PDA

View Full Version : Slow Speed Tyre/wheel noise

The Bull
9th May 2005, 06:31 AM
Over the last couple of months I've developed a kind of rubbing noise when turning at slow speeds. I asked JC Dundee about it and got them to check it last time I was in and they said it was the tyres that were causing it. Their recommendation was to have my front tyres deflated, rotated 90 degrees on the rims and inflated again.

I went to my local tyre supplier to get them to carry out the said remedy and their answer was... "Never heard of that!"

Anyone encountered this problem? Why does it happen and why would rotating the tyre help? I'm baffled.

sleepyrascal
9th May 2005, 08:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by picklehammer

Over the last couple of months I've developed a kind of rubbing noise when turning at slow speeds. I asked JC Dundee about it and got them to check it last time I was in and they said it was the tyres that were causing it. Their recommendation was to have my front tyres deflated, rotated 90 degrees on the rims and inflated again.

I went to my local tyre supplier to get them to carry out the said remedy and their answer was... "Never heard of that!"

Anyone encountered this problem? Why does it happen and why would rotating the tyre help? I'm baffled.

And why didi JC not rotate the tyre for you?

The Bull
9th May 2005, 08:50 AM
They said they don't touch tyres. It has to be done by a tyre fitting firm. e.g. Kwikfit

BTW it is a lease car, don't know if that's why it has to go to Kwik Fit.

Moonshine
9th May 2005, 04:31 PM
how do you rotate a tyre 90 degrees? - if this is the solution, then they must be fitted sideways and I guess that will be causing the rubbing:)

I bet the noise is incredible, fuel consumtion outrageous and steeing non-exixtant!!! :)

Gerry

Moonshine
9th May 2005, 05:09 PM
ps.. i know what they mean, but how is moving the tyre around the rim going to help - it still goes round and round???

The Bull
9th May 2005, 07:53 PM
My point exactly. How can that work?

Break the seal, rotate the tyre and inflate. That's what I was told. Help.

sleepyrascal
9th May 2005, 08:14 PM
JC dont deal with tyres, but their contractor does. In Aberdeen, you leave the car with JC and either they tae it to get sorted or the tyre people come to them. I've never heard of someone being told to take their car elsewhere, and even if they did, they shouldnt tell you what to say, they should deal with the tyre company over the phone.

Duncan Stewart
9th May 2005, 09:38 PM
Front or back? Sticking rear brake calipers is a common fault on Minis which might cause a slight increased rubbing noise on corners as the wheel / disc assembly flexes.

KenL
9th May 2005, 10:11 PM
Might be easier initially just to swap the front set with the back, easy if you have a spare.

Not sure I believe that this will cure it though.

Big Gordy
9th May 2005, 10:24 PM
Sometimes the rubber boots covering the drive shafts joint 'dry out'. Try applying a smear of grease on the boots to aid lurication. Honestly think this would only help when on or near to full lock IMHO tho. Worth a try if the wheel swapping trick doesn't work8) Just my tuppence worth:I :p:D:approve:

S7JGW
10th May 2005, 12:00 AM
I hads that on my last set of tyres, its supposed to be the the layers bonded together on the runflat tyre wall breaking and the layers are moving causeing a creak, I inflated my tyre more and the noise went away.
Jim

The Bull
10th May 2005, 12:03 AM
You could have hit the nail on the head there Gordy. I forgot to say that it seems more apparent when turning at close to full lock.

This has nothing to do with the tyres though so I'm a bit miffed if this is the problem.

It's due a service in 700 (2 or 3 weeks for me) so I'll get them to look at it again then. Thanks.

The Bull
10th May 2005, 12:07 AM
I think what you described must have been what JCs were pointing at S7JGW as they emphasised having the tyre pressures very precise with the runflats. The pressures are fine so I can only assume Gordys diagnosis could be on the money. Thanks very much.

I Want A Works
10th May 2005, 01:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by picklehammer

mmm I smell male bovine excretions! Never heard of that one before, but I'll ask my brothers dad-in-law. he owns a garage and fits tyres all the time