PDA

View Full Version : NOW hear your exhausts pop :)

Cooper_si
12th April 2005, 03:30 AM
my latest mod....makes u hear the popping and banging from your exhaust much more clearer...especially when your parcel shelf is removed also !

All i did was remove the sponge inserts from the rear interior back panel :) Now floor it and on full throttle, you can hear the exhaust gases leaving very very fast (wooshing noise), then back off the throttle for your POP POP POPPING ;)

p.s. the bling bit in the picture is my AMP :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/si_g40/Bootmod.jpg

The Dogfather
12th April 2005, 05:20 AM
Tried this and it works! I can now hear my S exhaust.

Cooper_si
12th April 2005, 05:46 AM
u mean youve just done my mod...or have done it before ?

The Dogfather
12th April 2005, 06:04 AM
Just done it.......

Cooper_si
12th April 2005, 07:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Just done it.......

top man ! wow ive been registered for a few hours and ive got people doing my mods already ! cool :cool:

But honestly it is worth while :)

The Dogfather
12th April 2005, 07:12 AM
Not a difficult mod to do....

I fitted an S exhaust to replace my old powerflow, bit miffed because it was too quiet. Now I can actually hear it.

Cheers!:D

ELFMAN
15th April 2005, 04:49 PM
If I remember correctly, these wee panels were put in the back panel and parcel shelf by BMW specifically for this purpose. ie it didn't sound “sporty” enough from the inside.

Fit a 'Playmini" Manifold & System on your 'S', and you don't need to remove the foam or the parcel shelf - trust me. ps anybody got some spare foam?

Only kidding - I LOVE IT.
(Brrrroomm, POP! BANG! BANG! POP! Brrrrooooooomm)

Cooper_si
16th April 2005, 12:01 AM
you nearly had me going then elfman..went out in a friends "S" yesterday and that pops like mad, told her about my mod and she was like "do it now, do it now" did it and she loves it , cool mod i say :)

G2 - S
16th April 2005, 12:22 AM
I'm so going to try this before I go on tonights run!! BDM - You up for tonight??

Cooper_si
16th April 2005, 02:59 AM
do the mod and keep ure parcel shelf off ! ;) POP POP POP

KINGHORN
16th April 2005, 08:23 PM
i did it and noticed no sound change but it makes you go faster, lol

The Dogfather
18th April 2005, 05:44 PM
Kinghorn - It's not a big difference, but it's noticable.

KINGHORN
18th April 2005, 06:08 PM
OK TOOK THE Shelf out to and you can here the poping a bit better but nout else

aimee_s
18th April 2005, 10:37 PM
help the slow folk out here and be more descriptive of where you mean for removing the sponge bits..... im confoosed!!

sleepyrascal
18th April 2005, 10:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by aimee_s

help the slow folk out here and be more descriptive of where you mean for removing the sponge bits..... im confoosed!!

Whos this? Are you new?? AIMEEE?? ;):D

Its been a while...

ELFMAN
19th April 2005, 03:38 AM
Seriously - I thought that's what the wee vented panels in the boot & shelf were for! Somebody back me up on this? I read it ages ago in one of the mags not long after the 'S' came out... It was to add "character' to the driving experience as they felt the driver wasn't getting enough "feedback" from the exhaust note.

By the way, I heard if you tear off the rear hatch and fling it away, you can REALLY hear the exhaust pop - and you can get tons more in the boot if your Dealer fits the optional (fully warrantied, at vast expense) "John Cooper Works" Cargo Net with embroidered logo.

Cooper_si
19th April 2005, 04:18 AM
yes keep out the parcel shelf by all means...the sponge muffles the sound that come into the cabin so taking them out makes it sound better

The Dogfather
19th April 2005, 05:32 AM
ELFMAN - Mine's a cooper with an S Exhaust so I haven't got the special parcel shelf, but the vents are on both cars.

GAJ
19th April 2005, 06:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN

Seriously - I thought that's what the wee vented panels in the boot & shelf were for! Somebody back me up on this?
I think I remember reading this too! The old memory isn't what it used to be, but I seem to remember the bit about the vented shelf anyway. I back you up!:p

aimee_s
19th April 2005, 07:18 AM
lol sleepy....it has been a while! been busy busy with uni stuff....and well...thats about it, poor excuse i know!!!

duncan
19th April 2005, 07:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Seriously - I thought that's what the wee vented panels in the boot & shelf were for! Somebody back me up on this?
I think I remember reading this too! The old memory isn't what it used to be, but I seem to remember the bit about the vented shelf anyway. I back you up!:p

I'll third the motion.

Cooper_si
19th April 2005, 07:44 AM
hey you guys !!! sit down for a sec and read what ive been putting ! lol

im not denying that bmw put these vents there for this reason...im only saying take the foam inserts out and the sound wont be muffled now!

i dunno ! lol

Big Col
19th April 2005, 03:48 PM
They're all getting old Si. You've got to be patient with them. :)

Julz
19th April 2005, 04:12 PM
I'm sure I covered these vents when I was having a mad Dynamat cover up everything in sight day!!:p 3 packs and 1 tin later, still noisy as heck!!:sleepy:

ELFMAN
20th April 2005, 04:43 PM
Si! I KNOW you weren't disputing what the vents were for! I'm not THAT senile........well, only under stress.

I was just trying to remember if I read that's what BMW put them in for. Seems the other "veterans" read it too. Didn't know it was on the COOPER, though - can't remember (see?) if it was on my 2001 COOPER. Anyway, good shout about making it louder. So, NO DISPUTE!

Julz - what's the latest on the car?

Cooper_si
20th April 2005, 06:04 PM
Anyway, good shout about making it louder. So, NO DISPUTE!

Cheers

:D

Mini Martyn
21st April 2005, 08:17 PM
Had a look in my boot, cant see them for the fales floor!! :(