http://www.m4protest.org/

GAJ
27th April 2005, 06:09 PM
Wrong! It should be in Fife!;)

Burple
27th April 2005, 07:12 PM
quote:
This is the message that speed cameras send:

"You can't or won’t catch the mugger who steals an old lady's purse, but you're quite happy to take £60 out of her purse when she's caught doing 57 in a 50"

Precisely.
Fair enough, I was driving quickly, got flashed and caught.

But what of the car full of drunken wee Neds that crashed into me, whilst speeding through a roundabout, did £4.5k worth of damage, drove away from the scene of the accident, abandoned their vehicle, THREW THE CAR KEYS AWWAY, and legged it. So far this has doubled my insurance (because they didn't have any), because the guy who had owned the car had allegedly just sold it, and nobody had filled in the V5 slips to send to the DVLA; and cost me 2 days off work for court appearances as a witness, to which the guy the Police *think* it might have been didn't show up...

Yes.. there's your taxes at work. Last visit to the Police.
"Hmm yeah, that's your description of the driver, but we think it might have been *this* person", whose photograph they couldn't show me.

What will be the outcome? well if the guy finally DOES turn up at court what will happen? a slap on the wrists and some community service?

While I have to find the cash to pay for inflated insurance for years to come and try to get my no-claims bonus back to what it was.

So.. speed cameras. Easy money makers for a lazy police force.

Don't get me wrong. there SHOULD be traffic cars out there stopping DANGEROUS drivers. Is travelling at 2 or 3 mph over the speed limit dangerous under normal conditions?
Probably not, but it doesn't hurt the Traffic Police's figures now does it??

Any opinions? Craig D maybe?? (cos I know you'll have an interest in this one..) ;););):p:p:D:D:D

duncan
27th April 2005, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

[quote]
So.. speed cameras. Easy money makers for a lazy police force

Pretty much how I see it.
Don't think you can complain if your pulled over by a constable, who can judge the situation.

The cameras have no leeway, and more importantly, don't catch dangerous drivers.

Plus, something that really annoys me, is the siting of the so called Safety Camera Vans. Bumping up on the Kerb isnt safe, neither is parking them close to junctions - Greendykes Road, in particular.

Duncan Stewart
27th April 2005, 07:39 PM
Excellent to see some one doing something about speed cameras. In my experience they are dangerous - has anyone looked at the accidents they cause?

Burple
27th April 2005, 07:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Excellent to see some one doing something about speed cameras. In my experience they are dangerous - has anyone looked at the accidents they cause?

Almost as dangerous as those people on the roads who, while driving along, see a police car driving towards them in the opposite direction, and feel the need to jump on their brakes to slow down a bit.. even for normal patrol cars, never mind traffic ones!!!!!
WHAT exactly does that do? Have they no common sense? do they honestly think they'll get stopped for something by a police car travelling in the opposite direction with no means of detecting how fast they're travelling? Or is it just a guily conscience?
;)

Idiots... :D

Heather
27th April 2005, 07:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Wrong! It should be in Fife!;)

Too late for that thought! ;)
Speeding is an emotive issue but I agree that the current enforcement techniques do not do anything to deal with the more dangerous offenders. They are another example of the motorist being a "cash cow" for stealth revenue boosting.

Gismo
27th April 2005, 08:32 PM
To answer MMM's question, i'm not so sure to have a 'slow' drive on a motorway is the ideal place to highlight an opinion such as this
For all the other drivers who regularly use the road being forced to reduce their speed to allow this will most probably cause more harm than good through rage and other areas

Far be it for me to mention that the participants could cause a major accident resulting in injury and loss of life through their actions defies belief :disapprove:

GAJ
27th April 2005, 09:24 PM
There is a simple way to avoid having to pay speed camera fines and having to brake heavily at cameras, I think we all know what it is.

I have been caught twice in the last couple of years, both times by vans not fixed cameras and that's my own fault. It is my responsibility as a driver to know the legal limit, not the limit I think is safe and to obey that limit. Drivers should be driving within these limits all the time so there should be no need to brake when a camera is spotted. There seems to be a general feeling that it's ok to speed, much like there was years ago about having a wee drink and driving. (Makes you feel a wee bit more confident behind the wheel!;))

It just muddles the issue to say that the police should put as much effort into catching real criminals. Nobody would argue that there are more serious crimes than exceeding a speed limit but laws are laws. We can't chose which ones we obey.

Wul
27th April 2005, 09:59 PM
I agree with all your comments GAJ but it would appear whilst we can't decide which laws we obey the Police/Government can decide which ones they want to spend more money on enforcing than the others - if people knew for sure that their £60 fixed penalty notice was going straight to improve the roads or NHS then there probably would be less opposition to them but who knows where all that money goes.

The same goes for all that extra stamp duty the IR has gained over the last few years - wheres all the extra council/affordable properties that should be funded by this money thus levelling out the housing market!!

Scottie
27th April 2005, 10:07 PM
well I think right or wrong not sure.

but

Defo for speed cameras etc in built up areas infact I think the speed limit should be reduced down to 20 - 25 mph.

Speed Limit on normal roads to remain @ 60 mph with speed camera at bad junction etc.

However I think they should unlimit the speed on Motorways like Germany but have a limit at particular spots as they do over there.

Let's face it on the M25 M4 (Heathrow into London bit) or M40 @ peak times you can't get much above 40mph but up here in Scotland yipee.

The Dogfather
28th April 2005, 06:12 AM
I agree with speed cameras are a being misused, just be glad you live in Scotland in Blackpool you can't drive a mile without seeing one.

You might as well be driving a Milk Float if you live down there....

Big Col
28th April 2005, 04:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

To answer MMM's question, i'm not so sure to have a 'slow' drive on a motorway is the ideal place to highlight an opinion such as this
For all the other drivers who regularly use the road being forced to reduce their speed to allow this will most probably cause more harm than good through rage and other areas

Far be it for me to mention that the participants could cause a major accident resulting in injury and loss of life through their actions defies belief :disapprove:

I agree with all of this. Just thought I'd say that. :)

Duncan Stewart
28th April 2005, 04:46 PM
While I agree we should know the limits and stick to them it is the limits themselves that are getting silly :(
On my drive to work there are several places that were 40mph, changed to 30 and now becoming 20 and a 60 becoming a 40. The main roads around Glenrothes / Markinch where I work have single carriageway, out of town roads reduced from 60mph to 40 or 30, and the dual carriageway reduced from 70mph to 50.
It is getting really silly! I think many speed limits need raised, not lowered. And road education changed from the current - "go slow so when you hit some one you don't kill them" to a more sensible education of all road users and pedestrians to avoid accidents altogether!
said my bit :approve:, tear me to bits now :p:eek:;)

Scottie
28th April 2005, 05:05 PM
Here we go have a wee read

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1587166,00.html

bpirie1000
29th April 2005, 08:23 PM
I Agree...