PDA

View Full Version : In Car PC - Would people buy one?

The Dogfather
23rd May 2005, 03:48 PM
Please don't turn this into a MAC vs PC debate, go somewhere else if you want to do that, thanks:D!

I would like to gauge if there would be any interest in a In-Car PC. First what it can/will do: -
* Sat Nav with Voice instructions and warnings, import speed camera databases * 8" touch screen * Direct access to itunes software * Reverse and Forward Cameras with record facility * Email/Internet via wifi hotspots and GPRS mobile* Live traffic updates * DVD and TV (optional 5.1 sound) * Engine Management system changes on the fly* Voice control

I reckon the system would retail for about £1500 - £1700 depending on spec with an AUX in stereo and fitting included!

I'm not taking orders but looking to see if this could be a viable business, if there's enough interest I will go ahead and build a prototype version to test!

MartinSullivan
23rd May 2005, 04:14 PM
From past experience most people that want this would build there own - using the information and car PC interfaces available on the internet.

GAJ
23rd May 2005, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't buy what you suggest.

The Dogfather
23rd May 2005, 05:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I wouldn't buy what you suggest.

If it was MAC based?

GAJ
23rd May 2005, 05:30 PM
Still no I'm afraid! Got to agree with Martin, most people who would be interested would be tempted to do it themselves I think. £1700 is a lot of money for a gadget!

minidriver#1
23rd May 2005, 05:57 PM
most people requiring this would probably slap their own laptop into their cars, something i am in the process of doing, and alot of my cruiser mates have done this also.

The Dogfather
23rd May 2005, 06:45 PM
Ah well, another business idea bites!

minimadtez
24th May 2005, 03:08 AM
Ermmm no thanks.....

My car likes being driven best :D

Kosta
24th May 2005, 03:22 AM
is this the same as that "dreamsoft" i think they use on pimp my ride?

The Dogfather
24th May 2005, 03:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by Kosta

No this would be a custom made PC put together by me, I'll also designing my own user interface based on Windows XP Media Centre.

minimadtez
24th May 2005, 03:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

No this would be a custom made PC put together by me, I'll also designing my own user interface based on Windows XP Media Centre.

U can do all this but u cant fix buzzing speakers?! :p

Sorry, just being cheeky :D

The Dogfather
24th May 2005, 03:52 AM
Speakers aren't the problem :p, I've traced the noise to the door panel, I'll have to put bass blockers in and a sub.....

I've decided to stop spending on the MINI, as it'll be going within the year (to be replaced with another MINI BTW :D), the PC will be built into the Omega.

The idea behind the PC is to do more than a in-dash GPS system for similar money, I intend to create my own database of speed camera locations which can be imported into the GPS system as warnings, similar to the road angel system. This plus a MP3 database which syncs with my home PC when I pull up on the driveway.

The advantage of a PC based system is you can add to it at a later date simply by plugging in a new component

minimadtez
24th May 2005, 04:00 AM

Speakers aren't the problem :p, I've traced the noise to the door panel, I'll have to put bass blockers in and a sub.....

I've decided to stop spending on the MINI, as it'll be going within the year (to be replaced with another MINI BTW :D), the PC will be built into the Omega.

The idea behind the PC is to do more than a in-dash GPS system for similar money, I intend to create my own database of speed camera locations which can be imported into the GPS system as warnings, similar to the road angel system. This plus a MP3 database which syncs with my home PC when I pull up on the driveway.

The advantage of a PC based system is you can add to it at a later date simply by plugging in a new component

whatever floats yer boat :p ill stick to driving :D

The Dogfather
24th May 2005, 04:05 AM
You should you need the practice ;)

minimadtez
24th May 2005, 04:07 AM

You should you need the practice ;)

CHEEKY!!! :(
at least my brakes work! :D
ok lets not turn this into a slagging match.....my cars better than urs, end of story :D:D (im female, therefore im right :p)

minidriver#1
24th May 2005, 04:35 AM

User interface as in a custom skin? :D:p

It could work but you'd have some serious competition from branded items which offer similar functionality. A dude on mini2 has done this already i think by removing the center console and rebuilding it with an integrated touch screen... Also pimp my ride last night had a voice recognition based interface for an in car PC they build for the lucky winner.

The Dogfather
24th May 2005, 05:04 AM
Not sure yet KJ, there's a lot of people who developed Car PC software but having tried a few they seem a bit flakey.

I was thinking of the Media Centre Edition of Windows XP, the voice activation can be added by using something like Dragon Naturally Speaking. I'm looking to either build the Screen into the dash (the omega has a double din stereo) mount in on the roof inplace of the rear view mirror.

minidriver#1
24th May 2005, 05:18 AM
i did some research work into voice recog while i was at Uni and Naturally Speaking was one of the best on the market if i remember correctly, along with IBMs.