PDA

View Full Version : Smoke?

Big Col
12th April 2005, 11:11 PM
I've been told a couple of times from people in my office that my lil motor kicks out a whack of bluey coloured smoke when first pulling away after starting up. Is this normal???

Willie M
12th April 2005, 11:17 PM
Have you been putting diesel in him again Col? :clown::clown::D
You may get a tiny wee 'puff' when starting from cold but anything excessive should be investigated methinks....

Willie M
12th April 2005, 11:26 PM
Oh..... sorry to be a pedant, but I've moved this to the correct forum :approve:<smug>

The Dogfather
12th April 2005, 11:34 PM
Smoke? New name for Col's car Benson!

Mine smokes a bit until warm (very slight), probably down to the fact the engine is a pretty old design?

Scottie
12th April 2005, 11:39 PM
well I cannae say i've noticed smoke but have seen the steam like stuff that comes out the exhaust are you sure that's not all their seeing.?

Big Col
12th April 2005, 11:46 PM
They said there was a wee whack of it and that it had a bluey tinge to it. The people that said it are petrol heads so it got me pondering...

Mini Martyn
13th April 2005, 12:20 AM
Car Broken Already? :disapprove:

euan
13th April 2005, 01:14 AM
I'd be getting that checked, if only for peace of mind.

Cooper_si
13th April 2005, 02:32 AM
my cooper s does a little blue smoke, even when i bought it with 14,000, the BMW dealer i worked for at the time said it was ok and not to worry, unless it was always doing it like an old fiesta pop plus !

S7JGW
13th April 2005, 06:00 AM
Seen blue smoke coming for a turbod engine when the seals around the bearing in the turbo leak and let oil enter the exhaust, in this case the blue smoke was the oil buring in the exhaust afte leaking fast the seal. Could be the same in the Cooper Ss supercharger.
Just a Thought

Big Col
13th April 2005, 04:05 PM
Hmmmm. That'd be a worry if the seals on the supercharger were leaking...

Julz
13th April 2005, 04:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Hmmmm. That'd be a worry if the seals on the supercharger were leaking...

I've had the seal at the intercooler replaced and it isn't that expensive a part, it's just the labour that costs the money!! (I'll refrain from getting grumpy about this part being replaced!!;))

Cooper_si
13th April 2005, 05:13 PM
Dont forget with this type of engine design that the engine breather breathes into the air inlet to the charger...oil particals will be found anywhere in the air system past the Throttle body, say for example it u disconnet the IC and u see oil in there its not neccaserily blown charger seals, if there was excessive amounts of oil then yes be very worried ;) ALL eaton M45 superchargers only have a life of around 100,000 miles also...just incase you didnt know that, My car before the MINI was a Polo G40 and that charger had to be overhauled every 20,000 miles so theres abit of a difference hey :eek::D

Big Col
13th April 2005, 05:15 PM
So should I be worried?

Cooper_si
13th April 2005, 05:19 PM
have u still got warranty ? just for peice of mind id take it to a dealer like i did...if they say its ok then make sure that what they say is recorded on there computers, just incase anything was to happen u can take it back to the dealer

MartinSullivan
13th April 2005, 05:26 PM
I have just fitted a larger intercooler - and Cooper_Si is right a lot of oil does collect in the intercooler. I am fitting an oil catch can to reduce the amount passing through.

Big Col
13th April 2005, 07:02 PM
The car's only 3 months old Si. I wouldn't have thought the standard intercooler would leak that much oil Ms...would it?

MartinSullivan
13th April 2005, 07:08 PM
If you undo it and have a look I think you would be surprised at how much oil has collected inside it - but I dont think this is the cause of your problem. My new one has only been on for less than 500 miles and I took it off the other day to try and plumb my boost gauge in and it already has a liberal coating of oil inside it - have ordered the catch can in the hope that this will catch the worst of it.

Scottie
13th April 2005, 07:55 PM
Big Col,

Have you seen the smoke yourself. These guys are not just trying to wind you up:question:

Anyway take it to Menzies they guys will keep you right and put your mind to rest.:)

Big Col
13th April 2005, 09:03 PM
I saw the smoke last night as I was pulling away Fi but it didn't look TOO bad. Oil level doesn't seem to be dropping either. I'll get it checked out the next time I'm through visiting the folks. :)

Cooper_si
13th April 2005, 09:56 PM
when some of us say a coating of oil we dont mean a thick sludge , just thought id clear that fact...its like a mega fine coating and with the force the air going thru it leaves little fine streaks..wish i took a photo now, cuz i cleaned my intercooler out the other day. If theres loads of oil then theres a massive problem....heres a thought, check your airfilter is clean and clear ;)

Cooper_si
17th April 2005, 07:13 AM
i fitted my boost gauge and a new mod today and remembered this thread and thought i should take a pic of my intercooler to show what collects in there. I did clean this out a few weeks back, just shows how much passes thru...this is normal and not to be mistaken as a nackered engine ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/si_g40/Intercooleroil.jpg

Hope this helps :D:cool: