky you being able to have 5 cars, unfortunately i can only have one and only have access to one, so i need something a bit special, reliable, fun and that i can be genuinely enthusiastic about! I think i might actually be MORE enthusiastic about my MINI than I was about my classics.

I'm not sure about the others on here, but i don't like it being called a BINI! I guess i'm just used to that word being used to dismiss the car as not a Mini and just the smallest BMW - which is a huge over-simplification of its tortured development!

I've just spent ages on various Allegro sites! I have a horrible childhood memory of being trapped in the back of an Allegro estate, alone, when the handbrake failed and it ran down the steep hill outside my primary school!

MartinSullivan
16th October 2004, 09:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum!

Ive been here for ages mate - he's called Brian I think!!!!

lightbody
17th October 2004, 03:12 AM
Ooops, sorry Martin - i know you have - just hadn't had my morning coffee yet!!

minihabit
17th October 2004, 04:45 AM
Mmm,

As I'm refering to a car that my wife has just spent 16K on I'm pretty sure I'm not being derogatory...!

Picture the scene.. 'Brian go and move the MINI/Mini. Obviously when spoken aloud there is no way of knowing which one is being referred to, so its Brian go and move the S or GT or Estate or Grannys car (don't ask) and now the BINI!

purely affectionate I assure you!

5 cars is just a bad habit gone wrong over many years and an understanding wife!

(helps that I can insure all 4 for the price of insuring 1 New MINI...)

Brian

minihabit
17th October 2004, 04:47 AM
PS

The tortured development referred to was mainly done by ROVER - I have spoken to one of the engineers.....

Duncan Stewart
18th October 2004, 05:20 AM
Welcome Brian. :D Funny how things change - I hate the term "Bini" as years ago it was used to slag of my & my friends Minis by people who didn't like them :evil: (fools!:clown:), refering to they way they rusted. This was before the BMW version was even thought of. :D

edit - canny spell!

minihabit
18th October 2004, 07:38 AM
Quote of the week

'rust is lighter than titanium'

and yes it was on a racing Mini

arthur_pendragon
25th March 2005, 07:32 AM
quote:1* Originally posted by Steve74

All just sounds like simple jelousy to me. It's easier to say you hate the new one if you canny stump up the cash!

2* Maybe just me, but I think the old one was cool in it's day but now unless its a Cooper S vintage ex-Steve McQueen or Peter Sellers owned car I think give it a miss. Times have changed, if you want a classic car fine, otheriwise get a decent car!:evil::D

1* It's not actually jealousy or because i can't stump up the cash... it's simply because i don't like them.. they totally divert from what the mini name is supposed to be.....

2* each to thier own, i wouldn't drive an austin allegro, or a princess.... but some mans gold is another mans rubbish.... and as for a decent car, since buying mine, i've actually spent alot less on repairs than i have on my modern car....

Ta

arthur

sleepyrascal
25th March 2005, 11:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by arthur_pendragon

quote:1* Originally posted by Steve74

2* Maybe just me, but I think the old one was cool in it's day but now unless its a Cooper S vintage ex-Steve McQueen or Peter Sellers owned car I think give it a miss. Times have changed, if you want a classic car fine, otheriwise get a decent car!:evil::D

1* It's not actually jealousy or because i can't stump up the cash... it's simply because i don't like them.. they totally divert from what the mini name is supposed to be.....

2* each to thier own, i wouldn't drive an austin allegro, or a princess.... but some mans gold is another mans rubbish.... and as for a decent car, since buying mine, i've actually spent alot less on repairs than i have on my modern car....

Ta

arthur

whats the mini name supposed to be Arthur?

Wul
25th March 2005, 04:42 PM
I reckon he means MINI = "mini" as in ickle sleepy. <sighs> why oh why do these people want to keep trying to make all the people at the oxford plant un-employed over the name of a car!!:disapprove:

The Dogfather
25th March 2005, 06:46 PM
My tuppence!

mini - A great car, an icon! A British developed small car that was so ahead of it's time it was able to continue for 40 years with very little development, just think what might have been if BL/Rover had continued to develop/redesign the car over those 40 years.

