PDA

View Full Version : Hartge Coversion

yiponwah
24th July 2003, 07:24 AM
How many ppl have got the harge conversion done to there cooper s in scotland. To be honest would no mind having a ride in it to see how fast it is.

From Dave

GAJ
24th July 2003, 03:46 PM
Be nice to Bonnie Scotland then!

Gismo
24th July 2003, 05:42 PM
Ask Julz for her first impression whilst sitting in my car :D

Bonnie Scotland

Julz
24th July 2003, 06:29 PM
Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee:D:D:D
Put it this way, mine is booked in for August!!:D:D

yiponwah
26th July 2003, 07:54 AM
I see it is a lot faster but i cant really make up my mind either hartge or works it... im quite a fan of hartge stuff as I have already got the 18s classics wheels on my cooper s...

Gismo
26th July 2003, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't say it is much faster, probably the same, but the differences are, the works kit allegedly feels more refined, as if it drove right out the plant, the hartge, now, it provides you with a car that you know has been altered. It is a bit more aggresive and in your face. In my opinion thats what you want.
There is also the question of warranty, i'm not gonna get into the ins and outs here but suffice to say with the works package you are fully coverered.

Its all down to a question of price and warranty requirements.

Bonnie Scotland

yiponwah
26th July 2003, 08:49 PM
cheers for the help bonnie scoltand, what warranty u lose u got the hartge convwersion done and will u still be able to use the tlc for servcing and is ur dealer is o.k about the tuned up.

From Dave

Julz
27th July 2003, 05:18 PM
Alan uses the same dealer as me and they seem to have no problem with alans MANY mods, they just like to comment on whatever new toy he has this week! As for warranty etc., correct me if I'm wrong alan, but our dealer is quite good! Even with my monster Piper-x, which is meant to void the warranty, BabyB still got tlc'd a few weeks ago!!:D

yiponwah
27th July 2003, 05:27 PM
Yeh I know induction tend be find from my dealer since I had it on my old cooper before but in the cooper s u are talking about engines mods, which some dealer are no keen about it.

Gismo
27th July 2003, 06:53 PM
Very briefly, my dealer is quite happy with all my mods, especially the Hartge, they will and have honoured the TLC, my car was serviced not too long ago.
They have adopted a common sense approach, providing any engine damage is not directly linked with the conversion they will repair as part of the warranty. I couldn't expect and wouldn't expect any different, If however, the fuel cap falls off they will repair that as a matter of course.

Hope that helps

Bonnie Scotland

yiponwah
28th July 2003, 02:28 AM
Cheers Bonnie scotland, I dotn think my dealer going to be unhappy about cos i bet they probably want a shot of it too when it in for service stuff fix. How much the insurance group gone up with the upgrade cos I only got problem is that I am only 20.

From Dave

Gismo
28th July 2003, 06:39 AM
Wow :eek: whats that in english, i guess the question is how much does your insurance go up, well, 2 stories here and i'm not saying what i've done:-
The hartge conversion is virtually invisible, you would really have to be clued up and know what you are looking for and can tell by looking at the slightly smaller but shiny pulley. The original is matt.
You could argue that if you were in a crash the car would not be able to be driven therefore the insurance inspector could not determine if it had been converted.
Doing the decent thing will increase your insurance and at your age i'm scared to even think what it may go up to.
For example, i am 43, honest and i was 375 quid with directline and after the conversion it went up to 695 :eek: You are 20, ouch, you are gonna be hit very hard. Directline have BHP bands, starting at 0 - 12 BHP and on up to whatever.

Hope that helps

Bonnie Scotland

yiponwah
28th July 2003, 07:19 AM
cheers for your help bonnie scotland:), I probably leave the coversion until next year since the car is only a month old.. hehhe :D

richardwatson
3rd January 2005, 07:07 AM
where abouts in scotland can you get a hartge conversion and do they have a web address?

john
3rd January 2005, 07:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by richardwatson

where abouts in scotland can you get a hartge conversion and do they have a web address?

pretty sure that Grassicks in Perth are agents for Hartge:)

Julz
3rd January 2005, 09:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

The man is correct (it does happen occasionally!!;)) but you have to go through Hartge (Birds) and they contact Grassicks, who cantact you!:clown:

Mini Me
3rd January 2005, 06:30 PM
there are people out there who are going to expect this reply from me,but i have my shovel ready:blackeye:.If you go down the non MINI conversion avenue(depending on the dealership)you will invalidate your warranty(if related to the conversion).In most cases,the dealed who fits the kit ,is the only one who will honour it.But as for TLC, it clearly stated in the back of your TLC book, any mods fitted that are non MINI,will invalidate your TLC,again can very much depend on the dealer,but i have seen it it happen many times(most of which the customer has never been told by the fitting dealer)Since MINI have invested in JCW in such a big way, things are getting very strict,and they will charge you,and then you have the whole re-sale issue,cos if you don't have TLC ,most people and every dealer(ok ,i expect there will be some)wont touch it.
So, i'm not saying don't get it,i just feel you should know the facts.:blackeye::blackeye::eek:
Wait to you see the abuse i get from this reply<cannae find me ,i'm under ma desk>:(

