PDA

View Full Version : Who should you vote for?

GAJ
15th April 2005, 10:06 PM
Not sure who you should vote for in the imminent general election? http://www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com/wsyvfbutton.jpg (http://www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com/)

3GGG
15th April 2005, 10:59 PM
Excellent GAJ - It predicted my vote correctly - (I'm not saying)

duncan
15th April 2005, 11:04 PM
I'll guess it wasnt SNP then? :p

Scottie
15th April 2005, 11:23 PM
came up Lib Dem for me but I don't mind telling you I'm voting Tory to get rid of Tony.:evil:

never voted before so this will be a first:I

3GGG
15th April 2005, 11:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

I'll guess it wasnt SNP then? :p

That's right - they didn't seem to feature for some reason:)

duncan
15th April 2005, 11:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
That's right - they didn't seem to feature for some reason:)

:)

Smurf
15th April 2005, 11:27 PM
Wow!
Very interesting, came up with 2 parties I wouldn't normally consider.... I am now.
The one I voted for last time came out with a HUGE minus score!
:D

duncan
15th April 2005, 11:32 PM
I wish ballot papers had "None of the Above"

I'd vote for them!

phantom
16th April 2005, 04:11 AM
What about the Mini Independant Party! :clown:

minidriver#1
16th April 2005, 10:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

I wish ballot papers had "None of the Above"

I'd vote for them!

Lets hope apathy doesnt reign supreme, we might end up with the Tories again... 8)

I urge everyone to go out and read the god damn manifestos before making up your minds.

duncan
16th April 2005, 07:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

Lets hope apathy doesnt reign supreme, we might end up with the Tories again... 8)

Already got them KJ, they just call themselves Labour now :p

<Starting Ben Elton Mode>
Woah, little bit of politics
<Ending Ben Elton Mode>

Steve74
16th April 2005, 07:05 PM
Told me I should vote Green!! What a croc of $hit!

minidriver#1
16th April 2005, 11:39 PM
^^ hippeh!

Labour have stolen some of the Tories policies but i wouldnt call em right wing. lol. Besides, PM Blair isnt an immigrant who wants to lower immigration... *sigh*

Scottie
17th April 2005, 04:21 AM

^^ hippeh!

Labour have stolen some of the Tories policies but i wouldnt call em right wing. lol. Besides, PM Blair isnt an immigrant who wants to lower immigration... *sigh*

I'm going to vote Tory.

I voted for good old Maggie every time :D :D

minidriver#1
17th April 2005, 09:57 AM
^^ i guess you dont come from a mining family then ;)

Scottie
18th April 2005, 03:29 AM

^^ i guess you dont come from a mining family then ;)

afraid not

but don't worry only kidding.:D;)

not voting tory not voting anything

minidriver#1
18th April 2005, 03:39 AM
you should vote. or if you want to make a statement, spoil your paper, i know that in local elections each candidate is shown a spoilt paper to see if they have a claim on it ;)

duncan
18th April 2005, 03:55 AM
I'm with you on that KJ.

Working people fought to get the vote, and I feel its your duty to use it, apathy solves nothing.

Plus, you can't moan at the winners if you didn't go out and vote!

Scottie
18th April 2005, 03:59 AM

you should vote. or if you want to make a statement, spoil your paper, i know that in local elections each candidate is shown a spoilt paper to see if they have a claim on it ;)

I would if I could but. I need to vote down at Larbert that is where I'm registered but will be working @ Inverness to late now to organise a postal vote so hence the reason why i'm not voting

KenL
19th April 2005, 11:57 PM
Lib Dem for me as usual.

I think if one day people get over the "Lib Dem is a wasted vote" thing they could get in or at least get a lot closer.

Labour will win again I'm sure, notice how Blair has been clever and announced this will be his last. So people know they are not really voting for him as he will chuck it after a couple of years. He's damaged goods now of course after the Iraq cock-ups.

I'll never vote Tory, nae chance.

euan
20th April 2005, 12:07 AM
Thing is, if enough people take the view that Blair is damaged goods, that Howard has stuffed his parties chance (and if they don't get in, can you see him staying on for another - not likely) and vote Lib Dem, they may actually get in.

I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't vote for anyone, I'm undecided as yet, but I know it won't be for dracula.

Steve74
20th April 2005, 05:53 PM
Many people died in the two wars to allow us to vote - even if it's a difficult decision a vote shouldn't be wasted. That's not meant to sound patronising but I think it's important we remember that.

