PDA

View Full Version : bubble in paintwork

ScottyC
30th April 2005, 04:18 AM
hey guys, i'm just wondering if anyone knows much about the paintwork warranty.
While washing the car today i noticed a small bubble in the paint on the drivers door where it looks like its stemmed from a chip in the paint. took it to a mate that was a spray painter to trade to get his opinion and he reckons theres water got in behind it.
The chip in the paint is most probably the cause but my question is do i have a warranty claim because this shouldn't happen? or are bmw just going to say that i don't have a claim because of just that?

Scotty

Mini Me
30th April 2005, 04:48 AM
depends on how the chip got there,you do get a 6 year anti corrosion warranty if there is a fault in the paint work,but that wont cover a chip.
Becauce MINI use water based paint, if you don;t touch up the chip,water will get in behind it and it will get worse.
Think youre on to plums unfortunately, but pop it into the dealer and see what they say,but take care of it asap !

ScottyC
30th April 2005, 05:22 AM
cheers. i'm quite sure i'll get told to sling my hook but i'll give it a go anyway. the bubbles been there less than two weeks, but the chip in the paint may have been there for longer.

KenL
30th April 2005, 06:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by minime
Becauce MINI use water based paint, if you don;t touch up the chip,water will get in behind it and it will get worse.

No way :p

It might be water based but that won't make it more likely to water damage. I thought all makers used water based paint now as it is better for the environment:question:

If it's a bubble it might be rust so get it sorted asap.

Mini Me
30th April 2005, 06:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

quote:Originally posted by minime

No way :p

It might be water based but that won't make it more likely to water damage. I thought all makers used water based paint now as it is better for the environment:question:

If it's a bubble it might be rust so get it sorted asap.

Oh contrare ,not every manufacturer uses it yet(they have until 2007)...however you are correct, doesn't matter if its water based or not, if you don't treat it asap,water will get under it and rust underneath.:eek::blackeye::I<just water based seems to react a wee bit quicker to the rust:(>