PDA

View Full Version : is it a mouse or another bloomin' squeak???

Julz
15th July 2003, 08:52 PM
Okay, has anyone else had problems with a squeaky centre console?? No matter which bit I thump, wallop or swear at, it still bloomin squeaks!! (stereo at loud volumes still doesn't help cause I know it's there!) I've had this problem since new and the car has been to JC's about it, they say they've re-padded bits and pieces, but the paint on the bolts wasn't even sctratched!!:eek:
ALSO, as with a few others, my silly wee white reflectors in my doors rattle, WHY??:mad:
Can we start a poll on which bits of the mini peaople have had problems with, just to find the most common:question:

KenL
15th July 2003, 09:08 PM
Are you positive it's the centre console and not the dash? Mine creaked/squeaked but the dealer had 2 goes at fixing it and never a sound in 9 months. Think they took the top off and lined it with felt.

As to you reflectors, it's not them but the clips holding the door on. Check this thread
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29250&highlight=door+rattle

Mine buzzed like mad and the dealer had 2 goes at fixing them. I have now fixed it and it's really easy to do. My drivers door I fixed first time but the passenger door took me 3 attempts, each time adding extra bits of Velcro Tape.

Good luck.

Julz
15th July 2003, 09:21 PM
It's definately the centre console, I used to be able to push my left knee against it to shut it up, but now it just moves and squeaks somewhere else!! I think a mouse has moved in!!:evil:;)

Wul
15th July 2003, 09:52 PM
Mines has slight symptoms similar to yours Julz - pushing my leg against the silver downtube used to work - it has since changed to only happening when turning left!? work that one out - it isn't annoying me enough yet to let the dealer loose on it though as i'm scared they will disturb more rattles than they will fix!

Even more annoying though is when the handbrake button vibrates off it's surround - that noise is driving me nuts!

KenL
15th July 2003, 11:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
Even more annoying though is when the handbrake button vibrates off it's surround - that noise is driving me nuts!

I might have that one and I'll be looking out for it on the way home. I've had an annoying wee rattle now and then that I had thought was the seatbelt clips.

If you touch the button does it go away?

Wul
16th July 2003, 12:28 AM
Yup! it goes away as soon as you touch the button Ken!

So annoying as i reckon there isn't really a solution to it! unless it loosens off as the pads wear effectively meaning there is no tention pulling on the button when the brake is fully released thus allowing it to rattle!

if you could expose the button fully a wee drop of ptfe tape or similar should sort the problem without fouling the action of the button!

KenL
16th July 2003, 07:25 AM
The plastic end bit pulls off the hadle OK, don't know if that helps get to it.

Big Col
16th July 2003, 03:55 PM
The mind boggles about how you found that out Ken. What do you have stashed in your handbrake button? ;)

KenL
16th July 2003, 04:25 PM
:D:D:D

I know because I removed the plastic bits to fit my MINI brushed metal grip :cool:;)

Big Col
16th July 2003, 04:42 PM
Honest your honour... ;) :D

Wul
16th July 2003, 04:53 PM
OOH er missus!

Pulling off the cap reveals a bit more of the button - however it rattles within the main "structural" part of the handbrake handle! which unfortunately doesn't seem to be accessible!

I got the brushed chrome grip as part of my freebies - can't believe they want £45 for that! in the end i fitted the metal bit in with my original silver caps - looks pretty good to me as the handle is now totally silver looking and saved me having to meddle with the leather boot.

Also ordered up the silver footrest plate - looks pretty good and a doddle to fit - and the clear look front indicator bulbs or so i thought! turns out it's £10.50 per bulb so i'll have to cough up some dough for the other one! oops!

KenL
16th July 2003, 05:30 PM
I got my handbrake grip from vouchers Eastern gave me. I moaned about having to pay out for insurance when my car was getting warranty work done.

When you have a ONE and they give you BMs or a Cooper S as a courtesy car it costs extra on your insurance.

Does this happen with Dunedin also?

Big Col
16th July 2003, 05:54 PM
If you have a ONE Ken, then have to pay extra for insurance if they give you a coop or an S, by that argument could they not give you a Reliant Robin for the day and then they could give you money. ;)

Wul
17th July 2003, 06:05 PM
Yup - got a 318ti from dunedin and it cost me £7.30 for the insurance.

When i had the S last week it was no extra though.

Now a reliant robin - thats what i call a courtesy car!

KenL
17th July 2003, 08:13 PM
When they had my car for a week they gave me a BM 318iS. My wife loved it but I was asleep after about 30s at the wheel.

Anyway Directline charged me ~£35 for extra insurance. A total rip-off as my insurance for the whole year for the ONE is only £220 due to the fact that I'm an old f*rt :(

It was at this point I complained seeing as the car was only in to fix things they'd failed to nail on previous attempts :mad:

Big Col
17th July 2003, 08:28 PM
£225??????? How old are you? 104???? Jaysus!

Wul
17th July 2003, 11:03 PM
Well just renewed my insurance for my coop today!

Priviledge came up tops - £444 fully comp, 28 yrs young, business use, 5 years NCB, Legal Protection, £250 XS only one that came close was Tesco but they quoted without a courtesy car and for me that was a must!

Interestingly enough - they initially forgot to note that it had the Chili pack, so when i reminded them the premium jumped by £40 - eek!

However still a £50 saving on what MINI cover quoted me for my renewal.

KenL
18th July 2003, 12:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
£225??????? How old are you? 104???? Jaysus!

Well, I'm not that old really only 37 and in my prime ;) My wife is also insured to drive, she's 33.

We both get full business use. The ONE is so cheap to insure as it's less than my last car, a Punto :) Directline have always been good for me.

Anyway, if anyone thinks I'm too old for this site just let me know and me and my incontinence knickers will go elsewhere :evil::D

Big Col
18th July 2003, 03:52 PM
Acht your not old Ken. Big Gordy's about 3 times your age I rekon. ;)

The Big G man is on holiday at the moment which is why I think I can get away with saying that. Let's hope he doesn't read this when he gets back. :) Ssssshhhhh.

Willie M
18th July 2003, 08:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Well, I'm not that old really only 37 and in my prime ;)

Anyway, if anyone thinks I'm too old for this site just let me know and me and my incontinence knickers will go elsewhere :evil::D
Naaa.. stick around Ken, us oldies 'ave gotta look after each other what with all these young whippersnappers hanging around NMS :D I dunno, when I was a lad, blah, blah, blah....

3GGG
18th July 2003, 08:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

quote:Originally posted by KenL

Well, I'm not that old really only 37 and in my prime ;)

Naaa.. stick around Ken, us oldies 'ave gotta look after each other what with all these young whippersnappers hanging around NMS :D I dunno, when I was a lad, blah, blah, blah....

Young whippersnappers the pair of you...;)

Big Gordy
21st July 2003, 05:35 PM
:DHello boys and girls I'm back. I was going to give Colin his holiday stick of rock but not after that last comment about my age :( Mini quoted me £182 for our One with me and the missus covered. What surprised me even more was they only :eek: wanted 635 quid for my son (who has just turned 17 today) if he was to be included on the policy. Unfortunately for him hell will have to freeze over before his faither will let him anywhere near the Mini ;)

Big Col
21st July 2003, 08:25 PM
You only look about 21 though Big G. ;)