So what if the party wont get total power, they still may get a seat. One of my votes two elections back was for the local Green MP in Edinburgh and I couldnt believe it when they got in. Saying that it's a difficult choice as they all seem like a bunch of to$$ers this time!

GAJ
20th April 2005, 06:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steve74

Many people died in the two wars to allow us to vote - even if it's a difficult decision a vote shouldn't be wasted. That's not meant to sound patronising but I think it's important we remember that.

So what if the party wont get total power, they still may get a seat. One of my votes two elections back was for the local Green MP in Edinburgh and I couldnt believe it when they got in. Saying that it's a difficult choice as they all seem like a bunch of to$$ers this time!

There are no Green MPs in Britain, not yet anyway. They do have 7 MSPs just now though.
WW 1 was fought to avenge the assasination of Franz Ferdinand (not the band!) and WW 2 started when Britain and France declared war on Germany after they invaded Poland; they were not fought to allow us to vote, it is a wee bit patronising to suggest otherwise. Men in Britain had already had a vote for donkeys although it was a wee bit tougher for the ladies who had to chuck themselves in front of horses and stuff and didn't secure full voting rights till 1928.
It's just as important in a democracy that individuals have the right to not vote if they feel that is what they want to do.

minidriver#1
20th April 2005, 08:30 PM
If Germany had won, do you think we'd be allowed the freedom that we have now though, including the freedom to vote? The wars were fought to ensure freedom, regardless over what prompted them to begin in the first place.

GAJ
20th April 2005, 08:38 PM
I was trying to explain that things were a wee bit more complicated than 'two wars were fought to ensure that Brits could vote'. I appear to have failed.

euan
20th April 2005, 11:14 PM
As an aside, when I worked in the Scottish Parliament for a bit the Greens had a tiny office but were the nicest people I had to deal with. Mind you, that was before they all moved to "pod world".

Same could could be said for the SNP. I think they were just pleased when someone came into see them though....

minidriver#1
21st April 2005, 01:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I was trying to explain that things were a wee bit more complicated than 'two wars were fought to ensure that Brits could vote'. I appear to have failed.

failure is not an option soldier!

Wul
21st April 2005, 01:17 AM
As an aside - watch your TV at 7 tonight - BBC1 and see if Phony Blair gets as much of a grilling from Paxoman as the milky bar kid did on Monday :p

minidriver#1
21st April 2005, 02:43 AM
ooooh Paxman v Blair... but lets hope Paxman comes out with something a bit more original than his usual diatribes.

Steve74
26th April 2005, 07:02 PM

Yup as you dont seem to understand the importance of our grandparents or great grandparents fighting for important causes to secure our freedoms.

It was a Green MSP, I should have made that clear.

Gismo
26th April 2005, 08:51 PM
Hmm, turns out i should be voting green :eek:
Sad thing about politics, in my view, is, why can't any of the potential candidates agree on any issues relating to the guy in the street, instead they waste all their efforts disagreeing and contradicting the opposition
Surely in this day and age there must be a common remedy as opposed to a verbal war

As for the have a vote must vote, i'm afraid i'm in the won't vote category
Not for any political standpoint.
If a classroom of 7 year olds behaved the way all the MP's jeered and bayed and waved their little pieces of paper in the commons then they'd have to stand in the corner facing the wall

William Wallace had the right idea (in the film anyway) when he was asked to attend a meeting he simply walked out due to the in house bickering and back stabbing, seems nothing has changed in the 21st century

minidriver#1
26th April 2005, 09:06 PM
^^ then you have no right to pass judgement. If you dont vote then you have no right to pass an opinion on the subject. Just my thought and i feel strongly about it.

Its funny actually, i come from a family that migrated here from India, yet in every election since voting age i have voted, as have my parents and grandparents, yet i see people who are native to this country pass up their opportunity as if to make some sort of protest... no one will hear if you dont vote. I dont care if they squabble amongst themselves, i care about what happens to me, and the guy in the street as you put it, and the only way its going to happen is to use your vote. By placing my vote i have the opportunity to make sure the Conservatives do not make any gains in parliament.

Scottie
26th April 2005, 09:21 PM
Na Tony out he is a cheating porky teller we the people of Britain need to send a message that we will not be lied to in such important matters.

Being a wife of a veteran of the first Gulf War our feelings run high that they should have never sent our troops back in. This was a illegal war but Tony changes the goal posts to suit him and his pal George.

