PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Queries/advice Thread

sw
19th April 2005, 07:44 AM
My insurance is due on the 21st of this month, with elephant.co.uk now.
25 years old no convictions etc. Std Mini cooper Where is the cheapest??????

Thanks

duncan
19th April 2005, 07:57 AM
No definate answer to where is the cheapest really, however MINI's own insurance is run by UKI who own Direct Line, and is very competitive in my experience.

Plus, its a MINI approved bodyshop that fixes your MINI if the worst happens.

Do a search (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/search.asp) for insurance and see older threads for recommendations

sleepyrascal
19th April 2005, 08:36 AM
tesco tesco!! try asda too!

Julz
19th April 2005, 04:06 PM
If you go to www.confused.com they do a bit of searching for you and tend to find some really good quotes (i.e. Robs 911 for £438!!:eek: and my Evo for £600:p)!!!!:D

Duncan Stewart
19th April 2005, 04:24 PM
Confused.com is excellent, as Julz says.
My Cooper is insured by direct line (not searched by confused.com) who give a discount if you have house insurance with them.

Gismo
19th April 2005, 04:40 PM
As others have said, confused.com is a good search engine, but, be wary of the cheapest they find, check the conditions carefully
When using them for the scooby :I i was given a couple of nice low quotes, but, the excess was quite high :evil:

Monsta Mo Mini
19th April 2005, 04:48 PM
Insurance is a subject that seems to arise every few weeks and every few weeks everyone has to give the same answer. I'm going to sticky this thread in the hope that it won't duplicate itself again.

ehthankyou

euan
19th April 2005, 05:39 PM
Try Esure if you have a NCB - they've always been the cheapest for me.

Julz
19th April 2005, 06:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

I wouldn't try them myself, purely cause I hate hate hate those flippin' ads!! (and if anyone even thinks of saying "calm down dear" I might just have to get stroppy!!;)) :p

GAJ
19th April 2005, 06:03 PM
Calm down dear! They're only commercials!:clown:

duncan
19th April 2005, 06:04 PM
Do you not mean even more stroppy? :eek:;):p

euan
19th April 2005, 06:32 PM
I will admit the adverts are annoying, but I'm letting myself off the hook as I've been with them for 3 years (I get new quotes every year and nobody has beaten them yet), so before the annoying adverts!

Not as annoying as the dancing elephant...

Jeff
21st April 2005, 03:14 AM
Tesco and they are bloody good at dealing with you after some twat has run into you in a Range Rover!!!!

eddie 44
21st April 2005, 06:20 AM
yep been with tesco,s last two years ST170 & cooper :D

euan
3rd May 2005, 09:50 PM
Where do we stand on shortfall insurance?

Is it worthwhile? Or walk away?

N12 JLK
31st May 2005, 03:39 AM
Don't try E-sure what ever you do. been with them for two years and only had reason to phone them twice, each time it's been a disaster! and can only ever get through to India. :dead:

Big Col
31st May 2005, 03:53 PM
I got my best quote from First Alternative.

GAJ
31st May 2005, 05:04 PM
My best quote was with Elephant who were considerably cheaper than everyone else for me. They covered my induction kit, after market wheels etc. no problem and my insurance is actually cheaper this year than it was last year! I've had a couple of claims in the last couple of years and they have been very efficient. It's all down to personal circummstances though and there is no real alternative to getting several quotes personally. I have tried the 'Confused' website and it has been worse than useles for me; it has always came back with a couple of sky high quotes and a message saying that the others could't quote for me online!

Lesley, I've heard similar things recently from others about eSure. I know people who have switched insurerers due to the problems encountered with their new call centres. Elephant's isn't much better, it's in Wales!:eek:

Scottie
31st May 2005, 05:19 PM
what you all use the internet to get car insurance:eek: what is the world coming too with all this computer internet stuff these days.