I drove a H reg (new style H) 1300 Cooper as I was considering swaping from my Citroen AX Forte. I didn't swap because the Cooper whilst fun was a terrible car in comparison to the modern AX (which is crap now in comparison to a modern supermini). It was noisey, it dropped oil, it had rust (only 4 years old at the time), 4 speed box, slow, unsafe etc.

Now if I was in the market for a second classic car then a mini would be top of my list and I would be willing to ignore it's faults and revel in the nostalgia but as an everyday car? No thanks!

MINI - developed initially by Rover but completed by BMW, built in the UK in a modern factory. They might have got the dimensions wrong but they certainly captured the spirit of the original coopers. They even managed to source the coarse engine just like the A series ;).

As a modern car which sets out to emulate the original I can't fault the new MINI. It's right up there with the best small hatchbacks why? because BMW had a hand in it's development. Rover has never been able to build a decent, reliable car without outside assistance.

Arthur - my message to you! Get over it, it's time to move on yes it's not a mini it's a MINI, a modern Brit built interpretation of a past icon and unlike BL/Rover, BMW has seen fit to invest (a sh!tload of money) in the future of the MINI name allowing it to live on long after the will have classics have rusted away. It's called progress, but with a name like Arthur Pendragon you're probably incapable of looking forward!

I will always have a soft spot for the mini and I might even end up owning one (a 60s cooper S would be my choice). The fact remains - the mini is dead, so long live the MINI!

davesminis
25th March 2005, 09:24 PM
I would like my tuppence worth in here too if I could,

The Mini community is a great thing. However you get some BMW Mini drivers who are not part of the community and do not wave flash or do anything for BMW drivers let alone classic drivers. In the same way you get classic drivers who do not flash other classics (which I find most irritating) let alone BMW minis. Maybe these are the drivers who you have flashed and they dont seem to want to know??

For those who are part of the mini community I cant understand why there is even a thread discussing such things. I hate the 100% BMW free stickers too and would never have one on my classics.

The classic mini is an icon, 40 years of history, 40 years of loving and being loved by the british public. That time is not gone, its still here. I believe that this is helped by the new mini. There really shouldnt be two communities of mini fan (in my humble oppimion) we all love the same thing about the cars!!
The MINI is fun, it is an icon - thats what we love - classic or new - its that simple!!
The classic was and is unreliable, inpractical and damn noisey - But a hell of a lot of fun!
The new mini is very impractical and has just as many rattles - But its a hell of a lot of fun!
Twiggy and peter sellers had the classic mini, where madonna and even the gret russ swift have new ones.

Anyone else noticing the similarities here?????

Yes, BMW could have done a better job of the mini, by using non american engines
but would rover have made a better job of designing a new mini than the one that we all know and love - I think not!!

Sorry, for the long explanation of my thoughts,

Dave ( classic and new mini enthusiast/owner)

minidave
22nd July 2005, 10:31 PM
why did you restart the thread then??

Smurf
22nd July 2005, 11:54 PM
My thoughts too......

This has been left alone for so long!

Wul
23rd July 2005, 12:06 AM
If the thread is not locked then people are entitled to post their opinions......no?

Smurf
23rd July 2005, 01:41 AM
Oh yes, entitled, not denying that. :D
I wasn't meaning anything nasty.
Just wondered why now.....
When the thread hadn't been posted in for so long....

GAJ
23rd July 2005, 03:33 AM
There's no way this thread is getting locked! I get my kill every time I read it! As Bob would say 'You just wouldn't let it lie!':)

The Dogfather
31st July 2005, 08:43 AM
This thread makes some interesting reading especially after the fake MINI thread, it's a shame that a lot of the posts have been deleted by the classic drivers so it's not possible to see what was said by the interlopers (spelling?). Some of the comments can still be read in the quotes.