Notice the botch over our current day troops not being able to vote wonder why most if not all would vote agains't the chap.:evil:

Gismo
26th April 2005, 09:22 PM
^^ then you have no right to pass judgement. If you dont vote then you have no right to pass an opinion on the subject. Just my thought and i feel strongly about it.
Absolute rubbish, how can you say that if i don't vote i can't have an opinion
You don't drive many types of cars but you have an opinion on them ;)

I already said i don't have any political reasons for not voting, that's my choice, but, in the cold light of day no one gets my vote which pleases me more than if i did vote

minidriver#1
26th April 2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, because cars determine the political standing of the country... *sigh* hardly the same level or relevance / importance.

Why not spoil your paper? make some sort of effort? even drive to your polling station in your Subaru and spoil your paper.

actually here, this is an american site for american youth on the benifits of voting... you should read this...

http://www.youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1148 its mostly relevant here too.

Steve74
26th April 2005, 11:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Na Tony out he is a cheating porky teller we the people of Britain need to send a message that we will not be lied to in such important matters.

Being a wife of a veteran of the first Gulf War our feelings run high that they should have never sent our troops back in. This was a illegal war but Tony changes the goal posts to suit him and his pal George.

Notice the botch over our current day troops not being able to vote wonder why most if not all would vote agains't the chap.:evil:

I agree with you completely!

KJ - you're absolutely right in my opinion. I feel strongly that you should vote too. Apathy is too prevalent in this country.

Gismo
26th April 2005, 11:29 PM
even drive to your polling station in your Subaru and spoil your paper.
But my BMW gives me much more importance and a much higher profile in society

Supposing i did vote, there would be many people to tell me i voted wrongly, so, as a choice i do not vote, why can't you see that my non vote is a vote, for me

minidriver#1
26th April 2005, 11:54 PM
dont tell people who you voted for... it really is that simple. Are you really telling me that there isnt a party that wouldnt get your vote? Even the monsterravingloonyparty are standing this year.

http://www.omrlp.com/

they'd get my vote if i didnt vote who i want to vote for. lol

Burple
27th April 2005, 12:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Hmm, turns out i should be voting green :eek:
Sad thing about politics, in my view, is, why can't any of the potential candidates agree on any issues relating to the guy in the street, instead they waste all their efforts disagreeing and contradicting the opposition
Surely in this day and age there must be a common remedy as opposed to a verbal war
As for the have a vote must vote, i'm afraid i'm in the won't vote category
Not for any political standpoint.
If a classroom of 7 year olds behaved the way all the MP's jeered and bayed and waved their little pieces of paper in the commons then they'd have to stand in the corner facing the wall
William Wallace had the right idea (in the film anyway) when he was asked to attend a meeting he simply walked out due to the in house bickering and back stabbing, seems nothing has changed in the 21st century

I'm afraid I have to totally agree Alan!! :p;);):D:D:D
I'll quite happily bare my soul and vote truthfully and with glee the minute *ONE* single politician in this country will answer a straight question, not hide his/her agenda, and tell the honest truth about *ANYTHING* without resorting to childish "well *HE* eats poo!" type put-downs of opponents. Are we (as a country) not meant to be one of the leaders of the free world? and our leading 'politicians' feel the need to resort to ad campaigns of all things to slag off the opposition?
You really have to question their motives for 'power'... it's not for the good of the people at all....is it?
Just a theory, but how many popular, attractive politicians are there in this country? (in terms of their general existence in the real world, not political standing amongst their peers)
I think you might find higher than average numbers of emotionally starved, introverted, even bullied individuals...)

So.. umm... yeah. I doubt I'll be voting. One liar is as bad as another..

Ooh.. ain't I ranty today ;):D

<sigh> politics and religion huh?? ;););););)

minidriver#1
27th April 2005, 12:25 AM
Anarchist.

Burple
27th April 2005, 12:27 AM

Anarchist.

Hey!! No fair!! I'm not even religious...

Oh... wait...

;):p:D

minidriver#1
27th April 2005, 12:27 AM
sorry, antichrist

Burple
27th April 2005, 12:29 AM

sorry, antichrist

My Mummy says it makes me special..

... but she probably only says that to stop me from doing that thing with the dead chickens and candles in the shed...:evil:

Gismo
27th April 2005, 02:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
I'm afraid I have to totally agree Alan!! :p;);):D:D:D
So.. umm... yeah. I doubt I'll be voting. One liar is as bad as another..
<sigh> politics and religion huh?? ;););););)
United we stand ;) now if they put a no vote box on the ballot paper then I would vote :D

Heather
27th April 2005, 04:37 AM
Yup as you dont seem to understand the importance of our grandparents or great grandparents fighting for important causes to secure our freedoms.