Me I either use my local broker in our village or my CIS insurance man that still comes to the house. :D

ScottyC
2nd June 2005, 02:24 AM
CIS STILL send a manny round with payment books? Deary dear,has nobody told them about direct debit! There was a dude used to go round my mum's 10 years ago, can hardly believe they still do it

The Dogfather
2nd June 2005, 04:06 AM
My cheapest prior to mods was Frizzel, post mods we went with Diamond.

euan
7th June 2005, 01:33 AM
I have to say in Esure's defence, I've not had any hassle with getting through to a call centre, it's always been in Scotland somewhere.

minimadtez
10th August 2005, 07:37 PM
HELP!!! Insurance time again! Ive been getting quotes......some decent ones around £550 which include my wheels etc etc but I cant get insurance to cover me driving other cars!

I REALLY REALLY need this as my old mini is insured in dads name and I drive it 3rd party off my current insurance. Im with Endsleigh at the moment (who insure me through Norwich Union) but they dont like my mods so wont insure me after my current policy expires! (the woman was REALLY nasty on the phone!).

All the policies I have tried have said I cant drive other cars because I am only 21.....and apparently I need to be 25.....well im insured at the moment to drive other cars!!!! It makes no sense!

Any ideas???

MartinSullivan
10th August 2005, 07:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by minimadtez
All the policies I have tried have said I cant drive other cars because I am only 21.....and apparently I need to be 25.....well im insured at the moment to drive other cars!!!! It makes no sense!

It said in the paper the other day that insurance companies are really clamping down on young drivers who insure a cheap car and then drive another more valuable one third party on their existing insurance - one way they were looking to cut down on this was by only letting over 25's drive another vehicle on their insurance.

Try Greenlight insurance on 08707 53 54 55, they gave me a fantastic quote for my S. However I dont know what their policy is on young drivers and third party cover for other vehicles.

sleepyrascal
10th August 2005, 07:47 PM
HELP!!! Insurance time again! Ive been getting quotes......some decent ones around £550 which include my wheels etc etc but I cant get insurance to cover me driving other cars!

I REALLY REALLY need this as my old mini is insured in dads name and I drive it 3rd party off my current insurance. Im with Endsleigh at the moment (who insure me through Norwich Union) but they dont like my mods so wont insure me after my current policy expires! (the woman was REALLY nasty on the phone!).

Any ideas???

Terri, I had this problem with Tesco until I read the small print over a couple of times. My policy states that becasue I'm under 25 I am not insured for other cars. However this is (in Tescos case) the legal wording which has to be used to cover them from every angle. It actually means I'm not insured to drive any other car fully comp (or to the degree of cover offered whilst driving my named vehicle) but I am insured 3rd party on anything. That should be the case with any common policy as long as your over 21! Moo.

minimadtez
10th August 2005, 07:51 PM
Afraid not Sleepy....they have stated until I am 25 I am not insured at all to drive any car other than my own :( Ill check with Tesco again

Tez x

sleepyrascal
10th August 2005, 07:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

It said in the paper the other day that insurance companies are really clamping down on young drivers who insure a cheap car and then drive another more valuable one third party on their existing insurance - one way they were looking to cut down on this was by only letting over 25's drive another vehicle on their insurance.

Try Greenlight insurance on 08707 53 54 55, they gave me a fantastic quote for my S. However I dont know what their policy is on young drivers and third party cover for other vehicles.

I cant see why the insurance companies would care. If the insurance is 3rd party, an 18 year old kid could wrap a ferrari round a tree and the insurance company wouldnt have to pay anything. Unless the tree sued obvioulsy but I don't think that happens to often. I would have thought it was preferable , from an insurance company point of view, for a young driver to drive an alternative car to their primary car because that works out cheaper for them! The crash would have probably happened no matter what car the person was driving. Ok so thats not a perfect science, but you catch my drift right?

sleepyrascal
10th August 2005, 07:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

I cant see why the insurance companies would care. If the insurance is 3rd party, an 18 year old kid could wrap a ferrari round a tree and the insurance company wouldnt have to pay anything. Unless the tree sued obvioulsy but I don't think that happens to often. I would have thought it was preferable , from an insurance company point of view, for a young driver to drive an alternative car to their primary car because that works out cheaper for them! The crash would have probably happened no matter what car the person was driving. Ok so thats not a perfect science, but you catch my drift right?

