PDA

View Full Version : INSIDE INFO

KINGHORN
2nd April 2005, 01:51 AM
just had some that a company(in scotland) have a ptototype conversion for the cooper s 221BHP done with a chip, pully and wait for it a sexy carbon piped FMIC,

any one heard anything else

Julz
2nd April 2005, 10:29 PM
It could be Dastek (I think!) they've been tampering with converting minis for a few months now! I think they're based in Dalgety Bay or Glenrothes or something!! Sheesh, do I know how to answer a question!!;):D

Wul
3rd April 2005, 05:52 AM
Sorry to be silly but what's a "FMIC"? :clown:

GAJ
3rd April 2005, 07:17 AM
Front mounted intercooler.

KINGHORN
3rd April 2005, 06:18 PM
yip it is dastek, gonna phone then monday to see about it, but as far as i no its still prototype, but will inform you lot when i find out

Wul
4th April 2005, 01:25 AM
Cheers GAJ :clown:

AndyP & Lenore
4th April 2005, 07:00 PM
Hope I'm not standing on Kinghorn's feet here, but I called Dastek myself this morning.

We were all ready to call GTT and book in for the end of the week, when we decided we should at least see what Dastek will be offering.

So after discussing with them what will be on offer, we are going up to see them on Thursday to have a look at their prototype. They are also going to have a look under our bonnet to see what changes the Auto box has made to the Cooper S engine bay.

Not completely forgotten about GTT. Going to see a bloke in Glasgow on Friday to see his new conversion.

I'll let you know how I get on.

AndyP

KINGHORN
4th April 2005, 09:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP

Hope I'm not standing on Kinghorn's feet here, but I called Dastek myself this morning.

We were all ready to call GTT and book in for the end of the week, when we decided we should at least see what Dastek will be offering.

So after discussing with them what will be on offer, we are going up to see them on Thursday to have a look at their prototype. They are also going to have a look under our bonnet to see what changes the Auto box has made to the Cooper S engine bay.

Not completely forgotten about GTT. Going to see a bloke in Glasgow on Friday to see his new conversion.

I'll let you know how I get on.

AndyP

you wouldnt do me a favour and find out as much as possible and email me all the details, cheers

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2005, 12:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by KINGHORN
you wouldnt do me a favour and find out as much as possible and email me all the details, cheers

Certainly will. They are hoping to give us a price on Thursday, not sure if it will be different than the standard price as we have an auto box and GTT were going to charge us £200 more than the standard 220HP conversion for manual boxes. Will let you know when we have more details

KINGHORN
5th April 2005, 05:39 AM
spoke to paul today just as he was putting it on the rollers, then again afterwards, the figures he was stating were quite interesting,

any info you can get would be good also as you no what like, they tell one person one thing and another something else

JohnO
6th April 2005, 06:33 AM
Andy , you cant escape LOL...

Certainly given the good things I have heard and seen at Dastek , mean its a lot shorter drive to get the car converted (and if you have any issues...).
Depends what comes in the Dastek conversion and the power claims.

See you soon
JohnO

AndyP & Lenore
6th April 2005, 08:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by JohnO

Andy , you cant escape LOL...

Certainly given the good things I have heard and seen at Dastek , mean its a lot shorter drive to get the car converted (and if you have any issues...).
Depends what comes in the Dastek conversion and the power claims.

See you soon
JohnO

:DI'll let you know how I get on when I see you on Friday John.:D

Looking forward to 2 days of 220bhp demo's:D:D:D

KINGHORN
6th April 2005, 05:25 PM
im thonking of heading down on thursday, any 1 want to come

AndyP & Lenore
6th April 2005, 07:47 PM

We are going to Dastek on Thurs at about 1.30pm ish maybe 2.00pm.

Maybe see you there?

Mini Martyn
6th April 2005, 08:01 PM
Where abouts in Glasgow you going to?

AndyP & Lenore
6th April 2005, 09:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mini Martyn

Where abouts in Glasgow you going to?

Who you asking?

KINGHORN
6th April 2005, 10:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP

We are going to Dastek on Thurs at about 1.30pm ish maybe 2.00pm.

Maybe see you there?

that might be possible actualy because it will be round about then i get there.

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2005, 07:20 AM
Had a great demo of Dastek's modified Cooper S today. This car has had a 15% reduced pulley, ecu re-map, different manifold, pipercross induction kit and their very own front mounted intercooler. Originally a standard 163bhp Cooper S, it now boasts 227bhp.:D:D

The front mounted intercooler looks very snazzy and boy the car can shift. 70mph in second gear at a smidgen under 7000revs.:D Quick shift up to 3rd and the car continues to take off and force you into the seat. Although they were great roads for a demo, they were a little crowded with traffic:(, so we certainly didn't see the cars full potential.

I was very impressed with Dastek's set up and facilities. They have their own dyno with wind tunnel generator and map each car individually.

Paul (from Dastek) couldn't give me a price for the upgrade as our car is an Automatic transmission and this is something new to them (in a Cooper S!), so they need to do some more homework before giving a price.

Dastek will have the car at Knockhill this Sunday.

When I have more info, including a price I'll reply again.

KINGHORN
8th April 2005, 06:00 PM
was trying to help paul get more power out of the car the other day but, he doesnt seem keen going into the engione any as the kit is aimed for bolt on only, hes not keen on opening up the throttle boddy, but maybe if i do it it might change his mind, lol

the playmini manifold did nothing to the power,which is surprising, but in pauls words gave it a better NOTE, im thinking of going on sunday as i couldnt make it yesterday :-(.

but im realy loving this kit,

as a show of dasteks superiority over superchips, as John told me yesterday there mini cooper chalange cup car hadf to be dissqualified becayse it was faster than all the other ones, as they were all superchiped and the dastek sponserd one had there own chip. lol just goes to show you.

anyway hopefully i will get to see this beast in action soon.

AndyP & Lenore
9th April 2005, 04:31 AM
OK, got a price from Paul (Dastek)

227BHP fitted for £2350.00 Inc vat. Although the 227bhp is based on a 163 Cooper S, so I should theoretically get 234bhp. All the same I've told him this is way too expensive.

Now considering other options, including a 212bhp increase from Dastek which is everything discussed so far except the FMIC. However, still seriously considering GTT, BBR, West etc.

AndyP

KINGHORN
9th April 2005, 05:24 PM
thats a good price, will they do it without fitting, parts only, although would have to get them to do the map

AndyP & Lenore
9th April 2005, 07:20 PM

thats a good price, will they do it without fitting, parts only, although would have to get them to do the map

Don't know, didn't ask that question.