PDA

View Full Version : In Car PC/Mac

The Dogfather
13th May 2005, 05:53 PM
Moved to new thread as not to HiJack BS's thread.

quote:Originally posted by GAJ

quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

The idea is to create a Car PC for the Omega (and MINI at a later date)

I'm thinking of installing a docking station for my laptop with a Touchscreen on the dash, the Lilliput 8" touchscreen only costs £160. There will also be 2 cameras front/back, USB GPS with PDA software, Bluetooth Phone Connection, USB TV/Radio Card (I still need to look into the aerial) and wireless illuminated keyboard all connected through a USB Hub. There's also special interface software available.

The Laptop will be mounted in the boot but will be removed when the car isn't in use.

Check out http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/touchscreen/index.php?product=23

I saw a similair thing that had been done based around a Mac Mini, even cooler!:p;)

The Mac MINI would be a good choice as it's so compact, not sure about the power supply though!

quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Check out Google, loads of places selling power adapters and all sorts of stuff for Mac Mini car installs. Forget using your iPod on screen, how about direct access to iTunes!

The Dogfather
13th May 2005, 05:55 PM
GAJ - A MAC mini would be an ideal install as it would fit into the glovebox but cost dictates that I use my current Laptop, maybe I can save up for a Mac later

Wul
13th May 2005, 06:19 PM

GAJ - A MAC mini would be an ideal install as it would fit into the glovebox but cost dictates that I use my current Laptop, maybe I can save up for a Mac later

I got a booklet of vouchers through the door with buy one get one free if you want it?

or is that the wrong kinda "Mac"?? :p:evil:

Big Col
13th May 2005, 08:18 PM
Just one question.

Why would you want the PC in the car?

<awaits the predictable "Why not?" patiently>

The Dogfather
14th May 2005, 02:58 AM
With a PC I can have the following:-

* Sat Nav with updates via web
* Internet
* Reversing Camera
* Forward Camera for recording journeys
* Email (via Mobile Phone/Wifi Access points)
* TV/DVD
* DAB Radio

All for the half the cost of a in dash sat nav unit.

Plus it I want to add anything later I just plug it into a USB socket.