At the end of the day, I'm sure the insurance company would see it as, the less time the fully insured car is on the roadm the better.

sleepyrascal
10th August 2005, 07:59 PM

Afraid not Sleepy....they have stated until I am 25 I am not insured at all to drive any car other than my own :( Ill check with Tesco again

Tez x

mmmmm well maybe Tesco has changed since May when I renewed my policy. I have a handbook with all the info in it. I'll show you when I'm home on ...... ;):D at some point.

minimadtez
10th August 2005, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I understand.....just wish I could make the stupid insurance companies understand!

Endsleigh were on the phone again just now.....the edinburgh branch rather than aberdeen, the guy was TRYING to make up for the evil witch i spoke to yesterday and was appearing helpful...then put me 'on hold' (ie hung up!!!)

MartinSullivan
10th August 2005, 08:00 PM
I agree sleepy - it does seem a bit odd, but so does the fact that a third party insurance policy varies depending on the value of the car you are insuring (and it does cause I have tried it ;)).

minimadtez
10th August 2005, 08:00 PM
WHEN you're home......:disapprove:

SO, when ARE you home? :p

Ok, rather off topic and not helping my insurance dilema! :D

sleepyrascal
10th August 2005, 08:08 PM

I agree sleepy - it does seem a bit odd, but so does the fact that a third party insurance policy varies depending on the value of the car you are insuring (and it does cause I have tried it ;)).

Yeh Martin it sucks. The variable 3rd party cost would be due to the added 'show off' risk associated with a more desirable car or the fact that perhaps a faster car (more expensive car) is more likely to be involved in an accident.

sleepyrascal
10th August 2005, 08:15 PM
Well Terri, I'm back over here on September the 10th but have to be home for a while before that. So i'll be home sometime between now and the 10th of September.

minimadtez
10th August 2005, 08:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

Well Terri, I'm back over here on September the 10th but have to be home for a while before that. So i'll be home sometime between now and the 10th of September.

BACK over there?! HMMMMMM

MartinSullivan
10th August 2005, 08:16 PM
Cant find the exact article that I read the other day - but this one (http://news.ft.com/cms/s/b3627b74-e4bc-11d9-95f3-00000e2511c8.html) discusses a similar subject

sleepyrascal
10th August 2005, 10:52 PM

Cant find the exact article that I read the other day - but this one (http://news.ft.com/cms/s/b3627b74-e4bc-11d9-95f3-00000e2511c8.html) discusses a similar subject

This is the last time I stray from topic...

Ahem... Yellow Plastic Floating Duck?????

Burple
24th August 2005, 11:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

My best quote was with Elephant who were considerably cheaper than everyone else for me.

Heh... just spotted this..

Elephant were my cheapest quote too, until it came to paying. Elephant WON'T take payment in instalments, it has to be a one off payment! :disapprove::(

However, a quick check with Admiral, who are the same company, and I got to pay in instalments for something like £6 extra...
Still far cheaper than the other quotes!
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

minimadtez
25th August 2005, 05:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Elephant were my cheapest quote too, until it came to paying. Elephant WON'T take payment in instalments, it has to be a one off payment! :disapprove::(

However, a quick check with Admiral, who are the same company, and I got to pay in instalments for something like £6 extra...
Still far cheaper than the other quotes!
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Elephant DO take payment in instalments.....you have to phone them to do this with your quote reference number. I had mine all set up till the guy added money to the quote for no reason......saying i had filled in the online form wrong (which i double checked and hadnt!).So i gave the guy cheek and hung up.....

Phoned the AA again (already had a quote from them).
The AA are hopeless unless you go through to their 'underwriters' who are EXTREMELY helpful!!! and if you say "can you make my quote cheaper" they say "ok then"! my other quotes ranged from £600 to £1000 but I am insured as of yesterday with the AA for £480! :D

Julz
25th August 2005, 05:40 PM
Did you try Diamond Tez?? They quoted me £617 for the Evo and I'm £680 for the mini with them! Worth a look just to see even if you have laready taken out insurance, being a year older and all!!;):D

minimadtez
25th August 2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah thanks....tried them
unbeatable quote apparently.....only £900!!!!!

craigcooperSworks
26th August 2005, 06:02 PM
Admiral always seem to have been good for me!

minimadtez
29th August 2005, 04:25 AM
Elephant is admiral....same company.

