PDA

View Full Version : Gearknob problem

GAJ
14th July 2003, 05:59 PM
Yesterday the plastic which covers the numbers on the top of my gearknob split and started to peel off. It looks like it might have been due to the Scottish weather. We get one sunny day and this happens!:cool:

It looks like it's back to Dunedin for me cos it feels horrible in my hand! I will mention the hole in the handbrake boot as well and hopefully get them both replaced under warranty. I wonder if this merits a tin of sweets too?

KenL
14th July 2003, 06:06 PM
I've got one of those fancy Whalen jobbies on order which will hopefully prevent my knob from peeling in the future:eek::p:D

GAJ
14th July 2003, 07:18 PM
How much was it - I thought about that geeting one.

KenL
14th July 2003, 07:29 PM
I'm getting it through the group buy on MINI2. Cost including shipping is $125 :eek:

That's $30 off the usual price. He'll no doubt run another offer in the future.

Hopefully It will be with me by next week. I'll post a pic of it then.

lightbody
14th July 2003, 07:39 PM
The top of my gearknob seems to be made of a strange soft plastic that has gone all sticky and hazy...

Julz
14th July 2003, 08:41 PM
Mine goes a wee bit sticky and hazy too, but a good dicht soon sorts that problem out!!:)

Wul
14th July 2003, 09:02 PM
The language being used in this thread is F$c%ing terrible!;)

My knob is fine so far (touch wood) - no not that kind of wood!:eek:

GAJ - it was citrus sweets last week!

KenL
25th July 2003, 08:59 PM
If anyone would like to see my knob have a look here:
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/picture16831.html

Tony
25th July 2003, 10:16 PM
Top notch KenL,

I was a bit worried about just what i was about to see when i opened the link,...but thankfully it was just a picture of your whalen........

looks good,....could you get anything engraved on the top??..it would be cool to have something funky written on it, but ive a feeling if i did that, my missus would never know what gear she was in.... ;)

how does it feel,...certainly looks ace

KenL
25th July 2003, 10:41 PM
It feels superb. Doesn't get all sticky like the standard one.

You can in theory get anything you want done. He can even do really fancy shapes as long as you supply data in the right format for his machine. If you can't do it there was some guy on MINI2 who offered to convert jpeg etc into the correct format for his CNC machine.

It's pretty pricey but well worth it. In fact pretty good value when other upgrades are so expensive, such as plastic chrome grills at £60.

I got the initials as they fit both me and my wife Karin. Also, I didn't get the 5 gear pattern engraved in case my next car is an S with 6 gears. I initally asked him to copy the MINI badge but he wouldn't do it in case some law suit came after him - he is in the USA after all.

Willie M
28th July 2003, 03:44 PM
Very nice indeed Ken :cool:

Woz
28th July 2003, 08:00 PM
Arrgh, now my knob has broken. The top came off in Moorf’s hand.

errm, let me start again. The little plastic bit in the centre of the gear knob broke and fell off while Moorf was driving and now the gear knob is just spinning around as there is nothing to lock it in to place.

Looks like a design flaw to me if the one-day Scottish summer is enough to break it. Waiting to hear from servicing to see if I can get a new one under warranty

GAJ
28th July 2003, 08:10 PM
I got mine fixed under warranty without any problems. I had the handbrake boot replaced too. My dealer couldn't have been better about it. I was well chuffed!

macblob
28th July 2003, 08:13 PM
Thats cause ur going to have to give them 300 quid to get your baby fixed up Gaj, otherwise they would have been there un helpful selves no doubt.

Having said that i drove about 300 miles mostly on the twisties this weekend and my seat still isnt squeaking so thats a bonus:D

Maybe Dunedin really are getting there act together

Heres hoping

GAJ
28th July 2003, 09:24 PM
When I went in the people I dealt with were unaware of the wee bump I had. In fact when the guy brought the car back round the front he asked me if I was aware of the damage to the rear bumper. I thought about trying to wind him up and saying it wasn't damaged when he drove it round the corner but I wasn't feeling at my wittiest at that time on Saturday morning. Too much swally on Friday!

Woz
28th July 2003, 09:27 PM
Yay, my new knob is coming....

err, BMW parts have ordered me a new one under warranty. :)