PDA

View Full Version : Gremlins !

Crombers
9th May 2005, 09:02 PM
Just back from a 1158 mile trip to England visiting family (now got 10400 on the clock).

Have started to notice that the steering feels a bit lumpy at slow speeds. Is this steering column related :( or has anyone else noticed this.

Also on the M1 yesterday in a queue (15 minutes or so) I noticed the temp gauge shooting way up to the red (light flashing) , "SH!T" I thought to myself !! Checked coolant level & everything fine but did not notice if fan had cut in. Sat on the hard shoulder for 5 minutes or so then tried again , this time moving along slowly. Gauge then began to fall down to normal & at next services checked again this time sitting with engine on for 10 mins or so stationary & everything was fine!!
Any clues peeps or should I get this checked out (just back from 1st service though).

Cheers,

Julz
9th May 2005, 09:12 PM
Ah, firstly, get your fan checked, mine wasn't working and seeing as I have no temperature gauge, I didn't know until the thing overheated! (had advance warning of about 10 seconds when the wee red light came on!) Then, the steering column, might be worth a check too as that seems to be a common fault on earlier models, mine was replaced after it was in for an oil service and the bods noticed it made this weird clicking noise, which I never noticed as the stereo is usually up loud enough to hide all the squeaks and rattles!!:p:D

Wul
9th May 2005, 09:31 PM
Crombers - defo sounds like your cooling fan has tripped/bust as recently when sat in traffic mines has kicked in and the temp gauge stays firmly in the middle! - A wee tip though is if it happens again before you get it fixed - turn the heating up (A/C off) and on full - the cool air passing through the heater matrix helps regulate the temp - downside is you'll melt inside the cabin :p

S7JGW
10th May 2005, 06:14 PM
My freind used to have a punto that used to over heat and he ran about with the heaters and fans on full. Workede but it was hot! windows down and heater full on lol

Crombers
10th May 2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks folks,
Phoned Henry Bros & MINI Servicing advised me to phone MINI Emegency as he agreed that this aint normal (very pleasant & courteous chap he was too). MINI Emergency will be out at the office this afternoon & will look into the steering as well. Any major problems & they will fix me up with another car (nice one MINI/BMW) :)

Crombers
11th May 2005, 01:15 AM
All fixed folks. BMW Technician found loose connection to fan :)
Checked steering but nothing found. If still not happy I can book in for a check up.
10/10 for customer service , must say.