PDA

View Full Version : Paint job !!

Tahra
1st August 2003, 04:33 PM
Now that my lovely cheque from my flat is on the way to the bank - Im feeling flush ( for a wee while at least, until I do something more sensible with it). I really want to get the MINI resprayed. Does anyone know if this effects the TLC ? At the rate our mileage is going we'll be at the 50,000 long before the 5 years anyway. I was thinking of trying to get somewhere that would do BMW paint, just not a normal MINI colour !;)

lightbody
1st August 2003, 05:19 PM
Your warranty is unlimited mileage/3years as far as I recall.

Your corrosion/bodywork warranty is much longer than that though and would, i assume, be cancelled by a respray??

I can't see how it would affect the TLC thing though which is just the first few services for free.

Tahra
1st August 2003, 06:10 PM
Sorry, I did mean to mention the warranty too, not just the TLC. Thats why I wondered if as long as you used recognised paint, as it were, would this be okay ?? After all you might have to respray after damage would that mean the corrosion part of your warranty would be invalidated then too ?? If I have to wait out the warranty then it'll be a Christmas present to myself next year as ours was born August 01......guess I can put up with it being a very normal colour, if I really have to. Maybe should try and find the guy with the bright orange MINI on MINI2, definately not a normal colour !

Woz
1st August 2003, 09:30 PM
You are best talking to your dealer and if they say its OK ask for the confirmation in writing. They have no argument then :)

macblob
4th August 2003, 06:27 AM
Is a full respray not going to be extremely expensive as the interior will need striped etc so that insides of the doors etc match the new choosen colour?

Just thought this may lead to more rattles , squeaks etc that we have all become acustomed to.

Dont know if the above is correct, just a thought :D

Tahra
4th August 2003, 11:21 PM
Its probably going to be hellish expensive - it'll be my present to myself for making a profit on my flat. Going to speak to Morrison's and then maybe get a quote or two - faint in horror, do a roof decal or stripes instead, then give in to J's pleading to upgrade and being even more out of pocket and probably deafened by rattles !

minidriver#1
4th August 2003, 11:37 PM
its also going to be suspicious when it comes to selling the car, no one is going to want the car unless the entire shell has been resprayed, including the engine bay, inside the body, everywhere. Is it really worth it? I was going to get a respray on my 11 year old pug 106, but i wouldnt think of doing it to the mini.

I guess if you are wanting to keep the car for years and years, then it'll be ok.

Tahra
13th August 2003, 12:47 AM
Well as it turns out it wouldnt effect the warranty or the TLC as long as you get it done by a BMW approved bodyshop - even went as far as getting a quote ( wasnt as bad as I was expecting )and they were doing everywhere apart from engine bay and lets face it most of that is covered up with deadening and engine !! I keep getting told it would look suspicious when it comes to reselling but as someone said on Mini 2 you're probably just as likely to get someone to fall in love with it just cos it is different.... Anyway its all a bit academic now - J's offered lots of incentives for me not to do it and Im wondering whether to go for a Classic to play with.......