PDA

View Full Version : DASTEK DYNO DAY FOC!

Gerry Gaffney
6th May 2005, 04:31 AM
Hi fellow Mini owners,

How do you fancy a rolling road day FOC @ Dastek (http://www.dastek.co.uk) if you have a current Mini?

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Gerry

PS. I've read the negatives on rolling roads, but I'll copy & paste my reply from another topic that hopefully explains why it is no more arduous than running on the road.

'Hi Guys,

I've seen a few comments on here now about dyno's & temperatures etc. Whilst some of it may be true for dyno operators that have not invested in the proper cooling for their dyno set up, I can assure that is not the case here at Dastek. We have done tests on many different cars with front mount or top mount intercoolers & the charge temperatures on the dyno will never be any more than about 2 degrees C different to what you would see on the road, coolant temp will remain the same as usually we overcool, but the thermostat regulates it & oil temp will typically be 5 - 10 degrees C lower.

I have included a couple of links to pictures to show you our fans, the first photo is the fan being tested in the workshop (as we sell these to dyno operators, the anemometer is in Km/h) & the second is the sub fan for direct cooling of intercoolers etc.in this picture it is the small fan to the side of of ducting that is used for intercoolers. Both give a 100MPH wind speed at very high static pressure.

http://tinypic.com/4rt3xv

http://www.dastek.co.uk/images/ultima.jpg

KINGHORN
7th May 2005, 03:46 AM
IM DEFO UP FOR IT.

please make it when im onshore.

JohnO
7th May 2005, 07:04 AM
Count me in too :)

I take it the early S/C rotor coating loss on dynos is not an issue at Dastek??

JohnO

AndyP & Lenore
7th May 2005, 07:20 AM
This is a very generous offer Gerry. I am suprised there are not more taking up your offer.

Our car is booked in on Thurs 12th May for Stage 1 conversion.:)

See you then.

KINGHORN
10th May 2005, 05:08 PM
come on folks, i cant understand why no 1 is taking Gerry up on this offer, as he has said there is as little chance of ur car blowing up on the rollers as there is on the road, so come on floks why not say you will come along, watch others before you (me) and then decide whether to do it or not

this would normaly cost you 20-25 quid so grab a freebee and find out exactly what ur mini is doing performance wise, find out if thet MTH chip IS any good, perhaps ur induction kit is doing more bad than good, the boyz at daztek will tell you all this

oh well

bpirie1000
10th May 2005, 08:17 PM
I am affraid i will get shown up as mi little COOPER semas t lack an S badge and a supercharger....

SOME DAY I'LL HAVE AN s AND PROBABLY NO LICENSE.....

NEVER MIND
CHEERS BRIZEE

KINGHORN
11th May 2005, 12:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by bpirie1000

I am affraid i will get shown up as mi little COOPER semas t lack an S badge and a supercharger....

SOME DAY I'LL HAVE AN s AND PROBABLY NO LICENSE.....

NEVER MIND
CHEERS BRIZEE

u dont need an S

The Dogfather
11th May 2005, 02:38 AM
I'd be interested in looking at the performance of the Omega before and after the LPG conversion....... but the offer is for MINIs.

Nenah
11th May 2005, 04:05 AM
Gerry - you have mail!

Cheers
Nenah:D

ACF
11th May 2005, 06:24 AM
I'm up for attending, interested in seeing the results of modifications to other MINI's, ie intakes, exhausts, etc.
I'm thinking of 200 BHP stage 1, but Xmas is a long way off.

Just let me know the proposed day and time.

Alex.

Neil and Lorna
11th May 2005, 06:28 AM
Put me down as a mabee

Depends on date etc...

Neil.

ELFMAN
11th May 2005, 11:51 PM
Might be up for this, but it really depends on Date/commitments etc. Generous offer though.

If the operators know what they're doing (and I'm sure Dastek do), you should have nothing to worry about (apart from your pride if you 250bhp conversion is only putting out 200!). I put the S on the 'Ecosse' rolling road with the MiniClan a month or so ago, and had absolutely no ill effects. Special Offer Cost £20.00. The motor made 171.5bhp @ 6,590rpm (standard for the '03 S is 163@ 6K or something), so the manifold/system is working OK. Really smooth power curve too. I was quite happy with that, and it feels (and sounds) fine on the street.