Brian_Cooper_S
5th December 2005, 02:49 AM
Bell Direct are very good IMO!

X30YES
22nd March 2006, 06:15 AM
Just get older ,it seems to drop a bit after that !!!!

tree73
31st March 2006, 03:52 AM
I'd recommend Elephant too; been driving (outwith provisional) for less than a year (I know just didn't get round to that test thing too quickly) and I'm less than £400 with the trunked lot.

GAJ
31st March 2006, 05:03 AM
I was less than £300 with elephant this year. That's with 2 claims in 3 years, 6 points and non standard filter and exhaust. Happy chappy!

Crombers
31st March 2006, 05:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
2 claims in 3 years, 6 points

:eek: what you been up to :question:

GAJ
31st March 2006, 06:11 AM
About two months after I got the car I was parallel parking when some choob stopped behind me, but on the outside and I backed into him. I hadn't seen him at all!. Then a few months later someone crashed into my car and dented my door when I was at work. Then I got done for driving too fast in town - 42 in a 30. (The road used to be a 40, but I knew it wasn't anymore so no excuses). Then I got done again being a choob on the A92, I was late and 'making time' and was clocked at 95!

I am now Mr speed limit. I cant remember the last time I even hit 35 in a 30. Still struggle to keep to 70 on motorways though sometimes.

X30YES
31st March 2006, 07:40 PM
I made a trunk call and was quoted £400 for the S with body kit , C/pack ,spots etc !! ,think I'm less with morethan , mmmm better tell them about the kit etc which might bring it up a wee bit .

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2006, 02:10 AM
Just insured our wee Mini with First Alternative. They were happy to accept our mods including the increase in BHP, wheels, exhaust etc.

Insured for both of us to drive, full protected no claims, no convictions/point whatsoever etc., etc.

£500.

Was never keen on Adrian Flux. Glad to leave them.

N12 JLK
12th April 2006, 07:41 PM
Beware of Elephant, Admiral and Diamond. They do not cover you for your modifications. They will only pay to put your car pack to the manufacturers specification.

Worth checking out whoever you are insured with:dead:

jdjonathan
2nd May 2006, 04:19 AM
Also try www.moneysupermarket.co.uk its very good :)

X30YES
7th May 2006, 01:06 AM
Ive just had a look at www.confused.com and I'm less for the JCWS than my previous S , even with all the extars :eek:

sedgie
7th May 2006, 02:58 AM
I use Esure....good price £250 fully comp for my cooper s:)

stoney
18th June 2006, 05:41 PM
well i have just done mine and it was elephant that was best for my JCW £850 thats only 1 years nb and i am only 23 !!!!

illegalhunter
19th June 2006, 07:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by s700ony

well i have just done mine and it was elephant that was best for my JCW £850 thats only 1 years nb and i am only 23 !!!!
thats ****in good ive got 7 years ncb 1 conviction non speeding & her indoors £276 from direct line for a new cooper chilli

Goldminione
31st October 2006, 08:21 PM
MY insurance is up we checked around but have decided to switch from CIS Insurance to Direct LINE. I don't use TESCO since they put the phone down on us when i was 18 and just passed my test for my Saxo. ASDA were too expensive. I think my age is a problem. Direct Line said when im 21 it will be a lot cheaper. So sticking in my mums insurance but will earn a no claims as the 2nd driver with Direct LINE.

snooze
6th December 2006, 10:48 PM
just got a mini cooper s, im only 21 and mt insurance is only £649 with direct line! got a good deal i think, also anyone needing insuarnce try bell its also cheap!

Burple
18th December 2006, 08:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK

Beware of Elephant, Admiral and Diamond. They do not cover you for your modifications. They will only pay to put your car pack to the manufacturers specification.

