PDA

View Full Version : MOT and Warranty

sleepyrascal
9th May 2005, 08:18 PM
My Warranty runs out in 8 days...

it will cost £502 to extend it which I have decided is not worth the money.

BUt, should I get my MOT done NOW before the warranty runs out. Ive heard that you have about 3 months after the warranty expires during which you can still claim parts under warranty... some law involving reasonable life expectancy or something.

3GGG
9th May 2005, 08:39 PM
How long would the extended warranty cover you for?

The Dogfather
9th May 2005, 08:45 PM
Sleepy - You can get warranties from RAC and AA, I'm planning to get one for the Omega when the dealers runs out.

KenL
9th May 2005, 10:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

My Warranty runs out in 8 days...

it will cost £502 to extend it which I have decided is not worth the money.

BUt, should I get my MOT done NOW before the warranty runs out. Ive heard that you have about 3 months after the warranty expires during which you can still claim parts under warranty... some law involving reasonable life expectancy or something.

Get the MOT done now.

I've never heard of the 3 month rule, certainly wouldn't rely on it.

ny152
10th May 2005, 03:04 AM
What about trying http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk for a warranty? They were mentioned on the honestjohn website a couple of weeks ago.

sleepyrascal
10th May 2005, 04:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

one year..

Im getting the mot done on Wednesday.. had no choice after coming across a rather embarrasing oversight on my part :I

3GGG
10th May 2005, 04:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

one year..

Phew!! :eek: - Mind you that's only the cost of one ECU :dead:

duncan
10th May 2005, 04:16 AM
£502? Have they put the price up?

I was quoted £400 for my One last December, half the reason i went for a new MINI.

3GGG
10th May 2005, 04:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

£502? Have they put the price up?

I was quoted £400 for my One last December, half the reason i went for a new MINI.

Well its about that anyway - I was only going by Julz's experience inan other thread, anyway IMHO even £400 is ridiculous for a mass produced electronic box.

duncan
10th May 2005, 04:21 AM
I meant the warranty!!!

3GGG
10th May 2005, 04:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

I meant the warranty!!!

:D That as well - another 3 years for £500 maybe.... but not 1 year, they are having a laugh :mad:

I Want A Works
10th May 2005, 04:24 AM
I believe that the three month rule (quote from the reverse of an MOT ticket):
"If within 28 days of the test, (3 months for rust- or corrosion-related problems) you consider the condition of the vehicle did not justify the issue of the certificate, you can contact any Vehicle & operator Services Agency office and ask for how to appeal"

I used this one on a garage when I bought a car off of them and 6 weeks later spotted a rather large hole (3" x 1.5") rusted in a cross member. They should have sold a car that could pass an MOT so got it fixed for free!

There is apart of the 'SUPPLY OF GOODS AND SERVICES ACT 1982' about any goods supplied in the course of the service must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose. If they are not the consumer is entitled to a repair, replacement or compensation. BUT this prob only applies to new goods :(

For info about SUPPLY OF SERVICES ACT click here (http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/supplyofservices.htm)
For info about SALE OF GOODS ACT click here (http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm)

And what was your oversight sleepy, or is it something to do with something that should have been done before the first of March (if you get my drift ;)

3GGG
10th May 2005, 04:24 AM
And I bet there are plenty things that are not covered, like brakes, exhausts - the things the are likely to need replaced in year 4.