PDA

View Full Version : Vibration

RichardV
5th May 2005, 05:12 PM
Hi there looking for opinions......

I seem to have developed a pretty distinct vibration through the front wheels of the car, also feels like something is sticking when I have breaked to a stop.... a friend says it sounds like my brakes have moved out of alignment but has anyone got any ideas what this may be, the car feels like its about to shake itself apart when I get up to about 30mph......

Cheers

Big Gordy
5th May 2005, 05:43 PM
The vibration thing sounds like you're wheels are out of balance - maybe a weight has fallen off or have you recently fitted new tyre and not had them balanced:question: The sticking thing whilst braking to a stop is puzzling though and more info is required to make an educated guess I'm afraid:I :p:D:approve:

Gismo
5th May 2005, 06:06 PM
Could be a combination of any of the following:-
Wheel balance, warped disks, seized brakes, loose wheel nuts, severe mis-alignment

Take it back to a dealer asap

RichardV
5th May 2005, 06:38 PM
Cheers folks, I just got off the phone to a really helpful guy in Dunedin and they are going to take it in tomorrow to have a look, he said to check the tightness of the bolts and suggested a possible balance problem but is going to take it anyway to have a look over it....

Hope its nothing to serious though!

Thanks for the suggestions.:blackeye:

KenL
5th May 2005, 08:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by RichardV

Cheers folks, I just got off the phone to a really helpful guy in Dunedin and they are going to take it in tomorrow to have a look, he said to check the tightness of the bolts and suggested a possible balance problem but is going to take it anyway to have a look over it....

Hope its nothing to serious though!

Thanks for the suggestions.:blackeye:

Make sure you are getting it done under warranty as you may return to pick up your car and get a nasty shock. Things like alignment, wheel balancing may not be covered under warranty as they may think you've struck a kerb or big pot hole.

Please post how you get on.

Wul
5th May 2005, 09:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by RichardV

Cheers folks, I just got off the phone to a really helpful guy in Dunedin :blackeye:

You gotta be kiddin there Richard!! :blackeye::evil:;)

RichardV
6th May 2005, 12:08 AM
haha no I cant complain about the guy Wul, he first of all said they couldnt take it till Tuesday (I called Eastern before and they wouldnt even listen to my problem, just told me they couldnt take it till 16th May:dead:)

He gave me a few tips on things to check then agreed to take it tomorrow to have a look over it for me, cant complain about that, other than buying the car from Selkirk Dunedin, I havent dealt with them before so good first impression!

Wul
6th May 2005, 12:48 AM
Must be a new start!LOL ;)

Big Col
6th May 2005, 03:38 AM
Try Menzies in Stirling Rich, see what they say. If Iain (minime) can't do better we'll all bully him. :)

RichardV
6th May 2005, 06:05 PM
Well no need! I was cleaning the car last night, whilst polishing the alloys I noticed there were only 3 of the nuts and a hole where the 4th should be, checked them and all of them were loose, in fact 2 came off in my hand!

I got my tyre changed about 2 weeks ago so must've just come un-done so I re-tightened the ones there and drove down to work today and there were no problems, will by a replacement today....

Lucky the wheel didnt come off, especially when I was at Knockhill on Monday night!

Thanks for the tips though

Take it easy:D

Gismo
6th May 2005, 06:18 PM
Usually after fitting a new tyre the fitter should advise to get the nuts retightened after approx 50 miles, sometimes it's mentioned on your receipt
If neither mention nor instructions were given then i'd say you have a claim for compensation

bpirie1000
6th May 2005, 09:02 PM
Yip that will be the Smallest small print ever

Typical have to check your nut now and a gain...... Hee hee...

Brian

RichardV
6th May 2005, 09:36 PM
haha yeah im just gonna put it down to experience I think.......will know for next time!:D

KenL
6th May 2005, 11:22 PM
I'd get onto the muppets who changed your tyre, they obviously did not tighten them enough.

You might also want to take your wheel off and inspect the inside of it and your hub to check for amy damage. The hub should be OK since it is harder than Al alloy.

RichardV
9th May 2005, 05:38 PM
Yeah took up the last tip and had a look at the wheel, the locking nut has actually sheared off and im not able to get into it to try to remove! Just spoke to Dunedin and they can drill it out so im booked in on Thursday.

Will call Farmers today and see if they can come up with some kind of help with the payment so will let you know how I get on! Not too impressed though.:mad: