PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Glass

Gismo
13th May 2005, 04:39 AM
Anyone tick the privacy glass option and then not tint the front side windows :)

MartinSullivan
13th May 2005, 05:19 AM
I thought BMW wouldnt tint the front side glass anymore? Thought that was why tinthaus were getting so many cars up to get the front ones done to match the rears.

Gismo
13th May 2005, 05:40 AM
Exactly, that's why i'm asking if anyone has not tinted the front windaes :p i want to know what it looks like as my new cooper has the privacy glass option

AndyP & Lenore
13th May 2005, 06:09 AM
We got the privacy glass and have not got the front windows tinted.

Gismo
13th May 2005, 06:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

So, are you happy with the way it looks etc, or are you thinking about getting the front ones done too :question::)

Big Gordy
13th May 2005, 06:28 AM
I think it makes them look a bit 'van-ish' but that's just me;) :p:approve:

sleepyrascal
13th May 2005, 07:01 AM
The factory tint is way cooler than film tint. you can always tint the front to the legal limit to take away some of the vanny look.

ny152
13th May 2005, 09:57 AM
Alan, I've got the privacy option on the rears and did not bother getting the front ones tinted.
Very happy with the way it looks and if I was doing it again, would have it the same way.

Some pictures are on www.fotki.com/nysavant in the MINI album.

Neil and Lorna
13th May 2005, 02:55 PM
Hi Alan

Ive got the privacy glass and the front ones done but not to the same %.

There is still a grey area as to the legality.:mad:

Lothian and Borders police are having an amnesty on the 6th June at our local Tesco im considering taking mine along.

BTW the car looks fab with them done.:D

I will post a picture if you like but it wont be on untill Saturday night were off to Belfast today to see Queen.:cool:

Neil

Craig
13th May 2005, 03:32 PM
I have the factory tint on the back and I will be doing the same again with my next cooper. We have this discussion quite often in relation to tinting the front windows. If you tint the front windows at all, they are illegal:disapprove: - minime will back me up on this. The MINI front windows are already tinted to the legal limit when they come out of the factory. Yes, the police probably won't bother you unless it is pimping black, but if they do, it's a Vrec and a fine.... it's your gamble;)

Gismo
13th May 2005, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone, think i'll wait until i actually see the car in the flesh before making my mind up :cool:

3GGG
13th May 2005, 04:29 PM
I thought you were talking about a glass partition between the front and rear at first! - Will you be taking celebrities in the back - that might increase your insurance premium quite a bit.

GAJ
13th May 2005, 04:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

If you tint the front windows at all, they are illegal:disapprove: - minime will back me up on this. The MINI front windows are already tinted to the legal limit when they come out of the factory. Yes, the police probably won't bother you unless it is pimping black, but if they do, it's a Vrec and a fine.... it's your gamble;)

I was under the impression that the factory tint on the front windows is only 8%, i.e. 92% visibility and the legal limit is 25%, i.e. 75% visibility. I thought that people were ending up with front windows that did not comply with the new legislation by adding 25% tinted film to windows that already had an 8% tint, not that the mini front windows were already at the limit.

Unless I'm mistaken, the MINI rear privacy glass option is a 35% tint so even if you add a 17% tint to take the fronts up to what I believe to be the legal limit they still won't match the rears. (Not sure that it's as simple as an 8% tint and a 17% tint together adding up to a 25% tint either, the physics of light transmission has never been my strong point, but i'm sure you know what I mean!)

Sheilz
14th May 2005, 04:39 AM
I got my front windows done 'light' which I think looks much better than it did with only factory tints. This is I think the max I would feel comfortable with, esp for night driving. I think any darker would have caused problems with visibility.

AndyP & Lenore
14th May 2005, 04:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

So, are you happy with the way it looks etc, or are you thinking about getting the front ones done too :question::)

More than happy, BS. The front windies have a bit of a tint in them anyway, so a darker tint is a matter of personal preference. Both ways look just as good.

See large pics of our mini at: http://www.reachercreatures.com/miniBB.htm

Julz
14th May 2005, 05:55 AM
I think I would have to agree with gordy that when I see minis with just the back ones done, they do look a bit 'van-ish' (sorry to anyone who takes offense:sleepy:). I'm sure minime will get you a good deal on the front ones if you want, he knows a very nice man at pentagon in stirling who I will be visiting when I collect the evo!:D:D

Mini Me
14th May 2005, 06:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I think I would have to agree with gordy that when I see minis with just the back ones done, they do look a bit 'van-ish' (sorry to anyone who takes offense:sleepy:). I'm sure minime will get you a good deal on the front ones if you want, he knows a very nice man at pentagon in stirling who I will be visiting when I collect the evo!:D:D

Could i please point out for legal reasons, it's for showroom purposes only :evil:;););)

Gismo
14th May 2005, 05:20 PM
Hmm, i was afraid of the van type look :( What will it cost to get the two front windows done to a legal 8) tint

Jeff
14th May 2005, 07:48 PM
Alan, I have got the privacy tint and I like my van look!!!

AndyP & Lenore
14th May 2005, 11:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jeff

Alan, I have got the privacy tint and I like my van look!!!

Us too!:D:D But we still maintain it does not look like a van!:(

MartinSullivan
15th May 2005, 03:17 AM
Bonnie, I think Sheilz and Nenah got theres done at Tinthaus for about 83 quid including vat. Some people have been charged more though so it pays to negotiate (or get Nenah to flutter her eye lashes)

Julz
15th May 2005, 03:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime
Could i please point out for legal reasons, it's for showroom purposes only :evil:;););)

;)Of course, it's removable film so when you're on the public highway, you can peel it off, then when you fancy a bit of posing on private ground, you just stick it back on using blu-tac!!;):D

Sheilz
15th May 2005, 06:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

quote:Originally posted by minime

;)Of course, it's removable film so when you're on the public highway, you can peel it off, then when you fancy a bit of posing on private ground, you just stick it back on using blu-tac!!;):D

'n it disnae clash with leccy blue ;):D:D:D

Sheilz
15th May 2005, 06:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Bonnie, I think Sheilz and Nenah got theres done at Tinthaus for about 83 quid including vat. Some people have been charged more though so it pays to negotiate (or get Nenah to flutter her eye lashes)

Spot on Martin. Doesn't take very long either, about an hour if I mind right. :D:D:D

MartinSullivan
15th May 2005, 07:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sheilz
Spot on Martin. Doesn't take very long either, about an hour if I mind right. :D:D:D

Aye, wont take em long - its about an hour from when you find the place as Sheilz says :D

euan
16th May 2005, 01:33 AM
I thought about getting this done to mine but having driven my old mans pimping SAAB which has been tinted (it's jet black and has 17" alloys. And 250bhp) I'd be a bit iffy about it as the visability thing is a definite problem, particulary in winter.

I like the look with the backs done and not the fronts, but I understand why you would want to do the front too. Personal taste, as always.

broken_brian
18th May 2005, 03:38 AM
there is no such thing as a legal tint. the new law states that the window should have a V L T of no less that 75%.The loophole was that you could get round that by getting tinted film stuck to the windows, but they changed it so that even with film added to the windows you must still have a V L T of 75%. Which they check with a little light meter on 3 points on your window to get an average reading and depending what V L T you get depends on how much trouble you're in the darker it is the bigger the fine and they might also tell you to take the front tints out:mad:. And if they don't have the light meter it's down to plods discretion :mad:

Sheilz
18th May 2005, 07:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

quote:Originally posted by Sheilz

Aye, wont take em long - its about an hour from when you find the place as Sheilz says :D

I'm slow!:I:I:I:D:D:D