I don’t think you should presume that GAJ's grandparents, or anyone else’s for that matter, were indigenous to this country. They may have been German.

minidriver#1
27th April 2005, 06:22 AM
Irrelevant. What you are saying is that if his grandparents were German, that he shouldnt be afforded the same freedoms as us? Or at least question it.

My ex girlfriends grandfather fought as regular German infantry during WW2, and he used to use his vote.

Heather
27th April 2005, 06:42 AM
No, what I am saying is lets be a bit more sensitive to peoples origins. I think that is highly relevent and my comment was not with exclusive reference to the topic.

J Cee
27th April 2005, 07:12 AM
Well folks I have just read all your comments on why you should or should not vote and Im sorry to say that I have to side with Bonnie Scotland.
I have voted for labour in the last 5 general elections but this time I have lost all faith in any party, all labour have done in the last 8 years have lied it's really funny how joe public forget's about all the promises and lies here's just a few thing's to reminisce about.

The botch up with foot and mouth,

Weapons of mass destuction in Iraq,

How much was the new scottish parliment building? £463.000.000 cheap at half the price,

How much was the millennium dome and who owns it now,

£13.000.000 raised in speeding fines since 1992 half of that in the last 3 years.

I have only one thing to say WHO ARE THE SUCKERS?:question::question::(:(:mad:

minidriver#1
27th April 2005, 09:41 AM
its amazing how people only remember the bad things...

under labour, education spending rose 4.4% on average since 1997. in the 18 years before that it only increase 1.4%
the average cost of real resources for the average student rose more than double since 1997 to £2500
Unemployment is at its lowest for years
the removal of Saddam and his regime
the removal of the Taliban and the creation of democracy in Afghanistan
the amazing work done in the Balkans
free nursing care for old people
seizing assets from drug dealers
Increased investment in public services. An extra £4billion will be spent on Scottish public services by 2006.
Improved student support
Doubled child care funding
Helped 600,000 children from poverty
Increased child benefit by 50% since 1997
Introduced the minimum wage
Toughened up laws on domestic violence
The peace process in NI

i could keep going on. Also i'm not here to promote the labour party, but at the same time i wont let people skip both sides of the argument. Do yourselves a favour and take some time to actually do a little research on the subject, further your own knowledge and you'll feel better about it ;)

also my penny's worth on the Scottish Parliament... waste of time.

also i dont quite understand the complaints against the money raised from speeding fines... dont speed. :D its not that hard is it? I've been caught speeding once in the 6 years i've been driving and i took it because i was in the wrong... i didnt try and blame it on the government.

some light reading also....
http://phil-waterfield.members.beeb.net/bc-web/a30%20Achievements.doc

i should be sleeping. lol.

Willie M
27th April 2005, 04:19 PM
I love this thread :D:D:D

Scottie
27th April 2005, 05:02 PM
KJ.

You are just like Tony " a big long winded explanation as to why he done something"

instead of the truth.

I could break down your statement and come right back with a counter argument but I cannae be bothered:D

Now dinae go off on one I love reading your posts they always give me a good laugh.;)

Steve74
27th April 2005, 05:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Heather

I don’t think you should presume that GAJ's grandparents, or anyone else’s for that matter, were indigenous to this country. They may have been German.

All the more reason to use your vote if your family has a history of living in a country where peoples freedoms were taken away from them.

minidriver#1
27th April 2005, 05:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

KJ.

You are just like Tony " a big long winded explanation as to why he done something"

instead of the truth.

I could break down your statement and come right back with a counter argument but I cannae be bothered:D

Now dinae go off on one I love reading your posts they always give me a good laugh.;)

There is no lies in what i have said in my last post.
Just wait till Cullen!:blackeye: :kiss:

