PDA

View Full Version : ALMOST SOLD MY MINI

ny152
28th April 2005, 05:45 PM
Done the deed last night :I...

After deciding it was time to change the car I placed an order for a Toyota Yaris Colour last night. Nice car, sporty looking, 5 doors, excellent reliability etc.

Got home though and felt like I had cheated on my MINI. Tricia laughed at me (sometimes I dont think she understands my obsession, enthusiasm).

Is it normal to feel guilty about getting rid of a car? Never felt like this before, it's like sending your puppy to the dog home :(.

Started thinking I might end up like the guy in the current Toyota advert. If I sell the MINI then see someone else driving it, i'd be jumping out the Yaris and running after them shouting "thats my car!"

At the moment my head says yes to changing (new warranty, 5 dr so more space, cheaper monthly payments). But my heart says don't do it (it's not a MINI).

Still trying to decide if I should cancel the order or not. Tricia thinks I'm mad in general but knows what I'm like with my car (and she was grateful for the MINI handling after a "grouse incident" the other night). But don't think she is too happy with me at the moment after I took the mickey when she didn't know Darth Vader was Luke Skywalkers father :blackeye:.

HELP :question::eightball::question:

GAJ
28th April 2005, 05:50 PM
I think you know what the response will be here! Dinnae dae it! Fair enough, the car in front may well be a Toyota, but you dinnae want to buy one! Stick with the MINI!

ny152
28th April 2005, 05:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I think you know what the response will be here! Dinnae dae it! Fair enough, the car in front may well be a Toyota, but you dinnae want to buy one! Stick with the MINI!

Posted on a Toyota forum and they were quite unbiased :eek:.

It's a head over heart decision, but I think the MINI is winning :D.

Only thing is, everyone in the South side of Glasgow is getting diesel MINI's - they're just so common now :p!!

GAJ
28th April 2005, 06:08 PM
They weren't being unbiased, they wish that they had bought MINIs too!

Scottie
28th April 2005, 06:19 PM
Well I would say do whats best for you and your pocket.

Don't take the mick but have you had a look at the Honda Jazz the room in that car is amazing.

My pal has got one drove it a good few times really nippy.

ny152
28th April 2005, 06:25 PM
Hi Fiona
It would work out the same either way by the time economy and servicing is taken into account, just that the MINI would be out of warranty and need MOT's sooner (out of warranty and MINI = scary).
The Jazz is an excellent car and as you say, has loads of room. But it's just a bit too much like a mini mpv (and I've already had two Picassos!).

Scottie
28th April 2005, 06:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Goldmini

Hi Fiona
It would work out the same either way by the time economy and servicing is taken into account, just that the MINI would be out of warranty and need MOT's sooner (out of warranty and MINI = scary).
The Jazz is an excellent car and as you say, has loads of room. But it's just a bit too much like a mini mpv (and I've already had two Picassos!).

Ok what about the new Seat Altea seen a few on the road look really good.

I know what you mean about Mini Out of warranty mines will be three this July mind you never had much of a warranty after all the mods but got to say I'm a bit worried about MOTs emissions etc but will cross that bridge. If it did not have all that work done on it she would be down the road tomorrow and I would get a CrossFire:eek:

ny152
28th April 2005, 06:41 PM
Seat Altea is nice, quite unusual and I've heard its very sweet with the DSG gearbox.

Crossfire Convertible or hardtop? - like the look of the hardtop despite all the comments about the plasticky interior. Nice view from the rear (I followed one up the M80 one night just to look at its behind :eek:)

duncan
28th April 2005, 06:43 PM

(out of warranty and MINI = scary).

My sentiments entirely.

You've just got to weigh up the options, and remember, at the end of the day, its only a car.

Scottie
28th April 2005, 06:46 PM

Seat Altea is nice, quite unusual and I've heard its very sweet with the DSG gearbox.

Crossfire Convertible or hardtop? - like the look of the hardtop despite all the comments about the plasticky interior. Nice view from the rear (I followed one up the M80 one night just to look at its behind :eek:)

Soft Top Yellow one.

they are doing a butcher model but limited numbers. Not surre what it is called had one a couple weekends ago for a test drive I liked it even if JC of Topgear hated it.;)

ny152
28th April 2005, 06:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

You've just got to weigh up the options, and remember, at the end of the day, its only a car.

The MINI only a car :eek::D

Phoned the Toyota dealer and told them I wouldn't be going ahead with the deal. The main sticking point is that going back to a petrol engine would spoil the enjoyment I get from 50+ mpg, excellent handling and 500 miles between fill ups!

On a side note, was surprised at the difference in economy when I put 15" alloys on and took off the 16" runflats. Getting an extra 40 miles on a full tank. Must be to do with the weight of the wheels.

duncan
28th April 2005, 07:00 PM

quote:Originally posted by duncan

The MINI only a car :eek::D

Phoned the Toyota dealer and told them I wouldn't be going ahead with the deal.

Yes, I know, a hell of a car right enough!

Glad to see your changing your mind about the Yaris.
Whats the option now? Another MINI One D?

