PDA

View Full Version : Disgrace...

Burple
17th May 2005, 10:49 PM
Hey guys...
Especially you Big C.. get yer rant hat on for this week's 'pandering to the shallow end of the gene pool' article..:disapprove:

Isn't This (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/05/15/nspell15.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/05/15/ixhome.html) the most pathetic yet rage inspiring thing you've ever read?:mad::mad::disapprove::disapprove::disapprove :
Why don't we just dumb everything down to good old caveman grunts? Then even people who've actually paid money (ha ha ha ha ha!) for the 'Crazy Frog' will understand EVERYTHING! ;)

Makes me sick... almost as bad as people who use 'text speak' as a lazy and uneducated form of communication...
Or those who who have no concept of Apostrophes, and sell things like potatoe's and sweet's in shops...
What a sad state of affairs etc etc etc..
I'm off for a lie down... :D
Discuss....

Scottie
17th May 2005, 10:53 PM
hey leave the Frog out of it man;):p:D

Julz
17th May 2005, 10:58 PM
With any luck this won't apply to the scottish exams! In my line of work, if ya cannae right a propur letr u've nae chanse cuz we right legul stuff a the time witch can rezult in ya getting punted!:clown:

Next it won't matter if you can't read, as long as you can listen you're ok!!:evil:

Scottie
17th May 2005, 11:11 PM
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought
slpeling was ipmorantt.:D:p

Gismo
17th May 2005, 11:36 PM
Scottiecoop, that's amazing and perfectly understandable :p

The Dogfather
18th May 2005, 01:50 AM
I've a really bad day at work so given my track record I won't comment! :D

Other than!

Great post Fi!

Bazthemod
18th May 2005, 07:07 AM
Ohh for god sake i hear enough of this rubbish at school!!!!:sleepy::)
Shall we all start quoting Shakespeare when we talk then? Its evolution if people want to use text talk in the appropriate place ... fine aslong as its understandable!! We are moving on from shakespeare and about bloody time!!:I:cool:

Thats all folks!:p

Smurf
18th May 2005, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately, being able to spell is part and parcel of the real world.

From a professional point of view, if I get letters from customers or suppliers, in which the grammar or spelling is not correct, I'm afraid it makes them look a little less appealing than the contacts I have who can actually write a coherent letter.

I know that's probably wrong, and I'm going to get seriously lambasted for it, but I think spelling and grammar is important.

Most of the rest of what is learned at School and University really doesn't mean much once you're out in the working world, but being able to communicate effectively ALWAYS works.

<sits back and waits for all the slaps.....>
:I

Julz
18th May 2005, 04:13 PM
Smurf, I totally agree! If we receive letters/faxes/emails that are poorly written, it reflects badly on their firm. As some of our written communication is used as formal instructions, we have to be able to communicate clearly!:clown:

Big Col
18th May 2005, 04:16 PM
I totally agree with you Smurf.

I'd also like to add that that's ridiculous that they don't deduct marks in English for incorrect spelling! What's next? 2+2 doesn't have to equal 4 because kids nowadays are too dumb to count because of the dramatic reduction in teaching standards? They're changing the test parameters because kids are getting dumber as a result of the system but the powers that be want the pass rates to look good so they're willing to sacrifice the kid's education to achieve this. It's even more worrying that most of the kids like Baz all share his opinion! "I don't need to spell! Who wants to talk like Shakespeare anyway?" Like understanding grammar and being able to spell means that you're writing in iambic pentameter or something! It's your education!!! It's not the older generation that's going to be affected! How can you be content looking like utter morons???

Gismo
18th May 2005, 04:29 PM
Should anyone be inspired enough to send out a simple CV when looking for a job 8) i would always discard the ones that didn't even approach some kind of coherent grammar and correct spelling
Experience has taught me that the failure to be able to put down in writing (or type) the basic fundamentals of these basics, that in most cases they are not suitable for the job
I'm in the old school brigade when it comes to this kind of thing, i simply don't agree it's an evolution thing
Just my opinion ;)

Big Col
18th May 2005, 04:40 PM
"Experience has taught me that the failure to be able to put down in writing (or type) the basic fundamentals of these basics, that in most cases they are not suitable for the job"

I hope that this sentence is meant to be ironic ickle fella. :)

Gismo
18th May 2005, 05:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I hope that this sentence is meant to be ironic ickle fella. :)
;)

Scottie
18th May 2005, 05:45 PM
well I agree with what you all say but lets not confuse things.

