PDA

View Full Version : Taking MINI to Spain - advice please

lightbody
13th April 2005, 08:55 PM
1. I bought my car at the end of September last year. Since then its been perfectly reliable so has not been back to the dealers at all. Its now done 4000 "spirited" miles - is it worth taking it for a check up before taking it to Spain :cool: in early June (for the IMM) where it may be used in 40C heat?

2. Its got 16" runflats on it. Will I believe their claims, or invest in a space-saver spare to take with me?

3. Headlight beam adjusters - anyone fitted these?

4. Fire Extinguisher - apparently it can be fitted under the drivers seat - anyone done thise? Also been told it can go in the glovebox...

5. Warning triangle - can be fitted under the parcel shelf? Anyone done this?

6. First aid kit/tow rope/warning jacket - thinking of getting the wee MINI kit that includes these in a 'safety pack'.

Thanks for any tips!

Scottie
13th April 2005, 09:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

1. I bought my car at the end of September last year. Since then its been perfectly reliable so has not been back to the dealers at all. Its now done 4000 "spirited" miles - is it worth taking it for a check up before taking it to Spain :cool: in early June (for the IMM) where it may be used in 40C heat?

2. Its got 16" runflats on it. Will I believe their claims, or invest in a space-saver spare to take with me?

3. Headlight beam adjusters - anyone fitted these?

4. Fire Extinguisher - apparently it can be fitted under the drivers seat - anyone done thise? Also been told it can go in the glovebox...

5. Warning triangle - can be fitted under the parcel shelf? Anyone done this?

6. First aid kit/tow rope/warning jacket - thinking of getting the wee MINI kit that includes these in a 'safety pack'.

Thanks for any tips!

Ok requirements as I know them re touring with the caravan. We travel through various countries and they all have different rules but in general we take.

1. Car documents insurance etc this is a requirement.
2. Bulbs, first aid kit
3. New syle driver licence
4. Tavel insurance and recovery service.
5. Passport (don't forget the passport):p
6. Ferry tickets (don't fprget the ferry tickets)

full details visit www.caravanclub.co.uk

Scottie
13th April 2005, 09:16 PM
Infact here you go

just ignore the bits about caravans etc but this will keep you right about legal requirements i.e. two warning triangles for Spain etc

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B3F47C98-412E-4A13-BD2B-0465FB9FDB7D/3753/FirstTimeAbroad4.pdf

MartinSullivan
13th April 2005, 09:24 PM
The AA list of compulsory equipment for driving on the continent can be found here (http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas/compulsory_equipment.html)

duncan
13th April 2005, 09:24 PM
Remember the paper part of the new style licence

Scottie
13th April 2005, 09:34 PM
If travelling down through France remember plenty of Euros for those tolls.

If you don't read the caravanclub link thing one point about Spain if you get got crossing the white line in the middle of roads etc they throw the book at you:(

lightbody
13th April 2005, 09:40 PM
OK thanks... we're travelling as a group so its already been drummed into me by the others about what I need to take!!

duncan
13th April 2005, 09:46 PM
How are you getting there Rob?

The ferry from Plymouth to Spain, or a long drive through France?

lightbody
14th April 2005, 03:42 AM
Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry... 2 nights on board.

duncan
14th April 2005, 07:08 PM
Just wondered.

One of the signalmen from my work was on the Plymouth to Spain Ferry a few weeks back, and i'd have asked him for info if it was the route you were taking.

Just to add from my own experience on the SS Canberra, the Bay of Biscay can get very choppy, even in summertime.:(

broken_brian
15th April 2005, 12:20 AM
remember to drive on the wrong side of the road:p

and if keneth and judith are going in the little yellow classic don't let them go in front as you will be chasing them all the way there like i was when i went to austria. its a fast car for a 1.0:cool:

euan
15th April 2005, 10:24 PM
Headlight things - when I took my car to France last year, (it has xenon's) there was no way of changing them to make them legal. I had the headlight things but they were a bit useless to be honest but I didn't drive at night so it didn't cause us an issue. Apparently on newer cars with xenons there is a switch to change them.

Normal headlights will be fine with a mask.

jamesp
15th April 2005, 11:32 PM
Hi there - I did a 4500 mile trip around france in September last year in my Mini Cooper S. We travelled down to the Pyrannes through to Cannes, Monaco, then back up via Rhymes. The car proved 100% reliable. We did not have air conditioning and the temperture was approx 33. The only time the car sounded a bit strange was when we were driving in the pyrannes, but we put this down to the lack of air getting into the radiator.

Remember you have BMW assistance (although check it out before you go).

The only concern I had was with the Run flats - I took a gamble and was lucky that I was ok.

lightbody
16th April 2005, 04:30 AM
OK well I spent £129 today at the dealers on bits for my trip... Bulb Kit, Headlamp Foils, Fire Extinguisher, 1st Aid kit, Tow Rope, Warning triangle, safety vest...

euan
18th April 2005, 07:25 PM
Blimey, that's being well equiped :)

Most of that will fit in the wee cubby in the boot - In the left hand side there is a little button, pop it off and hide it away!

X30YES
18th April 2005, 08:37 PM

OK well I spent £129 today at the dealers on bits for my trip... Bulb Kit, Headlamp Foils, Fire Extinguisher, 1st Aid kit, Tow Rope, Warning triangle, safety vest...

FLY air scotland for £65 (return):D:D:D

Scottie
19th April 2005, 02:23 AM

don't forget your Scotland sticker for the back of the car;):D

Scottie
11th May 2005, 04:51 AM
Although I hadn´t seen any mention of it in any magazines, I´ve discovered that the Autovias in Spain, N1, N11, N111, N1V, and NV, all of which radiate from Madrid, have now been renamed A1 to A5. Also, south of Madrid, a new peage is sign-posted going to Cordoba, although since the A4 is duel carriageway and free.:)

Just thought I would post in case not sure if it's of any interest.