You sometimes get such a variance with different cars on different rolling roads it can all get a bit subjective. Even in standard form - depending for example on mileage, a newer 'tight' engine isn't going to make the same power as a well run-in one - my S had done about 6K when tested. My 2001 COOPER had really loosened off by 9K, before that, it always felt a bit tight. So all those folk who spend loads of money on new cars and upgrades and only keep them for 3-6000 miles never get the benefit of the engine's full potential.

A Rolling Road session's good for comparisons setting up with different bits on your car (but this takes longer and costs more), and interesting to compare with other cars on the same day as a 'snap-shot' of how your motor's running.

By the way, I actually dropped a letter to Dastek a few months back re. Re-mapping to 'optimise' my set-up, but didn't get a reply. So I changed my mind. You win a few..........

Gerry Gaffney
12th May 2005, 12:02 AM
Hi Euan,

Thanks for the post.

I'm a bit concerned about no one replying to your request for info, could you give me further details of this, was it a letter or email, & when roughly was it sent? As I'll be severely p*ssed off if no one replied given how much we spend trying to recruit new business.

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Gerry

ELFMAN
12th May 2005, 10:58 PM
Hi Gerry,
Letter was POSTED 17/2/05. Maybe it got lost in the post? I'll e-mail a pdf copy to your HQ. It had foties an' ev'ryhing! - which I've since removed for ease of storage/memory. Don't know if I want to do anything to the car at the moment, but your ideas would be food for thought. Cheers.

Moonshine
12th May 2005, 11:13 PM
I could be interested - depending on time / date etc to see how the cooper with pipercross filter / HKS zorst and MTH chip performs.

let me know what the plan is.

Gerry

john
14th May 2005, 09:30 PM
Hi Gerry

I sent you an email asking for more info and explaining some issues I've been having with my S - Did you receive mye email as I havent had a reply from you as yet.

Cheers
Nenah:)

POAH
15th May 2005, 04:24 AM
I've been on dasteks RR a couplde of times with my GT and they are very very good. in fact they take very good care of the car. they check everything is ok they moniter A/F ratio unlike other places and they make sure the car engine oil and gear box oil is warm. for a RR power print out you really can't beat what dastek offer. plus your RR print out is laminated. their fans are very very good and you get quite cold if your in the booth. RR appears quite acurate too

AndyP & Lenore
15th May 2005, 04:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by POAH

I've been on dasteks RR a couplde of times with my GT and they are very very good. in fact they take very good care of the car. they check everything is ok they moniter A/F ratio unlike other places and they make sure the car engine oil and gear box oil is warm. for a RR power print out you really can't beat what dastek offer. plus your RR print out is laminated. their fans are very very good and you get quite cold if your in the booth. RR appears quite acurate too

We have to agree, from what we saw yesterday they do look after you and you car. They even put in a car seat cover and drivers floor mat to keep your car clean while they work on it.

POAH
18th May 2005, 05:45 AM
you got a scan of your graph?

AndyP & Lenore
18th May 2005, 07:32 AM

you got a scan of your graph?

Yup!

KINGHORN
18th May 2005, 08:26 PM
come on folks, there must be more folk up for this

Gismo
18th May 2005, 09:10 PM
Speaking purely as an observer 8) if they can guarantee that any damage or any problems occuring during the test will be rectified at their cost i'm sure a lot more people will agree
I'm afraid the stigma of rolling roads will never go away, i would have been tempted if i'd still had the S, don't see the point for my cooper

POAH
19th May 2005, 06:04 AM
friend got 125 on their rollers on a standard cooper.

I don;t see there is any stigma to a RR only bullcrap that people choose to listen too. go out and floor your car from 4th gear from low revs - thats what a RR does

Gismo
19th May 2005, 05:06 PM
I don;t see there is any stigma to a RR only bullcrap that people choose to listen too
In any forum you will always come across doubters and people scared of potential damage to their engines through the use of a rolling road
If there was no stigma then can you explain why there are very few people taking up this excellent free offer
I'd just like to point out that i was merely making a comment and in no way was suggesting that rolling roads are dangerous or otherwise

Good luck to all who participate and i will gladly come along to witness the highs and lows of the expexted BHP output's

When a date is confirmed i'll make this a sticky

POAH
20th May 2005, 07:10 PM
the problem I would have is if they had poor cooling and they did not tie the cars down. they never used to do that

Gerry Gaffney
20th May 2005, 07:41 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been on lately, very busy at work on the run up to my week off :D

I have to admit, this forum is the first forum I have come across where people seem to be concerned about the use of the dyno. However I take those fears on board & I'm happy to put right any problems that arise through testing on the dyno. This is not something I would normally do, because we don't know the condition of the vehicle, or modifications carried out. However as we're limiting it to new Mini's that are well looked after ;) I don't see there being any risks.

