PDA

View Full Version : JCW Air Filter / minime

AndyP & Lenore
6th May 2005, 07:38 AM
Anyone know where I can buy one and get it fitted for a reasonable price, as my local dealer wants to charge me £375 and they say that is the discounted price.:(

I have seen in the past on MINI2 people saying their dealer offering it at £250inc VAT fitted (not sure if that is right).

Any help would be appreciated.:)

Minime - Any luck on getting me a price:question:

Mini Me
7th May 2005, 08:27 AM
the only thing i saw on the web site and in the brochure was the air filter.But what you were describing was in conjunction with a control unit.So i'm not sure if it's the same thing.
Mini don't do an induction kit for the S, but the filter is available,i will price it for you tomorrow...................:p

AndyP & Lenore
7th May 2005, 09:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime

the only thing i saw on the web site and in the brochure was the air filter.But what you were describing was in conjunction with a control unit.So i'm not sure if it's the same thing.
:p

Ian,

The John Cooper Air filter is described on their web site as:

"AIR FILTER. The unforgettably throaty sound of the engine will register instantly in your ears. There is a second air intake controlled by means of an electronically actuated flap, which opens during acceleration at 4 500 rpm. The result is a significantly improved performance curve and an even more distinctive sound."

This is what we are after.:D

To see it, go to the John Cooper web site, under "Shop Online" click "John Cooper Works". When the microsite opens, click the "MINI Cooper S Tuning Kit" link. When the red MINI arrives click the "AIR FILTER" link, above the bonnet. A pic and the above description appears in the right.

AndyP

Mini Me
7th May 2005, 05:22 PM
Ahh, the air filter housing kit (extra 5bhp,sound good and gargly)
Kit through NMS will cost £261.25 + vat ,and the labour is £37.50 + vat !!!!!!
<doesn't look that hard to fit,if you know what i mean>:p

AndyP & Lenore
7th May 2005, 06:36 PM
<doesn't look that hard to fit,if you know what i mean>:p

Doesn't the ECU need told it's there? Which would need done by a dealer presumably?

AndyP

Gismo
7th May 2005, 06:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP
Doesn't the ECU need told it's there? Which would need done by a dealer presumably?
AndyP
The ECU adapts to the drivers style and technique, it will work out any differences in air flow ;)
But, changing the pulley etc then a remap will be required

macblob
7th May 2005, 08:12 PM
JCW Air filter kit seems pretty expensive compared to after markets induction kits avaliable

AndyP & Lenore
7th May 2005, 08:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

JCW Air filter kit seems pretty expensive compared to after markets induction kits avaliable

Yeah, but it doesn't affect your warranty.

ANdyP

MartinSullivan
7th May 2005, 11:51 PM
The "flap" is supposed to be ECU controlled to open above 4500 RPM but there are lots of threads on Mini2 and northamericanmotoring saying that it seems to work even if the car hasnt been programmed to open it.

aimee_s
9th May 2005, 01:56 AM
im confused....( im always confused...but still...) i thought you couldnt buy this seperately? can it be bought for a cooper??

AndyP & Lenore
9th May 2005, 02:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by aimee_s

im confused....( im always confused...but still...) i thought you couldnt buy this seperately? can it be bought for a cooper??

I think (but then I could be wrong) that it is only available for Cooper S, but maybe I should let minime answer this question for you.:)

Big Col
9th May 2005, 03:59 PM
I notice a performaxce diff at 4500rpm. Maybe it's this flap that's doing it. :question:

Mini Me
10th May 2005, 04:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by aimee_s

Not till the summer Aimee, your thinking off the sound kit(inc filter):disapprove::disapprove::dead:

Scottie
10th May 2005, 05:48 AM
what about the DINAN cold air intake you could also remove when taking the motor for a service the dealer would nevefr know

http://www.playmini2.co.uk/playmini%20main.htm

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2005, 01:46 AM
Just had the JCW Air Filter fitted, WOW:D:D:D.

Makes the car much smoother and a much improved throaty growl.:D

Next stop Dastek tomorrow for another 30 horses.:D:D:D

Mini Me
12th May 2005, 05:18 AM
it was nice to meet you both today,glad you like :p
and i don't mean the buffet at pizza hut :p

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2005, 06:01 AM

it was nice to meet you both today,glad you like :p
and i don't mean the buffet at pizza hut :p

Nice to meet you too.:D We have posted a message in General Discussion to thank you, but you may not have seen it so thanks.:D:D:D Hope to see you again soon.