PDA

View Full Version : STEERING WHEEL OFF CENTRE

ny152
17th April 2005, 04:40 AM
Recently had a worn front bearing replaced on the car and a KDS done.

Problem now is that the steering wheel is off centre when driving in a straight line (Turned slightly to the left) and there is a slight pull to the left when you let go of the wheel.

Also, when I take out the key and lock the steering the wheel is also slightly off to the left.

Doesn't sound like much, but it really does seem to make a difference to the steering and is spoiling the car for me :(.

Called my local service dept but they started going on about road cambers, which I know its not, as the MINI was fine before having the warranty work done.

Now got it booked in for Tuesday to see what they can do, but has anyone else had the same thing happen?

Thanks,
GM.

duncan
17th April 2005, 06:59 AM
Yes, i had the Off Centre Steering Wheel on my One, and complained about it.

I'm not the only one thats had this either. I'm sure i've read of others with it.
Can't comment about the pull though.

ny152
17th April 2005, 07:37 AM
Did they get the wheel straight again Duncan?

duncan
17th April 2005, 08:34 AM
Yes, yes they did.

Not sure what they did to correct it, whether it was moving the wheel, or adjusting the steering.

3GGG
17th April 2005, 04:48 PM
Mine is going in for steering wheel straightening as it has been slightly off centre since the steering column was replaced recently. I agree it is one of those annoying things that gets to you every time you drive the car.

sleepyrascal
17th April 2005, 08:06 PM
I put my car to JCs for a new power steering part to be fitted. Car came back with slightly off centre steering positon. They sorted it no questions asked and offered some laim excuse about a trainee forgetting to do it.

If the wheel is off set by even just a mm, the difference is SO noticable!!!!

Wul
18th April 2005, 03:44 PM
This is an old favourtie - my coop had this a couple of times during the faulty steering bush debacle - the sttering wheel sits on a spline and they need to take it off and re-set it. As for the pull - sounds like they never sorted the tracking right after the repair.

KenL
19th April 2005, 04:35 PM
Yes, my ONE had this both on delivery and then after the steering column was replaced.

I was a bit miffed that when working on the steering system they did not bother to check that they had put it on straight and or notice that they had scratched the silver plastic on the wheel in 2 places:blackeye:

So it had to go in AGAIN to get these things sorted:disapprove: