PDA

View Full Version : coughing cruise control

Neil and Lorna
5th April 2005, 03:21 AM
Hi folkes

On a recent trip down to Preston last week I had a chance to try out the cruise control on a 3 lane Motorway(m6).

At a cruising speed of about 70mph (clears throat and looks sheepish) we noticed that the car seamed to cough a little bit now and again.

Approximatly every 3-4 mins it would give just a little jolt as if it misfired or something.

Has anybody else had something like this or is it maybe somthing to do with the JCW kit.

The car is booked into Dunedin Selkirk on friday for them to attach it to there computer thingy.

Incedently using the cruise control to speed the car up and slow down on the MFSW was like playng a game on a nintendo.:D:D:D

Neil

The Dogfather
5th April 2005, 03:49 AM
Preston? That was my neck of the woods!

Gismo
5th April 2005, 05:04 AM
What type of fuel are you using :question: if not Optimax then try it, you'll probably have to have around 3 refills to see any benefit

Neil and Lorna
5th April 2005, 07:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

What type of fuel are you using :question: if not Optimax then try it, you'll probably have to have around 3 refills to see any benefit

Hi Alan

I try to use optimax but its a 30 mile round trip to my nearest shell garage.:mad:.

So sometimes i have to put a little esso 97 octane just to see me over.

Could this be my problem?.

As were told when we start on the dizzy juice on reaching 18 dont mix your drinks! :clown:

Cheers Neil

Gismo
5th April 2005, 07:53 AM
Ok, what type of spark plugs are you using, if it's just the standard ones you should consider getting some Iridium IK22's or similar, they run at a lower temp and help pre detonation which i think you have

Wul
5th April 2005, 04:56 PM
The cruise control on my MCS doesn't cough or splutter as you described Neil so think it may be a problem as Bonnie descibed - however this would also manifest itself when driving at a constant speed without the CC on!

Neil and Lorna
5th April 2005, 07:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Ok, what type of spark plugs are you using, if it's just the standard ones you should consider getting some Iridium IK22's or similar, they run at a lower temp and help pre detonation which i think you have

Alan

The spark plugs are the ones that came with the JCW kit.

Neil

Neil and Lorna
5th April 2005, 07:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

The cruise control on my MCS doesn't cough or splutter as you described Neil so think it may be a problem as Bonnie descibed - however this would also manifest itself when driving at a constant speed without the CC on!

Hi Wul

Havn't noticed anything untowards with CC off,but will investigate.(any excuse to go out in the mini is ok by me:D)

BTW Megs is superb cheers.:D

Neil

Neil and Lorna
9th April 2005, 07:28 AM
Update

Dealer checked with thier computer thingy, found no fault.

Their possible explanation is

"its a very light car with a very powerfull engine so the engine wants to go faster but the cruise control software says hang on a minute your going fast enough."

So therefore theres a slight hesitation.

They do say that there in the dark with the Works kit because its the first they have fitted and the first they have seen with the MFSW.

They are going to consult with BMW to see if they have had any experience with such a problem.

Cheers Neil :D