Gismo
3rd January 2005, 07:42 PM
Iain,
Of course you have a very valid point and i'm not gonna flame you for it.
This topic has been thrashed to death both here and on MINI2, i will always comment on it though ;)
To be held to ransom by a large car giant like BMW is quite un-nerving, Microsoft recently lost large sums of money trying to ensure that their products only were used with their own software, it failed and quite rightly so.
For BMW to take this particular stance of cancelling your TLC is totally ridiculous, i can understand that if any of the mods caused a failure, then there is a question of acceptance and blame that can be discussed.
I could go on and on etc, but, answer me this hypothetical question, if anyone were to install a non MINI hi fi and their engine seized will you still honour the warranty and TLC, even though it clearly states in the TLC book it won't.
Or, if anyone were to install a non MINI body kit and the brakes failed, etc etc :evil:;)

Mini Me
3rd January 2005, 08:11 PM
I think on the warranty side of things,it is very much a gray area,as the fault has to be directly linked to the non MINI part,so if you fitted a sound system for example ,only the unit and any related parts would be affected,as for TLC,the stance is anything non MINI will not be covered by TLC,there for you would have to pay for the service(which i have seen happen a few times)
The conditions of TLC state"any form of tuning or performance enhancement that is not MINI approved invalidates the MINI tlc agreement"

Gismo
3rd January 2005, 08:46 PM
Tuning is exactly my point, all radios are tuned, as it clearly states in the TLC manual :p
I for one do not care about the big boy bully tactics and would welcome any discussion relating to a failed part that caused any damage to be proven beyond reasonable doubt that it was to blame.
It's about time BMW accepted that there are many other reputable tuners and suppliers out there that are equal to, but more importantly that some are far superior to their own products.
It is not acceptable to me that i or anyone else should have to pay the asking price for their own engine conversion or tuning product or do without, i, as the consumer must have the right to choose what i do with my hard earned cash, anything else contravenes the European commision of fair trade.
Don't get me wrong here, i own another BMW car :) but, i would be easily moved if i was in any way treated unfairly

Mini Me
3rd January 2005, 09:12 PM
I see your point BS,it's not something that i myself understand(although i am sure MINI have there reasons),as you are correct,what you do with your car is up to you. I just thought that since i had seen it happen to many a disgtuntled customer, that it was only fair i pointed out what "could" possibly happen.
Dont shoot the messenger:p
I have e-mailed top brass to get an explanation in detail.
New post for tomorrow...MINIME seeks new job...lol

GAJ
3rd January 2005, 10:12 PM
The way I see it is that MINI's stance is no different to any other manufacturer's. They offer a warrranty on their product in the knowledge that the components used have been thorougly tested and are fit for purpose. If you change components I think it is unfair to expect MINI to accept responsibility if they lead, directly or indirectly, to a problem later. As it can be virtually impossible to trace the root of a problem at a later stage, they have taken the common sense approach of warning that non approved parts will invalidate the warranty. Reputable tuners acccept this and offer their own engine warranties as they understand that although they may have tested their products and are happy that they are safe and of good quality, this testing has not been done by MINI. Realistically, MINI are not able to test all aftermarket tuning parts so simply refuse to have anything to do with them. Most dealers will probably take a pragmatic view to a clearly unrelated problem, especially if it is something which is easy, quick and cheap to put right, but I would not like to be in the position of having an expensive, complicated problem with the engine of a modified car.

Mini Me
3rd January 2005, 11:03 PM
what Gaj said !:p

Gismo
3rd January 2005, 11:06 PM
Yay, way to go Gaj, exactly as you say, except, why should I :p:)

Scottie
4th January 2005, 04:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by yiponwah

I see it is a lot faster but i cant really make up my mind either hartge or works it... im quite a fan of hartge stuff as I have already got the 18s classics wheels on my cooper s...

If it was me and money not to much a issue then I would go with the works.

When you trade or come to sell the motor it's going to be easier I think.

My blue mini is a classic example of a mini that has had to much money and to many mods done on it I'm never going to re coop a quarter of what I've spent so I'll still have it when it's a classic.

The red mini has the works and I like it much better the only hartage that i've driven was Barry at Zeemax seemed ok though.

As for warranty well I never thought about it just took for granted that it would be void but then my thoughts are if anything breaks then I'll have to fork the money out and get it fixed.:)

Scottch
4th January 2005, 05:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

quote:Originally posted by john

The man is correct (it does happen occasionally!!;)) but you have to go through Hartge (Birds) and they contact Grassicks, who cantact you!:clown:

I'm pretty sure that Grassicks has given up selling the Hartge gear - I was certainly given that impression when we were buying our car.

Cheers!

Scott

Julz
5th January 2005, 02:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by Scottch

I'm pretty sure that Grassicks has given up selling the Hartge gear - I was certainly given that impression when we were buying our car.

Cheers!

Scott

Quite possibly, it was about a year and a half ago that I contacted them! I knew BMW weren't overly amused at one of their dealers fitting a rival engine mod!!:p