GAJ
27th April 2005, 06:00 PM
:question:I'm sure that Germany will be interested to find out that their freedoms have been taken away from them! When did that happen!:p
I don't think that things are quite as simple as you. I didn't say that people shouldn't vote - I have always voted although I have had doubts over the efficiency of parliamentary politics too. (I was young and hot headed, revolutionary socialism!! - too many SWP meetings and Red Wedge gigs! Not my fault, I'm one of Thatcher's children!) What my earlier point was is that people cannot and should not be forced to vote; it defeats the point. Look at any banana republic where El Presidente gets 99% of the votes to see what can happen if this is taken to an extreme. I think that individuals should make an informed choice and vote for the party whose policies are nearest to their views, but it is their right to abstain if they wish.
I don't think that all politicians are the same and I don't think they are all in it for their own end, nor that they were all bullied as children, although some probably deserved to be. I also don't think that they are all liars but the way the media portrays things means that often, very complicated issues have to be reduced to a soundbite which can be endlessly repeated on the TV and the tabloids - hence all the spin and gloss. Most people just dont have the time or the interest to look into all the issues in depth. Politians have to play this game or they are treated like jokes, look at Michael Foot or John Prescott for two examples of MPs who in different ways didn't play to the stereotype and see how they are regarded. I'm glad this thread has attracted such interest, you must all be more interested in politics than you think!;)

Steve74
27th April 2005, 06:22 PM

:question:I'm sure that Germany will be interested to find out that their freedoms have been taken away from them! When did that happen!:p

Don't get me started.

I was referring to the time when many of Germay's citizens freedoms were taken away. Not to mention those of Polish and French citizens.

It's important to remember what happened http://www.holocaustsurvivors.org/

I don't think this is something to be taken lightly.

In my opinion a vote should not be wasted.

Scottie
27th April 2005, 06:36 PM

Don't get me started.

I was referring to the time when many of Germay's citizens freedoms were taken away. Not to mention those of Polish and French citizens.

the holocaust was terrible and Germany as a country are ashamed of this part in history.

but wasn't the holocaust more to do with religion rather than politics didn't Hitler want a arian race blue eyed blond haired etc and had to get rid of all the jews etc who he say as a dirty race.

It was only after the likes of late Pope John Paul brought the parties together to bring down the berlin wall etc etc.

GAJ
27th April 2005, 06:36 PM

Don't get me started.

This thread is about who you should vote for in the 2005 British General Election! Why do you keep harping on about a war that ended 60 years ago. Is it a big isue in this election?

Burple
27th April 2005, 06:47 PM
quote:
the holocaust was terrible and Germany as a country are ashamed of this part in history.
but wasn't the holocaust more to do with religion rather than politics didn't Hitler want a arian race blue eyed blond haired etc and had to get rid of all the jews etc who he say as a dirty race.
It was only after the likes of late Pope John Paul brought the parties together to bring down the berlin wall etc etc.

<sigh>.. Politics and Religion huh??? ;););)

I'm loving reading this thread.. :D

And for once, nobody's chucked the dollies out the pram yet!!
Must be a new record!

:D:D:D

GAJ
27th April 2005, 06:51 PM
I was going to quote Scott Capurro's 'Holocaust schmolocaust, enough already' line but not sure if NMS is ready for cynical satire yet!:blackeye:

Just as well I didn't isn't it!;)

Duncan Stewart
27th April 2005, 07:34 PM
Politics!! AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!! :p:p

Steve74
27th April 2005, 07:57 PM
Still dont know who to vote for ;)

Burple
27th April 2005, 07:58 PM

I was going to quote Scott Capurro's 'Holocaust schmolocaust, enough already' line but not sure if NMS is ready for cynical satire yet!:blackeye:

Just as well I didn't isn't it!;)

Oooohhh... Cynicism and satire in one line??
<sharp intake of breath>.....
Ooooooooh.... suits you sir!!

Ah why not... maybe everyone should take a quick crash course in 'Bill Hicks' first tho :D:D;);););)

Gismo
27th April 2005, 08:21 PM
Still dont know who to vote for ;)

Then don't vote for anyone ;) just like me, just cause you can vote shouldn't mean you have to, as i said before, no party out there meets my criteria, so, rather than just chuck in a vote to say i did it, i won't :p

Kosta
28th April 2005, 07:17 AM
i dont care what it said... im still voting conservative, Tony Blair is a prick :D

minidriver#1
28th April 2005, 07:26 AM
yeah, lets vote for the dude that says he'll clean up the NHS, the same one that went on a tour around a hospital meeting patients without washing his hands... yeah, that sounds like a great idea ;) cos he like, thinks so much about things like that, that he actually like forgets to practice it himself... oh and wait, the immigrants son that wants to drastically reduce immigration, oh and the same dude who calls his opposition liars while claiming to focus on the issue at hand, not smearing his opponents.

Evidently the better man. ;)

But at least you are using your vote. Respect to you sir.

