PDA

View Full Version : Bought Vauxhall Omega MV6 - Soon to be LPG

The Dogfather
25th April 2005, 04:48 AM
I'm thinking of an extreme change. We've taken the decision to get rid of the Fiesta cause it's crap!

This is our second car and has to 25k miles a year and last for at least 5 years. We are thinking about a 2/3 year old Mondeo either a Ghia X or Zetec S V6, I can get one for £7000 - £9000. This will be converted to run on LPG.

-Update- Just bought a Vauxhall Omega MV6 Auto - see pic below

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=169184494

We collect it either this weekend or early next week. It has full leather dual zone climate. The LPG conversion will cost £1800 but I'll get £800 back in a grant. I can get LPG for 35p/litre compared with 85p for unleaded, this means that driven sedately it should cost the same as a 60mpg diesel supermini!

Big Gordy
25th April 2005, 07:14 AM
Well I;ve had my Mundane for about 3 years now and its coming up for 110,000 miles and I can honestly say nothing has gone wrong with it or fallen off - YET;)(famous last words:I) Its a 2 litre SI and can fair shift if it has too:p and the boot is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge :p:D:approve:

Kosta
25th April 2005, 07:39 AM
From a few things ive heard, dont go for the V6 and LPG, go for a 2.0 TDCi Zetec S, or Ghia X. Savwe on the conversion cost, and theyre quick too, and economical.

euan
25th April 2005, 04:13 PM
The 2.0 TDCi is a great engine - I had one in a hire car and drove from Aberdeen to London in it with a boot full of stuff - it just eats up those miles. I've also had one on the A702 from Edinburgh and had to get out at the end and admire it - great handling for a big car!

The Dogfather
26th April 2005, 07:18 AM
Looks like it'll be a Omega MV6 2.6 24v that'll replace the Fiesta which will be rapidly converted to LPG.

sleepyrascal
26th April 2005, 08:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Looks like it'll be a Omega MV6 2.6 24v that'll replace the Fiesta which will be rapidly converted to LPG.

Paul.... Make sure you get the government grant for your conversion. They will pay up to 70% of the cost on new cars through the powershift scheme.

http://www.shellgas.co.uk/site/page/32/lang/en

The Dogfather
26th April 2005, 09:35 AM
Cheers SR.

Powershift don't have funds anymore but there's autogas+ a Scottish grant scheme that pays out £800.

I Want A Works
27th April 2005, 09:47 AM
quote:[i]

We collect it either this weekend or early next week. It has full leather dual zone climate. The LPG conversion will cost £1800 but I'll get £800 back in a grant. I can get LPG for 35p/litre compared with 85p for unleaded, this means that driven sedately it should cost the same as a 60mpg diesel supermini!

Doing some quick maths, you are having to pay £1000 for the conversion. You are saving 50p per litre so you will have to use 2000 litres, or roughly 440 gallons to break even. That in turn means that, if u get 60mpg, you are having to drive 26400 miles before it is worth your while. Sorry but I'm a nit for figures :clown:

GAJ
27th April 2005, 05:25 PM
I'm sure BDM has done the sums!;) He didn't say he would get 60 mpg, he said it would cost the same as a 60 mpg diesel supermini to run! He'll be lucky to get 30 mpg but will still break even in a couple of years with the mileage he will be doing - and he'll be in a nice car while he does so! (For a Vauxhall!!;))

Scottie
27th April 2005, 05:29 PM
that's all well and good but as long as the conversion dose not blow up:p

common fault

infact it was on TV last night "Caravan Sights" think it was on the men and motors channel.

they were going on about it on a range rover conversion:eek:

The Dogfather
27th April 2005, 06:14 PM
You right Gaj, the car will be kept for about six years and will do 120k to 150k before we get rid. It'll cost the same as the Fester but I'll have Leather interior, Climate Control, Xenons, Autobox with sport mode and 175bhp instead of 75bhp.

Yes its a very very nice car (even though its a vauxhall).

By the way you can convert MINI as well you can only put in a 35 litre tank though, it takes up about the same room as a subwoofer........

Not sure if you can do a Cooper S though!

BTW there's never been a 'blow up' of a LPGA approved conversion.

Scottie
27th April 2005, 06:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

You right Gaj, the car will be kept for about six years and will do 120k to 150k before we get rid. It'll cost the same as the Fester but I'll have Leather interior, Climate Control, Xenons, Autobox with sport mode and 175bhp instead of 75bhp.

Yes its a very very nice car (even though its a vauxhall).

By the way you can convert MINI as well you can only put in a 35 litre tank though, it takes up about the same room as a subwoofer........

Not sure if you can do a Cooper S though!

BTW there's never been a 'blow up' of a LPGA approved conversion.

Sorry Paul but don't think that right not according to the show last night anyway.

Also check out the safety re accidents etc.

Also the duty rate on LPG over the next year is tagged to double you are aware of this. They hope to bring it line with other fuels and I'm not winding you up.

duty rate at the moment is 12.70ppl so add another 35.00ppl

The Dogfather
27th April 2005, 06:49 PM
Did the research! There's a lot of cowboy conversion around that's why

Scootie - Safety http://www.lpg-kits.com/why.htm

Price - It might go up but more likely to be small increases but even if duty rate doubles which would seriously undermine government policy (I know I work for DTI) that would mean LPG would cost 47.5 - 51.5 p/litre. This is unlikely as the government are syill actually giving out grants to increase the take up of the fuel.

Duncan Stewart
27th April 2005, 07:28 PM
You mad speed freak Paul! ;):D Enjoy the new motor. LPG conversion sounds a good way to have a powerful car without the huge fuel bills. Bet it handles like a tank compared to your Mini :D

The Dogfather
28th April 2005, 06:18 AM
DS - Not too worried about the handling, that's why I have the MINI :D

This'll be the work car and for trips down south, the last trip to Blackpool/Newcastle in the MINI wasn't much fun. Elliott the bad dog was badder than ever!

The Dogfather
28th April 2005, 04:55 PM
I've just read that running a car on LPG can extend the engines life by up 50% because it's a cleaner fuel.

G2 - S
28th April 2005, 07:07 PM
Any power drop by converting? Looks sweet by the way even though I have Vauxhalls!!

The Dogfather
28th April 2005, 07:12 PM
G2 - I'll let you know soon as I get the conversion done, there's not supposed to be any!

GAJ
28th April 2005, 07:17 PM
I drove an LPG Vectra for a week a while back and there was no noticeable difference between the LPG and petrol performance.

G2 - S
28th April 2005, 07:33 PM
Just did a quick google on it - 5% estimate so you'll loose 8.75 bhp!! Not likely to notice that but then again - 163 to 170 I felt a difference.

The Dogfather
29th April 2005, 04:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by G2 - S

Just did a quick google on it - 5% estimate so you'll loose 8.75 bhp!! Not likely to notice that but then again - 163 to 170 I felt a difference.

I can live with losing 5% especially if it saves me £2000 per year on fuel costs!