PDA

View Full Version : If you're sellin' or have sold why! Come on tell>

The Dogfather
2nd June 2005, 06:13 AM
As not to clog up the For sale topics I thought I'd ask why some of us have chosen to become ex-MINI owners!

macblob
2nd June 2005, 06:32 AM
Loved my cooper, but had a load of niggly problems and was in and out dealers for 1st 6 months at least. (was a very early car). Kind of put me off keeping it past its warranty period.
At the time of selling, got very good money on trade in and decided to get something more practical as its our only car, plus for the spec of mini I would have wanted if I'd bought another one it was going to cost me a small fortune.

Scottie
2nd June 2005, 07:01 AM
To be honest the moment I bought and then drove our Cabrio with the JCW I realised what a big mistake we had made getting the engine modified in the blue mini by anything other than JCW. Got to the stage I didn't enjoy or want to drive have kept going on about it to Allan for the past six months or so. After coming down the road last Friday he said ok lets get rid.
I can honestly say I would never get any car chipped remapped or modified other than by a dealer recommend product i.e. JCW or Prodrive etc etc. The JCW just seems to fit the car really well This is just IMO and experience. I know loads of folk who have modified and have been more than happy.:) burnt my fingers on the blue mini I'll not do that again in a hurry p.s. a modified engine = nightmare when comes to selling.

Willie M
2nd June 2005, 04:02 PM
A change in priorities led me to sell my JCW S a few months back. Not such a huge loss as my wife still has one and she does allow me a wee shot from time to time ;):D

To be honest I went through a love/hate relationship with the MINI over the course of about a year. I absolutely loved the style, handling and performance of the car but hated the harsh ride (runflats) and, at times, the infuriating 'quality' niggles :mad:

A few have asked me if I'm missing the MINI. To be honest, not at the moment. Would I have another one in the future? Who knows. Never say never ;)

Julz
2nd June 2005, 04:02 PM
I've always wanted an evo! When I got my mini, it was either that or an evo and it just so happened that my mini took her stroppy turn at the same time that mitsi were doing 4k off and 3 years free servicing!;):D

Fontal
2nd June 2005, 04:28 PM
Two kids nuff said ;)

Gismo
2nd June 2005, 04:43 PM
I really wanted to keep my S, but, it was coming up for 3 years old and the warranty was due to expire, albeit not a lot left for MINI to take care of ;)
Looking back i slightly over modified the car, but, it was my choice and for the whole the mods were cosmetic, but, all the hi-fi stuff was used to it's fullest potential.
Knowing that Julz's car played up increased my concern for big repair bills and just basically wanted out.
Reason for the scooby was they were the only dealer willing to part exchange.
But, i enjoy the mini scene too much to just be looking in, i needed to get back into a mini, thus the cooper.
It's a sensible choice, having the family beemer takes care of long journeys and holidays etc
Will probably always have a mini in the garage :cool:

Monsta Mo Mini
2nd June 2005, 04:49 PM
Our new arrival made the MINI completely impractical. going anywhere we took the 'other ' car which meant the MINI didn't move from the drive for 3 months!:( I do miss the fun handling but like Brian, I was in and out of the dealers 13 times with warranty issues - I've NEVER had so much trouble with a car and believe me I've owned some really dodgy motors:I. Maybe I will get another one when its a viable proposition but for now it's the sensible 4 dr family euro box for the forseeable future:D

euan
2nd June 2005, 10:32 PM
I'd had a mini in some form or another for 4 years and in the end the ride killed me. The run flats just spoiled it for me. I'd started doing more motorway miles and I got fed up with the constant battle between stereo, tyre noise, engine noise and wind noise. That and the state the R90's were getting in.

The beemer makes more sense for me now, covers the miles so easily. I think having the space in the new car was another factor, as I got fed up trying to arrange my shopping bags in the boot! Although it did mean that when you got home everything was where you left it - I now have to dig about at the back for some random item that's gone flying. Need to invest in some kind of luggage net me thinks:)

Do I miss it? Well, yes and no. Miss the ability to park in daft wee spaces, but don't miss the ride at all.

Tahra
7th June 2005, 01:47 AM
Helloooooo,
Well guess what I've paid you a visit after looking at the Mini Mart Site !!!! We sold our S after being amazed at what we were offered by a garage for a one year old car, it seemed a really sensible thing to do and stopped us worrying about anything happening to it whilst parked on the street. I really do miss it (sometimes), espec compared to driving the tank. But thats been 8 months now and Im fed up so as J still wont let me have a Figaro Ive found a wee John Cooper LE that he's promised we can have a proper look at as I dont think the S2000 will be arriving with big bow on it this year !

KenL
7th June 2005, 04:37 PM
I would have bought another if it wasn't such a badly built car!

10 visits to the dealer totalling about 30 days is just not good enough, even after that a lot of the issues were not fixed. The interior looks great but the fact that just about every piece of trim in mine buzzed/rattled/squeaked drove me nuts.

Although only 2 of us in the family it was a bit impractical especially with my golf clubs which of course required the seat to be put down. Also the ride around town was a bit unsettling even though I had a ONE with regular tyres.

I would though consider another in the future as it is such a cool car. Maybe when the new version comes on it will again be worth considering. Unless of course I can afford a mkV GTI.

Steve74
8th June 2005, 04:38 AM
Like a lot of other ex-mini owners I had so many warranty issues the car just stopped being special and became a pane in the @rse. With buzzing and rattling trim, faulty clutches and everyone in the world seeming to be buying one I sold it.

Although I lost 5k trading it in after a year I'm glad I bought the Boxster. I was after something faster and the JCW test drive just didn't seem to make that much difference. I also fancied rear wheel drive.

Having driven the new 987 on the track on Monday this week with an instructor all I can say is wow! Ive never been so sht scared in my life while having fun. Ironically the Porsche is being replaced under warranty for a number of minor faults (paint flaws and the like) but at least I get to choose other options I'd wished I'd got in the first place.

KenL
8th June 2005, 04:26 PM
I'm so jealous of your Porsche but also amazed that you would need it replaced. Looks like good customer service though unlike the fight many MINI owners face.

Steve74
9th June 2005, 02:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

I'm so jealous of your Porsche but also amazed that you would need it replaced. Looks like good customer service though unlike the fight many MINI owners face.

The customer service was appauling from Porsche GB and the dealer for the most part in my opinion, you wouldn't bellieve the things they did and got up to. After 5 weeks of constant pressure to fix the issue the dealer did the right thing and sorted me out with a new car. Track day on Monday in another Boxster went a long way in the right direction to restoring my faith with them.

The Mini was constant trouble but when I switched dealer to Dunedin they sorted things out really well there.

Mini Martyn
9th June 2005, 05:10 PM
Steve what garage did you get your Porsche from?

AerokitScot69
9th June 2005, 06:14 PM
got a reliant robin

N12 JLK
10th June 2005, 04:50 AM
would never get rid of my beloved chillie red cooper, ok its only 3 weeks old but had a One for 2 years and never had a problem, Menzies were always great to deal with (ok there may have been some flaws in Mr Browns patter,only joking:D).
Must be like most things in life in any mass produced product there will always be ones that will fail!:approve: My heart goes out to all the people who have been berieved in loosing there Mini.:(:(:(:(:disapprove::disapprove:

Steve74
10th June 2005, 06:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mini Martyn

Steve what garage did you get your Porsche from?

I'd best not say on a public forum. But to be fair they have sorted it out now.

Lesley - relieved not bereaved! Well thought that until the Porker fell to bits!:(:(;)