Worth checking out whoever you are insured with:dead:

Gotta disagree with you there..
I was with Admiral for a couple of years..and they were fine with my Mods.. exhaust, induction kit, stereo and tints..

Got to say though.. big recommendations for Greenlight Insurance! :cool:
They've just saved me slightly over £200 this year from last years amount (with all Mods to the car), and got Ellie on my policy for free too (not that I'm telling her yet! ;)). The guy on the phone actually knew his stuff, and told me I'd be much better not taking the National Breakdown cover this year either because of the Mini rescue, without any prompting from me! Good stuff! :cool::cool::D:D

GAJ
18th December 2006, 08:33 PM
Have to agree with that. I got 3 new S-Lites and 3 Goodyear F1s paid for through my last claim with Elephant without any questions or problems.

illegalhunter
16th January 2007, 06:03 AM
anybody got mods on there policy my insurance co says no to the aero kit but ist only £370 for my new s fully comp any ideas cause i want the aero kit but iam not paying oot for the privillage

stoney
29th March 2007, 12:47 AM
ok so looking for ins and got a quote from Admiral for 581.20

that covers my manafold light bar and grafics

and all so christine is on the policy and only been driven about 10 months

thay have been the best so far

as for last year it cost me 850 just for me on a standard car :eek:

niknax
29th March 2007, 05:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by sedgie

must be our old age lesley....i only pay £195 fully comp for my wee cooper ;)

sedgie
29th March 2007, 06:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by niknax

quote:Originally posted by sedgie

must be our old age lesley....i only pay £195 fully comp for my wee cooper ;)

Yes....auld buggers!!:D...but i bet your road tax a lot cheaper than mine:dead:

niknax
29th March 2007, 06:52 AM
quote:
but i bet your road tax a lot cheaper than mine

dont know yet lesley...jc paid for mine :)

Ivano
29th March 2007, 04:46 PM
Adrian Flux are great, especially where modifications are concerned.

stoney
29th March 2007, 05:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Ivano

Adrian Flux are great, especially where modifications are concerned.

not when they want over 2 grand :eek:they arnt !!!!

harryboy22002
29th March 2007, 11:18 PM
hi there
phoned mini insurance ?
60 years old /no claims 2000 miles a year =£416 =what planet do they live on???
performance direct =same cover =£163
know where i;m going.

p.s £mini wanted £300 excess [lol]
harry.

beaniboy67
12th April 2007, 07:25 PM
i used to use Norwich Union for my VW but they quoted me £430 fully comp.

I used tesco - fully comp - courtesy car and the works - £280 and ive got points lol

i thot that was reasonable

Greg83
1st May 2007, 08:51 AM
Tesco!!! Been with them for 3 years now with 11 points and they are way cheaper than anyone else. Other places won't touch me but only £300 with 2 named drivers on ma Coop! Good good!

euan
21st May 2007, 12:27 PM
Anyone got any thoughts on Bell? They seem to be cheaper for me by a mile but don't know much about them.

Next up is Tesco, and then Esure who I've been with for ages, but the Bell quote is 130 quid cheaper so very interested in them!

FergusM
21st May 2007, 12:55 PM
Anyone got any thoughts on Bell? They seem to be cheaper for me by a mile but don't know much about them.

Next up is Tesco, and then Esure who I've been with for ages, but the Bell quote is 130 quid cheaper so very interested in them!

So bell = admiral = elephant.

They were my insurers and after having my last car stolen I've just experienced how they are when you have a claim... so...

-'s
1. Took 4 weeks from when car stolen / recovered to get a cheque. Do everything one thing at a time so slow.
2. They check'd DVLA history etc to ensure you have not informed them of any point etc...take 7-10 working days which delayed things.
3. With elephant give you an "0870" number...expensive to call. Not sure about bell.
4. If you have a "total loss"...ie stolen or a unrepairable crash they cancel the insurance on you and don't refund or swap cover to another car. (I lost 5 months worth of cover)
5. No hire car if car stolen...unless you pay extra extra.
6. Never get to speak to claim handler, just someone at call centre who re-reads details off computer screen.
7. If you have an accident only give you a hire car if you let them pick where to get car fixed. If you insisted on ssay Mini doing it then you will not get a car (again unless you pay extra).