Not being able to spell or to use grammer or indeed to read or write
dose not mean you won't get on in the world look at the list of people
have.

first president of the United States, George Washington
Agatha Christie
Hans Christian Anderson
Albert Einstein
Woodrow Wilson
Winston Churchill
Walt Disney
Thomas Edison
Nelson Rockefeller

So for people like myself who have dyslexia and managed to get a job and improve themself and get to the top in their profession do not despaire it is possible in this life to get on.

ps that's why most of my posts are edited by myself I am always trying make sure that I check everything looks ok as far as I can tell not wanting to make a fool of myself.

Sheilz
18th May 2005, 05:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought
slpeling was ipmorantt.:D:p

guess only someone who can spell reasonably well could write and understand something like this! :D:D

Scottie
18th May 2005, 05:55 PM
not if you copy and paste it:)

Burple
18th May 2005, 06:04 PM
Smurf, Julz, Big C..... Precisely!

Sorry Baz, but that sort of crap just won't cut it in the real world! It's lazy, unproffesional and shows a distinct lack of respect for those that you're communicating with. After seeing some of the emails and reports from Students here, I really do wonder how they managed to get into Uiversity! :disapprove:
It might seem 'cool' to write or tyoe in that way, but there are still plenty of companies etc, which require job applicants to complete written tests as part of the recruitment process. Personally, I'd *LOVE* to be on the panel marking some of those... but then again, I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi. Or look at it from the employers point of view.. If you're too lazy to be able to communicate properly, what else are you too lazy to do? Yeah.... No job for you!

I can imagine..
"Ring ring.. hello"
"yes, hello. Why didn't I get that job?"
Ah... right... You're too stupid I'm afraid!"...<Click>... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
;):cool::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Burple
18th May 2005, 06:20 PM

well I agree with what you all say but lets not confuse things.
Not being able to spell or to use grammer or indeed to read or write
dose not mean you won't get on in the world look at the list of people
have.
first president of the United States, George Washington
Agatha Christie
Hans Christian Anderson
Albert Einstein
Woodrow Wilson
Winston Churchill
Walt Disney
Thomas Edison
Nelson Rockefeller
So for people like myself who have dyslexia and managed to get a job and improve themself and get to the top in their profession do not despaire it is possible in this life to get on.
ps that's why most of my posts are edited by myself I am always trying make sure that I check everything looks ok as far as I can tell not wanting to make a fool of myself.

I totally agree, It's not the end of the world not to be able to do any of the above. The ability is not in question, the amount of EFFORT pout in IS. There are plenty of people who have been very successful without the ability to read or write etc, but for the average person (environment and factors like dyslexia aside) it's pretty damn lazy. With the high standard of education in this country (or so we're told by the Government) seing signs outside shops like "Potatoe's - 50p" is really an embarrasment.

Here at the University (as mith many now), Dylexia is a recognised condition (the word 'disability' is MUCH too harsh), and we are being proactive in our approach to helping students succeed. Please don't think for a minute that anything I've said is aimed in the general direction of yourself or anyone else affected by dyslexia. That's WORLDS apart from being a lazy git who desn't CARE where apostrophes should live! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Smurf
18th May 2005, 08:14 PM
I totally agree with LnL.

Scottie - I was in NO WAY getting at you, or anyone else with Dyslexia, or any kind of "learning disability". (I disagree with that term too - it's not a disability!!)

Two people very close to me have Dyslexia, and I support them in everything they do, they make a HUGE effort, and have reached high up the ranks of their profession. I have the highest regard and respect for them, and all who are like them.

Like LnL said, it's not the ability to spell or compose coherent sentences we're discussing. It's the laziness of some people, who just will not put in the effort to spell or learn grammar.

Big Col
18th May 2005, 08:17 PM
You know we weren't having a pop at Dyslexics Fi. :)

Bazthemod
18th May 2005, 08:27 PM
I agree with your comments Ewan but i still thank that text talk etc is acceptable in private emails between friends, obviously i would never write in slang or text talk in an exam or CV. For formal letters etc a high level of grammer and spelling should be expected but fot chattin on msn and private e-mails wuts the problem?

Also that english exam i sat last year, it's called close reading and you are marked upon the understanding and knowledge of grammer used in an extract so you are proving you know the grammer even if you cant spell!!! Spelling and grammer are marked under the other half of the test which is two critical essays, where points are deducted for spelling and grammer.