Julz
28th April 2005, 07:36 PM
I had a wee 1.2 Yaris as a hire car for a couple of weeks, I was actually sorry to see it go, it was a fun wee thing!! I can totally sympathise with your dilema, I felt like I was cheating on my mini when I was going to mitsi garages to the point that I never actually went in my mini! Every day I drive her and wonder if I'm doing the right thing, but then I remember I'm getting an evo!!;):D

duncan
28th April 2005, 07:43 PM
ISTR that its a Yaris engine thats in the One D anyway. You've got the best of both worlds already!

Smurf
28th April 2005, 08:20 PM
If you could extend your warranty, would that help?
Speak to your MINI dealer.......

Big Col
28th April 2005, 08:29 PM
Why the fek would you trade a MINI in for a Yaris???

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Heather
28th April 2005, 09:14 PM
Traitor!;) Its a tough call alan but as a new convert to the world of oil burning I think you should either extend the warranty or get a new shiny MOD! (biased of course:D)

Big Col
28th April 2005, 09:20 PM
I do have one more thing to say. Yaris people have a forum? Scary!

duncan
28th April 2005, 09:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I do have one more thing to say.

As ever:p

Burple
28th April 2005, 09:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I had a wee 1.2 Yaris as a hire car for a couple of weeks, I was actually sorry to see it go, it was a fun wee thing!! I can totally sympathise with your dilema, I felt like I was cheating on my mini when I was going to mitsi garages to the point that I never actually went in my mini! Every day I drive her and wonder if I'm doing the right thing, but then I remember I'm getting an evo!!;):D

Hey.. that's not what you said when you had it!! :p:p:p
Ah crap.. the thought of a 4-door must be turning you old and sensible!! ;);)

Burple
28th April 2005, 10:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I do have one more thing to say. Yaris people have a forum? Scary!

To discuss what??
Flat caps?
Burberry Wax Jackets?
Spaniels?
Pensions?
Shopping in M&S?
Nursing Homes?
Too Far???

;););):p:p:D:D:D

Duncan Stewart
28th April 2005, 10:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Heather

I think you should either extend the warranty or get a new shiny MOD! (biased of course:D)

I agee with Heather :approve:
If you do buy the Yaris watch the dealers - I had terrible trouble with the ones in Perth and Dunfermline.
I did think of buying a Yaris 1.4D as an everyday car before the New Mini came out :I
Now where are my flat cap and slippers ;):p:D

Kosta
29th April 2005, 12:32 AM
i thought when buying a new car, u aimed to better yourself? Now to me, going from MINI to a Yaris is a big backward step?

ny152
29th April 2005, 12:42 AM
Just went for a quick 150 mile run to reassure myself about the MINI :).

Think I must have had a severe case of itchy car syndrome (no jokes please). Usually happens about every 2 years when I want a different motor. Thankfully I've came to my senses just in time and cancelled the Yaris order.

Hope nothing else comes along before the next generation of diesel MINI to tempt me though!

Must be a testament to the MINI that even though I've experienced more problems with it than any other car that I still want to keep it. Also helps when the dealer is above average, and in that respect Harry Fairbairns have always been very helpful and sorted stuff out quickly.

Col, yep, Yaris people have a forum - they dont have a resident heckler though, so might be an opening for you :eek:.

euan
29th April 2005, 12:53 AM
You see, I was in the same place but did actually sell the car :)

I've spent the last week in turmoil if I was doing the right thing etc etc, but having driven 200+ miles today and yesterday in it, I'm quite certain that while I will be sad to see it go, I've done the right thing.

At least, I can keep telling myself that...:)

Yaris is a decent little car, I seem to remember it was like my mum's old AX where you could get lift off oversteer (I was REALLY trying), but you also got the old mudflaps rubbing on the street. Ah, happy days :)

Starky
29th April 2005, 02:04 AM
Allen, guess what we traded in for our MCS, yep, flame GOLD 1.0 GLS YARIS, great wee car but totally gutless compared to the mini, good decision mucker :D

ny152
29th April 2005, 02:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Starky

Allen, guess what we traded in for our MCS, yep, flame GOLD 1.0 GLS YARIS, great wee car but totally gutless compared to the mini, good decision mucker :D

:eek: :eek:

For a minute I read that the wrong way and thought you had got rid of the MCS for a Yaris :clown:.

Good choice of colour on the old motor though :p.

Heather
29th April 2005, 02:21 AM
I had the "fancy a change" thing too alan. Just took a quick walk around Menzie to sort that one out!;) I think the next gen D's are going to be quite interesting:D

Starky
29th April 2005, 02:23 AM
quote:

For a minute I read that the wrong way and thought you had got rid of the MCS for a Yaris :clown:.

:eek::eek:Nae chance, might go for a Crossfire you mentioned earlier or more likely the 350Z "the working man's Porsche" :):D, but not for a couple of years yet. :D:D

Mini Me
29th April 2005, 03:37 AM
:eek::eek:that was a close call <wipes sweat from forehead>

Glad you saw sence :D;)

Big Col
29th April 2005, 03:52 PM

quote:Originally posted by Starky

:eek: :eek:

LOL! I totally read it the wrong way too. :I:D