PDA

View Full Version : Aren't you supposed to check tyres on a service?

The Dogfather
7th April 2005, 05:11 AM
My MINI was in JC Aberdeen earlier this week for the 25k service inspection.

I've just notice that my two front tyres are very close if not on the legal limit and yet no mention of this was made by the JC staff despite the fact I asked them to check the wheel bearings.

I'm begining to think that they never even looked at the car. I intend to complain what should my plan of action be?

Gismo
7th April 2005, 05:59 AM
I only think you will get any where is if you put all your requests in writing, or at least made sure what you wanted was written onto the job sheet
I agree that your tyres should have been checked as a matter of course

Another example for me was the excellent service from JC's in Dundee, not only did they detect my excessive tyre wear, they advised me against driving it at all in the condition it was in :)

The Dogfather
7th April 2005, 06:41 AM
Alan they told me they'd checked the bearings and there wasn't a problem.

I Want A Works
7th April 2005, 07:33 AM
When I got my 9 month old Laguna in Jan, it only had 9500 miles on the clock so I never bothered looking at the tyres. Had a little bump with it less than a week later so took it to my local garage (brothers father in law to be) and he said that the wheel alignment was off and that the tyres were worn on the outside edge.:disapprove:
Phoned that garage to query this but as was over 1000 miles since I got the car (I did a few miles that week) the tyre warranty was finished :mad: ARGH!!!!!!

KenL
7th April 2005, 04:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that checking the consition of tyres and the pressures is in a service.

Having said that you really should check them yourself on a regular basis :)

The Dogfather
7th April 2005, 04:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

I'm pretty sure that checking the consition of tyres and the pressures is in a service.

Having said that you really should check them yourself on a regular basis :)

I check the tread at least once a month, but I'd left it as it was going in for a service, I knew they needed replacing soon. I just happened to spot the tread after I parked the car with the wheels turned.

My point is, if they didn't check the tyres what else didn't they check?

MartinSullivan
7th April 2005, 04:32 PM
Did you not get a copy of the job sheet when you collected the car? I did last service, it lists everything that was checked and has tick boxes to say its been done. Tyre tread and wear is on the sheet and they have listed the depth of tread left each tyre and the overall wear.

The Dogfather
7th April 2005, 04:41 PM
Spoke to JC they are saying that there is 4mm of tread left on the tyres, my arse there is.

I'm taking the car in tomorrow to show the service manager, has anyone in Aberdeen got a tread gauge?

minidriver#1
7th April 2005, 05:18 PM
JC's gave me my car back once with a punctured front left tire, which i was not happy about at all, all credit to them they gave me another mini for the night and my tire was repaired the morning after.

It must be a JC thing as they seem to miss alot of these small but important checks.

sleepyrascal
7th April 2005, 07:26 PM
quote:

It must be a JC thing as they seem to miss alot of these small but important checks.

Like re-connecting seat levers or putting the steering wheel on straight, or having a car in to get a new power steering component and forgetting to put the component in, or keeping a car to replace tyres, only to find four hours later, that they dont have any tyres.

:D:D:D:D POOR JC! They do make up for it in the end usually!

Julz
7th April 2005, 08:02 PM
One of my favourites was when I put my mini in for one of her 6k oil services that I pay for myself. Well, because I said oil change and not service, that's exactly what they did, changed the oil and left the manky filter in place!!:evil::disapprove:

The Dogfather
7th April 2005, 10:46 PM
Update - They inspected the car and agree that none of the tyres had been properly checked.

However the attitude of the service manager 'Ian Cochran' was shocking, he was arrogant and condesending (spelling?). I had to actually prompt him to apologise and even then it he never really did.

With this in mind I'm going to write to the both the dealer principal and MINI customer services. I would strongly suggest that anyone with a problem with JC Aberdeen should do the same especially if you had a run in with Ian Cochran!

Question - is an oil change required at the 25k inspection service?

sleepyrascal
7th April 2005, 11:02 PM
quote:

Question - is an oil change required at the 25k inspection service?

Check your TLC book. Pretty sure it tells you what gets done on which service.

The Dogfather
7th April 2005, 11:07 PM
I was under the impression that it wasn't needed but my oil was changed!

MartinSullivan
7th April 2005, 11:08 PM
An Inspection 1 includes an oil and filter change according to the service booklet.

The Dogfather
7th April 2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks Martin!

MartinSullivan
7th April 2005, 11:22 PM
Got the list in front of me if you want to know everything that is on it

KenL
8th April 2005, 12:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Update - They inspected the car and agree that none of the tyres had been properly checked.

However the attitude of the service manager 'Ian Cochran' was shocking, he was arrogant and condesending (spelling?). I had to actually prompt him to apologise and even then it he never really did.

With this in mind I'm going to write to the both the dealer principal and MINI customer services. I would strongly suggest that anyone with a problem with JC Aberdeen should do the same especially if you had a run in with Ian Cochran!

You had to prompt him to apologise? Did you make him go and stand in the corner as well :blackeye:

Sorry but I think you might be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Agreed, they should have checked your tires but worse oversights can and do happen.

The Dogfather
8th April 2005, 12:59 AM
KenL - I paid them to check the car, they took my TLC voucher and didn't check it but told me they did. If I hadn't spotted the tyre and been stopped by the police I would have had a £1000 fine and a 3 points. IMO, no I don't think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

part of the conversation went: -

Ian 'so what do you want me to do about it' I replied 'well an apology would be nice'

Ian - 'well you can have an apology if that's what you want'

I wonder if I'd would have got the same reaction if I'd complained about BMW servicing!

davesminis
8th April 2005, 06:59 AM
JC seem to offer shocking service. I am going to have to watch where I take mine, getting near to service time!!
with my citroen, I had a great dealer (belmont), dont want to end up with hassels!

Duncan Stewart
8th April 2005, 09:53 PM
At least it's not as bad as Toy bl**dy awful ota.
A week after my Corolla was serviced I was washing it and noticed the rear tyres worn on the inside - checked it - 1mm on inside, 5mm on out side, so I returned it to the garage (Perth, be warned!) who produced a service sheet with 4mm over whole width of the rear tyres written on it.
When I suggested it was impossible for a tyre to grow more tread they got really grumpy and charged me for 4 wheel tracking and 2 new tyres (car was 6 months old!)
You sort them out Paul - shocking standard of workmanship which BMW should be made aware of. What else might have they missed?
The service from most new car dealers seems very low quality. The small, local garage that looks after my classic mini is much better than any main dealer I've had to deal with

eddie 44
9th April 2005, 09:56 PM
had similar problem with same dealer duncan :( the car came with a
full mot & two bauld tyres, never will we buy another car from them:mad: