PDA

View Full Version : serious engine tuning for a super charged s

fullblown
30th April 2005, 02:54 AM
Hi,
thinking of buying a cooper s (super charged ). are there many mods you can do to make them alot quicker,as I had super charged saxo vts (200 bhp@wheels) until recently and am trying to find something to replace it with,but the std S just doesn,t cut it ,no where close .so who are the people to talk to to get serious power from these cars

Edit: Moved to the correct forum

duncan
30th April 2005, 03:03 AM
Hey fullblown.
There's plenty options for tuning the S.

Straight out the box from the dealer is the Works kit. Its quite expensive, but benefits from the warranty being kept.
Several members on here have that.

The pre-face lift S was 163 bhp as standard, and the works kit took that up to 200.
The new model is 170, and the works kit takes this to 210.

There are plenty other options. Julz has the BBR which is cheaper, but does have the disadvantage of warranty issues.
There is several stages of BBR tuning. 220 is one, and I think that 250 is possible.

Also, its possible to change the pulley on the supercharger, and chip the ECU to give more power output.

The sites tuning nuts will no doubt be along and keep you right.

Gismo
30th April 2005, 03:14 AM
Anything up to 275 BHP is achievable, but, anything more than 200 - 210 is unusable
As Duncan mentioned, JCW with no warranty worries but expensive, or there are many tuning companies around
The general mod is a smaller pulley and remap, your choice of tuner and price, good luck and welcome to the site :cool:

fullblown
30th April 2005, 03:27 AM
depends what you call unusable ,the saxo i had quite happily wasted evo,s all day long. what is the problem going more than 275bhp

sleepyrascal
30th April 2005, 04:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by fullblown

depends what you call unusable ,the saxo i had quite happily wasted evo,s all day long. what is the problem going more than 275bhp

when you go beyond 275bhp your starting to ask a bit to much of the car... its only small. You would be looking at serious money to take the car beyond 275 and keep the car from being very hard to live with in terms of drivability. ... I would have thought.

Mind you, after seeing a 640bhp ford fiesta wipe the floor with a brand new fully race prepared porshe 911 turboS last weekend, anything is possible :D

Scottie
30th April 2005, 05:25 AM
well we have a 275bhp mini cooper s and bonnie scotland is spot on.

You have to hold on for your life when you sink the foot meaning from a standing start my 210bhp cabrio can get up to sixty quicker I look in the reareview to see allan knuckles white but once you hit 60 (on a private road of course) he zooms past leaving me for dead.

Also to get the real benifit of the 275bhp the revs have got to be really high i mean really high in the cabrio I can drop to 4th and get amazing lift allan has to drop to third and get the revs well high before he get amazing lift.

fullblown
30th April 2005, 05:31 AM
got a power graph anyone to show where it all happens

Gismo
30th April 2005, 06:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by fullblown
got a power graph anyone to show where it all happens
There was a scary moment for someone who put their car on a rolling road, car went into safe mode :(
Personally i would never put any car i own onto one, i'm not desperate to know the figures, it's all about driver ability mostly ;)
By unusable i mean that from a standing start you go nowhere, there's no traction, but, once moving it's a different matter, you can obviously get to corners quicker, but you can only go round it at the max speed for that particular corner no matter if you have 1 or a 1000 BHP
When i get my next mini ;) i'll probably go the JCW route for peace of mind, max 210 BHP

Neil and Lorna
30th April 2005, 08:05 AM
Hi fullblown

Read this thread which was started by KJ.

He did a fantastic report on the JCW.

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4197

I had a standard Cooper s for 14 months before going for a cooper s jcw in March this year.:cool:

I was going to write a report after doing 2000 miles but I agree with what KJ said (except about the cabrio issues he has because i've never been in a cabrio)so theres absolutley no need for me to repeat what's allready been said.:):)

IMHO the JCW is fantastic and as its been said you get piece of mind that if anything falls of your covered.:D

Cheers Neil :D

fullblown
1st May 2005, 02:44 AM
err, at 27k , i think i would rather have an ex demo monaro

fullblown
1st May 2005, 02:46 AM
so no one has a rolling road print out then?

MartinSullivan
1st May 2005, 04:26 AM
If all out power and rolling road print outs are your thing Fullblown then check out Kinghorns thread re the Dastek conversion. It currently has a video of the dastek conversion on a rolling road but I am sure he will provide more info if you ask him :D

Check it out here (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4523)

minidriver#1
1st May 2005, 04:52 AM
it was £27k for a top of the range fully specced Convertible. you can get it standard with the tuning package for £18k i think... and its rare. It's definately worth it.

I'm glad you got rid of the Saxo, i hate em. Frankly i'd want a car where i didnt have to swap and engine to make it faster, and the MINI S is definately one of those cars and it'll retain value. I bet you had a nightmare selling that Saxo and possibly lost a lot of cash in the process... because at the end of the day its a Saxo, and its obsolete now.

Alternatively go Japanese. I'm currently looking for a Skyline R33 GTR after finally getting a decent quote, so if you find one let me know, standard too.