The Dogfather
28th April 2005, 04:53 PM
There's only party I can vote for Labour - The other two have said they'll get rid of DTI which means I'll be out of a job.

GAJ
28th April 2005, 05:10 PM
Just to open another can of worms, you have to remember that unless you live in a marginal seat (very, very few in Scotland) your vote won't make any difference to the result anyway! It's only a few thousand people in marginal constituencies who decide the result.

Wul
28th April 2005, 05:16 PM
Showing my total lack of knowledge in this issue but doesn't your vote also go some way to deciding your local MP and as such how your council money is spent in your area - or am I getting confuzzled with local elections? 8)

Scottie
28th April 2005, 05:17 PM

yeah, lets vote for the dude that says he'll clean up the NHS, the same one that went on a tour around a hospital meeting patients without washing his hands... yeah, that sounds like a great idea ;) cos he like, thinks so much about things like that, that he actually like forgets to practice it himself... oh and wait, the immigrants son that wants to drastically reduce immigration, oh and the same dude who calls his opposition liars while claiming to focus on the issue at hand, not smearing his opponents.

Evidently the better man. ;)

But at least you are using your vote. Respect to you sir.

KJ,

I was wondering what is your views on the war in Iraq Was it legal and do you think Tony lied.

Seven years Labour has had to sort out the CSA, NHS, SCHOOLS, U turn on the students fee's CRIME,PUBLIC SERVICES to name but a few.

They have managed to get rid of the head of the BBC, to make a man take his own life, scrap Scottish regiments close the Rover Factory (lack of interest on their part) stealth tax us, spin and more spin.

Actualy if you read his manifesto from the previous 2 elections (search Google) and you'll get it. He has failed to deliver on most of his parties pledges.

Sorry but he is a plonker. Mind you they all are:D:evil::p

Scottie
28th April 2005, 05:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Showing my total lack of knowledge in this issue but doesn't your vote also go some way to deciding your local MP and as such how your council money is spent in your area - or am I getting confuzzled with local elections? 8)

don't they hold local council elections and aren't most of the local councils run by conservatives.;):p

GAJ
28th April 2005, 05:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

You are confusing the general election with the local authority elections. The last local authority elections were held on the same day as the elections for the Scottish Parliament in 2003 which probably added to confusion.
The Tories did better than expected last time and hold power in 5 authorities but still only won a quarter as many wards as Labour.

Wul
28th April 2005, 06:39 PM
OK so continuing my lack of knowledge - why do contituencies and "seats" mean anything to a general election then - when i got to fill in my ballot paper Tony, Michael and Charles names won't be on the list but my local reps will! Surely then they should just put the party leaders names on the ballot.

Or do the constituency votes mean something else that i'm missing?:question:

GAJ
28th April 2005, 06:53 PM
The candidates for your constituency are the names you will see on the ballot paper, these are who you are voting for. Most of these people will represent a political party, although some may be independents (representing no party). The person who gets the most votes in your constituency wins. The party who's candidates win the most constituencies form the government. Simple!

duncan
28th April 2005, 07:13 PM

Just to open another can of worms, you have to remember that unless you live in a marginal seat (very, very few in Scotland) your vote won't make any difference to the result anyway! It's only a few thousand people in marginal constituencies who decide the result.

Remember however, most seats have had boundaries changed since 2001, and that give a lot of predictions, rather than basing it on previous election results.

Dundee East was a Marginal based on 2001, less than 500 votes ISTR between the SNP and Labour.
Now its had the boundaries changed, with more traditional SNP Areas added than traditional Labour, its going to be an interesting one.

Dundee West on the other hand, was close in 2001, and the MP is standing down (not before time:eek:) However, the addition of more traditional Labour areas should make this more of a sure thing for Labour.

Throw in the weather on voting day, and it'll make it very interesting throughout the country.

Wul
28th April 2005, 07:54 PM
So hypothetically speaking then - A Labour vote in a VERY Strong (ie guaranteed) Tory Constituency means nothing to the general election then (assuming all the tories vote in that area). This to me seems pretty mad - voting by postcode basically!!

GAJ
28th April 2005, 08:09 PM
Yup! First past the post.

duncan
28th April 2005, 08:16 PM
The other option is Proportional Representation, which is what the Scottish Parliament has to a degree.

Its downside is that in a close vote, small extremist parties can hold the Government to ransom. i.e. Israel.
Plus it increases the chances of unstable government, and numerous elections. i.e. Italy