+'s
1. Cheap.

I'm not at all interested in insurring my mini with them.

Hunni1066
25th July 2007, 09:03 PM
I used to be with Tesco until i wrote off my old car, i thought they were really good and helpful. So thumbs up to tesco!

jockserb
17th August 2007, 08:35 PM
Join quidco and go via this site to go to esure,if the policys cheap enough and you decide to take it ,you will recieve £75.00 into your quidco account.........same with house insurance ie lloyds tsb or barclays when policy costs £69,99 ,,,,,you will get £125.00 back..seems unbelievable but this is gen quidco is mentioned in moneysavingexpert.......save loads.......oh money......esure policy for me ,full no claims no points age 45 full comp £100.00 excess...... cost £175.00 ,then quidco gives me £75.00 back.........grand total £100.00 for year ,I have recieved £300.00 from quidco in the last 6 months..................

liviboy
21st August 2007, 04:40 PM
For those of you with insurance through BMW/Mini, do you have to list all the mods/options or can they just pull up the VIN number and get all the info from their computer screens?

Need to shop around for my new R56 insurance and I really can't be bothered running a full list off to every b*gger that I get a quote from.... :eek:

vintageb3
15th September 2007, 10:54 PM
OK...I'm with Adrian Flux...and have just had my premium in for next year.

£400.57...I think its a bit high...

Don't have any points...so I'm going to start looking round...

mark

stoney
8th February 2008, 08:11 PM
ok so i got my renewal in the post and i was happy is with it but still phoned around checked the net and that and no one could get neer to it and one person said to me make shure admiral have the right car for me so i phoned admiral and asked them to tell me what car they had for me so the lass then said
we have a mini cooper s jhon cooper works so i said brill thanx a lot . so i got a phone call to day saying i was looking to change my car i said no it the car i have the now !!!! then the guy told me that it was a standerd cooper :eek: and then said insted of £575 it was going to be about £900 i was like what!!:eek: so he came back and said £695 :eek:

so i have been driving round for the last 10 months with insurance for a cooper not a cooper s works glad i have not needed 2 claim

i used confused last year so it must have been them or admiral that messed up !!!

well at the end of the day i tryed greenlight and they came back of a price of £497.70

with all this along with

The Endorsements that apply are listed below:
-24 hour claims assistance service, including a courtesy car provision
-£100,000 legal expenses/solicitors' fee cover (solicitor must be pre-approved)
1. Modification friendly insurer (like for like cover on modified parts)

2. Optional Track day cover (per event basis, please contact us for full details)

3. Guaranteed 14 day hire car in event of Theft/Total loss (write off)

4. Courtesy Car provided by Approved repairer for duration of repairs

5. £500 Stereo cover

6. Unlimited windscreen cover (£60 excess) - approved repairer must be used

7. Free foreign travel (green cards) for up to 90 days per annum

8. Boomerang Tag Key loss protection (£1500 towards replacement locks)

so looks like i will be with them next year :D

Craig
8th February 2008, 08:20 PM
this happened to me with Tesco... I called and insured my Cooper S with them, picked the car up, then got the Cert of Ins a few days later and it turns out the girl on put me down for a cooper and I thought I had been given a great price.

I went into a 3 month argument regarding the price etc and it took them this long to listen to the conversation to ensure I wasn't lying... :(

At the end of the day, they kept my price as it was, but they lost approx £300 insurance as the girl didn't listen properly. A cautionary tale

sedgie
8th February 2008, 08:22 PM
Lol i use sheilas wheels...£220:D

stoney
8th February 2008, 08:35 PM
this happened to me with Tesco... I called and insured my Cooper S with them, picked the car up, then got the Cert of Ins a few days later and it turns out the girl on put me down for a cooper and I thought I had been given a great price.