It seems our 'friends' at ESMOC are guilty of double standards........

Big Col
1st August 2005, 03:58 PM
<takes the HUGE spoon off of BDM> I think we should keep the bickering to just one thread mr. Gaskell! Otherwise we might miss a good bit! ;)

Monsta Mo Mini
1st August 2005, 05:03 PM
Paul...let it lie ;)

minidave
1st August 2005, 06:02 PM
i'm sorry i can't beleive you guys..

dilligaf
9th January 2006, 07:44 PM
That also irritates the s**te out of me as i own a classic that is probably older than some of the drivers if you check the thread for classic Mini's under the title my other cars a Mini,
one day we will all get on and wave,

1275cooper
19th January 2006, 12:41 PM
howdy!

I gotta classic mini and feel i should add my tuppence worth (sorry - cant spell)

I wave back at MINI drivers who wave at me, dont wave at them normally as there's just far too many of them!!
Also, sumone sumwhere asked about VW and the new beetle, when i was on holiday in newquay there were hundreds of old beetle's with 100% air cooled stickers on them,so they gotta old/new divide aswell

But basically i think its unfair to class all new/old mini drivers as with my classic i've had great banter with new owners and they're young pretenders against my absolute classic, and i've also been laughed at by new owners, today: washing my car (in the street - aint got a drive) two absolute w**kers (trust me - its not unfair) pulled up beside me in ther 05 plate softtop mini with the hood down laughed at me, told me i drove a peice of crap, then sped away burning rubber? Which was nice!!

Only thing that cheered me up was a softop 350z came round the corner about an hour later and asked if i'd like to swap cars with him, i declined tho!

Finally, somebody here said people buy the old mini as they don't have enough coin to buy a new one? Now thats absolute s**t! Ever heard of the 16v mini owners club? Think everybody wants to be a member of that club! just far too much work to get into such an exclusive club!!

Big Col
19th January 2006, 04:09 PM
Softop driver with the hood down in this weather are questionable anyway mate. :) Welcome to the site and I hope you stick around. Despite a lot of the rubbish posted on this thread from both sides we're no a bad bunch really. :)

Wul
19th January 2006, 05:21 PM
Ditto what /\/\/\/\ said mate - feel free to join in the banter on the other threads :)

Gismo
19th January 2006, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the site, get yourself anlong to the "introduce yourself" forum and let us all know what you drive etc
As Col mentioned, we're not a bad bunch and welcome everyone in for the banter :)

Crombers
19th January 2006, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the site mate. Like many others I drove the classic (3 of them) & if possible would own both If I could. Speaking of which some lucky guys & gals will be along shorty who are exactly in that lucky position.

Craig
19th January 2006, 09:07 PM
I would be one of those lucky individuals. Like any owner of any car you get the odd to$$er so what I would say is take everyone on face value, don't tar everyone with the same brush;)

This is my third classic and my second MINI (OK the first MINI was Jude's :D)

My Classic (Dougal) will only be out when there is no salt on the road and once he has had a wee bit of refurb, he will be good as new... I love driving the wee boy, but I couldn't drive it every day (if you have ever seen me, you know why..:D)

Knottie is much easier to live with day to day, however I wouldn't change either of them. They both have differences which is the point.

anyway, glad you made it along, you should be made to feel very welcome... Any Piccies??

:D:D:D:D

Smurf
19th January 2006, 11:43 PM
I guess I'd be one of those lucky wee so-n-so's too!
I have my second MINI too - lovin' this one even more than the last.
And we have a mental Turbo charged A series classic (who is in bits at the moment, but hopefully not long till he's back up and running again.) Taken out in all weathers, but it's a bit leaky and uncomfortable in the rain!

Love them both, always have, always will. Different beasties, but rather similar in many ways.

Most folk on here love both breeds! :D