I see again all us young people are painted with the same brush and called dumb... that really hacks me off because we are not all little stupid neds, some of us do want to learn and get out into the big wide world!!!!!

Rant over - Must be the stress of these exams
c ya l8r!! :):D:p

Smurf
18th May 2005, 08:43 PM
I don't think anyone was tarring all "young people" with the same brush. (When did I get old??:I)

The rant was just about those who don't put in the effort.....
I don't think all young people are neds, and I'm sorry you got that opinion. :I

To be honest, I thought from your previous post, that you didn't put in the effort, but now you've set me straight. You obviously work hard.

Good on you for wanting to get on in the world! :D
Best of luck in all your exams, and I hope you get what you want out of life. :cool:

Big Col
18th May 2005, 08:46 PM
I was tarring all young people with the same brush. They're all stupid the lot of them. :D;)

Bazthemod
18th May 2005, 09:01 PM
Look who they learn from ^^^^ case dismissed !! :D

Scottie
18th May 2005, 09:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

I totally agree with LnL.

Scottie - I was in NO WAY getting at you, or anyone else with Dyslexia, or any kind of "learning disability". (I disagree with that term too - it's not a disability!!)

Two people very close to me have Dyslexia, and I support them in everything they do, they make a HUGE effort, and have reached high up the ranks of their profession. I have the highest regard and respect for them, and all who are like them.

Like LnL said, it's not the ability to spell or compose coherent sentences we're discussing. It's the laziness of some people, who just will not put in the effort to spell or learn grammar.

didn't think the two of you were:D:) it's just I don't want people to assume I'm dumb just because I find certain things more difficult than others and when using a forum like this people are not aware of the struggle it can be quite often I have to go the long way round saying something cause I can't phrase the short way that's in my head if you know what I mean I can't get it down on paper kinda thing.:I

Burple
18th May 2005, 10:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bazthemod

....For formal letters etc a high level of *grammer * (Ahem!!! ;)) and spelling should be expected but fot chattin on msn and private e-mails wuts Jeez.. I give up! ;);) the problem?

I see again all us young people are painted with the same brush and called dumb... that really hacks me off because we are not all little stupid neds, some of us do want to learn and get out into the big wide world!!!!!

Hey.. I never said *ALL* young people are stoopid... there's lots of older ones too! :D:D

Hey.. and on a semi related topic... do we get points for running over the Neds in Balumbie the same as we do in the Ferry?? ;););):D:D:D:D

Good luck with the exams... :D:D:D

Burple
18th May 2005, 10:09 PM
quote:
didn't think the two of you were:D:) it's just I don't want people to assume I'm dumb just because I find certain things more difficult than others and when using a forum like this people are not aware of the struggle it can be quite often I have to go the long way round saying something cause I can't phrase the short way that's in my head if you know what I mean I can't get it down on paper kinda thing.:I

Heh... I'm sure we're all the same. Wouldn't be the first time for me either! And it certainly won't be the last! :D:D:D

Hey.. if you're being dumb we'll just come straight out and tell ya! :p:p:p:D:D:D;);):cool:

Bazthemod
18th May 2005, 10:28 PM
Ths forum aint tht forml its js gd mannrs tht i use nrml borin langauge:cool:

Anyway who do u thnk u r the Polis?????:evil:

As for the neds in Balumbie ill pay you to run them over they are a pain in the ass shouting outside when im trying to revise!! :mad::(:disapprove:

Mini Me
19th May 2005, 04:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smurf

Unfortunately, being able to spell is part and parcel of the real world.

Thats me screwed then :dead:;):p
I knew i should have went to that school thingy,but i had better things to do,stay in bed, i always wanted to be a lolipop man,cos i wouldn't need to start till i was 75 ;):I

Smurf
19th May 2005, 03:17 PM
You don't need to worry, minime, you have enough of us buying cars to pay your bills!!
:D :p

Big Col
19th May 2005, 03:42 PM
I don't want people to assume I'm dumb just because I find certain things more difficult than others

We don't assume you're dumb because of that Fi. We assume you're dumb because of your Crazy Frog fetish! ;):clown:

Scottie
19th May 2005, 04:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

I don't want people to assume I'm dumb just because I find certain things more difficult than others

We don't assume you're dumb because of that Fi. We assume you're dumb because of your Crazy Frog fetish! ;):clown:

:D