Cheers,

Gerry

ELFMAN
20th May 2005, 08:23 PM
It's a lot "safer" than wringing your MINI out on a twisty back road - and how many of us do that? Not me, officer, certainly not, 60MPH, honest.... No tractors, cyclists, horses and eejits coming the other way on a Rolling Road. If your car's in good nick (I've yet to see an NMS MINI which isn't), it should deal with an RR run no problem.

OK, OK, it's not as much fun, but it's FREE!
Gerry, did you get my other e-mail?

Gismo
20th May 2005, 10:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gerry Gaffney
I'm happy to put right any problems that arise through testing on the dyno.
Come on then peeps, you will not get a better offer than this :cool:

Gerry Gaffney
21st May 2005, 12:19 AM
Hi Nenah & Euan,

Have sent 2 lots of replies to your emails, with read requests, don't know if you got them, I'm away in the next hour for a week, so if I don't hear from you, I'll speak to you when I get back.

Cheers,

Gerry

KINGHORN
21st May 2005, 06:08 AM
im defo up for this,please make it when im at home though

ELFMAN
25th May 2005, 05:54 AM
Gerry, no e-mails I'm afraid, must be floating around in cyber-space somewhere!

Nenah
25th May 2005, 11:10 PM

Hi Nenah & Euan,

Have sent 2 lots of replies to your emails, with read requests, don't know if you got them, I'm away in the next hour for a week, so if I don't hear from you, I'll speak to you when I get back.

Cheers,

Gerry

Hi Gerry - no emails recieved from you...? Very strange..give me a buzz when youre back in town.

Thanks
Nenah :)

Neil and Lorna
5th June 2005, 07:01 PM
Hi There

This topic was about to drop down to the next page so I thought I'd revieve it.:)

Do we have a date yet so we can all make arrangements.:cool:

Neil & Lorna.:D

AerokitScot69
6th June 2005, 02:26 AM
Could you give a possible date and where your located, if i'm at home i'll drop in like.

AndyP & Lenore
6th June 2005, 05:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by AerokitScot69

Could you give a possible date and where your located, if i'm at home i'll drop in like.

Dastek are located at Dalgetty Bay.

KINGHORN
12th June 2005, 08:20 PM
is this going ahead or was it all a whind up from the start

ELFMAN
19th June 2005, 11:18 PM
This seems to have died a death...

No e-mails or info received. I'm going to be busy with various things in the next few months - so with no interest/dates etc, count me out.

Seemed like a good idea, but ..RIP.

Gerry Gaffney
21st June 2005, 07:21 PM
Hi Guys,

My fault for not checking the forum, I thought it had died a death, but it appears the notifications got caught in our spam filter, which I failed to check :I

Anyway I'm still up for this, if you are.

Cheers,

Gerry

KINGHORN
24th June 2005, 02:28 AM
i defo am,

Neil and Lorna
24th June 2005, 03:17 AM

Hi Guys,

Anyway I'm still up for this, if you are.

Cheers,

Gerry

Just need a date to be able to make plans.:D

Gerry Gaffney
24th June 2005, 04:11 AM
OK Guys,

Just a quick edit to remove the first 2 dates in September as these are now gone.

Only have the following dates left I'm afraid.

8/10/05
22/10/05
29/10/05 There are more dates after this, but they seem a little distant.

Cheers,

Gerry

DJBlack
1st September 2006, 11:26 PM
Did this ever take place!??!

Moonshine
2nd September 2006, 01:13 AM
no

ianking
2nd September 2006, 05:23 AM
I would be interested in this if its still going ahead. Cant believe I never noticed this thread until now.

P33 ULC
7th September 2006, 07:25 AM
I would do this too guys! Let me know cheers :)

DJBlack
10th September 2006, 08:06 PM
ok...calling Gerry.....?

illegalhunter
30th September 2006, 05:29 AM
iam in if its a goer

stoney
30th September 2006, 05:56 AM
think this is dead AGAIN !!!!!