I went into a 3 month argument regarding the price etc and it took them this long to listen to the conversation to ensure I wasn't lying... :(

At the end of the day, they kept my price as it was, but they lost approx £300 insurance as the girl didn't listen properly. A cautionary tale

thats it i never even checked it came in and i put it away :eek: at least they have the right car now tho

you are about 2x my age :p and i have 3 points :eek:

sedgie
8th February 2008, 08:37 PM
you are about 2x my age :p and i have 3 points

Ho!!! you cheeky wee fud!....i no that auld!:mad:

~mutters~ will kick yer heid in nxt time i see!:p

Scottie
8th February 2008, 08:47 PM

snap.
:cool:

Sheilz
14th February 2008, 04:28 PM
That just cracks me up. I tried for a quote with them, thought the name would at least be worth a quid or two back :rolleyes: Direct Line were way cheaper and I know I'm twice your age and had a clean license too. I think it was the spots they didnt like. Obviously they prefer plooks to spots;):D:D:D

sedgie
14th February 2008, 05:34 PM
That just cracks me up. I tried for a quote with them, thought the name would at least be worth a quid or two back :rolleyes: Direct Line were way cheaper and I know I'm twice your age and had a clean license too. I think it was the spots they didnt like. Obviously they prefer plooks to spots;):D:D:D

LOLOL thanks for the i'm twice yer age!!:D :D ...i take it your in yer 80's then!!!:p & i have four spots on my mini;) :p

Sheilz
14th February 2008, 07:23 PM
got (wo)man flu today so eighty would be just about right;):D:D:D

Diamond also gave me a high quote. Haven't gotten round to trying Saga yet though:eek: despite the bambinos trying to persuade me to go on one of their hols so that I can get extra discount on insurance. Kids! Such a shame you can't eat them;):D:D

euan
12th March 2008, 09:46 AM
What's the view on Diamond as an insurer? My other half has a great quote from them but want to make sure they actually backup the quote with good service.

Stewart
19th July 2008, 04:57 PM
Looking to buy a 07 cooper here and took a look at the cost.

35 with full no claims bonus on a cooper valued at 15K was £300 does this sound about right. I was paying £220 for my only Honda fully comp…..

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2008, 06:04 PM
Looking to buy a 07 cooper here and took a look at the cost.

35 with full no claims bonus on a cooper valued at 15K was £300 does this sound about right. I was paying £220 for my only Honda fully comp…..

Thats probably not far wrong Stewart. Maybe a tad high as it's only a Cooper, not an S, but at the same time.... your Glasgow postode won't help.

A.

Craig
19th July 2008, 07:24 PM
Stewart, I am 35 and my ins is £350 for my Cooper so it's about right. ;)

I should say that I have quite a few mods on my car and they are all noted on my ins and covered so that's why it is a bit more than normal.

Stewart
20th July 2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks,
I might get it a bit lower as they normally are great over the phone. Thing is the Car is specked like this, I bit unusual but it works for me.

16" Bridge Spoke Alloys

Chrome-Line Interior

Darkened Rear Glass

Interior Trim Fluid Silver

Metallic paint

PEPPER Pack

Rear Spoiler

Roof&Mirror Caps In Black

Sport Button

Sport Leather Steer Wheel

Sports Seats

White Indicator Lenses

Would you say anything out of the Pepper Pack is a Mod like the spoiler or just an extra on the original build that would be covered.?

Stewart
25th June 2009, 10:40 AM
Insurance time again……….still not received my renewal quote from my current which is E-Sure………..and its up on the 30th.

Anyone been shopping and found a good comparison company to get a quote off?

Gismo
25th June 2009, 11:15 AM
Insurance time again……….still not received my renewal quote from my current which is E-Sure………..and its up on the 30th.

Anyone been shopping and found a good comparison company to get a quote off? Try our sponsor, lots of folks have gotten a good deal, but, remember to quote the NMS scheme and number when you call, i'll go get it.........

STEP 1
Have your best quote or renewal premium to hand

STEP 2
Give us a call FREE on 0800 917 2274
quoting ref ‘880 – New Mini Scotland’

STEP 3
Tell us your best quote and we’ll use it to negotiate a
better rate on your behalf

Stewart
25th June 2009, 01:53 PM
Cheers for the info...:thumbs up:

Ally S
10th July 2009, 10:21 PM
I have a Cooper with the Chili pack as an optional extra. Now does that make mine a Cooper Chili or do I select Chili pack as a modification?

GCA3N
10th July 2009, 10:30 PM
I have a Cooper with the Chili pack as an optional extra. Now does that make mine a Cooper Chili or do I select Chili pack as a modification?

my insurance calls mini a cooper s chilli, it should be like that on the v5

Ally S
10th July 2009, 10:37 PM
ah right, think mine just says cooper

Gismo
10th July 2009, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty sure on the directline site the chilli pack is added from a drop down menu, not sure if it increases the premium though

Ally S
13th July 2009, 01:02 PM
I'm pretty sure on the directline site the chilli pack is added from a drop down menu, not sure if it increases the premium though

Yeah, that's what was confusing me. On admiral i can choose cooper chilli from the dropdown or select cooper and add the chilli pack as a modification. I checked again and it doesn't actually change the price whichever way i do it.

Ally S
6th August 2009, 11:33 PM
got another query :smilewinkgrin:

do you guys tell your insurance about all the optional extras, like bullet wheels, white roof and mirrors etc, chilli pack? i said about chilli pack as it appears in the modification section of elephant but the wheels are not really a modification :confused:

dezzyS
7th August 2009, 08:57 AM
Yeah, been thinking the same Ally, so would like to know what people do. I've got a pretty good quote from Bell and have selected Mini Cooper "Chilli" from their drop-down list. I've got a couple of extra things on the car like anthracite roof lining and 17" flame spoke alloys, but they are not really "modifications" - they are simply additional factory-built options.

My Lotus is currently insured with Chris Knott, but they couldn't give me a good quote for the new Mini, even with the NMS discount. Would have liked to stay with them, but Bell is a good bit cheaper.

Might call Bell today and ask about the "modifications". Will let you know what they say Ally.

dezzyS
7th August 2009, 11:16 AM
Just off the phone to Bell. They do not consider the Chilli pack a modification. They also do not consider the white indicator lenses, roof lining, or the 17inch flame spoke allows a mod either. So, no need to declare anything additional on my policy. Always worth checking with your own insurer though I guess.

D

Ally S
8th August 2009, 01:36 PM
Cool thats handy to know. I phoned Elephant about changing off run flat tyres a while back and the advisor kept thinking I was wanting to add bigger wheels! Suppose it depends who you get on the phone

L13ARG
9th August 2009, 12:19 PM
im with esure cheapest i could find

Gismo
9th August 2009, 01:24 PM
The real test of "good" insurance is when you actually need to use it ;)

Forbes
9th August 2009, 02:38 PM
Same with Quinn no exterior modifications need to be declared whether OEM or not.

Stewart
12th August 2009, 03:01 PM
im with esure cheapest i could find
Same, did all the online sites when my renewal came up there and they were over £150 cheaper then some on the sites so just let it renew itself....

I would change my wheels to something like Scotties but don’t know if the insurance would go through the roof. Then think I like my 16” and go off the idea again. They pace alloys look smart as well, and a new one to me.

I’ll see what I do next year.

Stewart
8th July 2011, 01:14 AM
Well got round to opening the dreaded insurance renewal expecting a total piss take and was surprised even pleased if you can be about such a thing:rolleyes:. I’ve not dug out last years paper work but I recon its £10 more….I was reading the forums with people having there insurance double and feared the worst. I’m even going to phone E-sure up as its got me down as 10-11K mileage and over the cars ownership its work out more like 7.5K over the three years.

Not bad considering I thought they would have taken more with a new screen claim last year. Even checked and the Works is around £410……:hand:

euan
29th May 2012, 12:48 PM
People might find this interesting/useful - comparison site to show what your job really means to your policy costs.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/#sectors

I'm off to change my job to one more appropriate and save myself a massive 5 quid a year...