PDA

View Full Version : Help with ECU re-map

cpedro58
31st March 2005, 03:35 AM
I have decided to upgrade my one with the MTH re map but I really need help as I am worse than useless with anything to do with laptops etc.
is there anyone out there who has done this and could show me first hand?
I have registered with Franz but am not confident enough to carry out the download!
usual rates apply!:I

MartinSullivan
31st March 2005, 03:54 AM
I have a cable which I would happily lend you - but I am based in Aberdeen. If you ever up here I would happily do it.

Moonshine has one as well and may be nearer to you.

It isnt that difficult - but I can understand why you might be nervous :D

cpedro58
31st March 2005, 05:20 AM
Any help would be much appreciated!
i live in Dumfries but am on holiday next week and don't mind travelling (even to A/deen!) as I am really keen to get this done before she who must be obeyed takes my pocket money back!
The journey back would let me test it anyway:D

MartinSullivan
31st March 2005, 05:31 AM
The problem is it is a two stage process, you need to download the map and email it to Franz with a spec of the car. He then returns a modified file to you - but this can take anything between hours and a week.

cpedro58
31st March 2005, 05:44 AM
starting to get the picture - maybe I can find someone a bit closer who could help. In my ignorance I didn't realise that you may have to wait some time for the files to be returned.
cheers anyway!:D

MartinSullivan
31st March 2005, 06:16 AM
Not a problem - will easily post the cables to you if you decide to try it yourself. If you have any other questions just ask. BTW if you go the AMD Oneclick route you have to wait for the map to be returned to you as well, and they charge you everytime you make a further mod, where MTH is free.

cpedro58
31st March 2005, 06:39 AM
Don't want to go down AMD route etc as they all seem to be a bit of a rip off. MTH seem to give real value for money and almost all feedback seems to be positive, therefore I think I'll give it a try.
still a bit apprehensive about doing it myself so I may wait and see if an 'expert' can assist.
I'll let you know how i get on!

MartinSullivan
31st March 2005, 06:46 AM
No probs, happy to talk you through it and answer any questions you may have. Also when Gerry (moonshine) comes on he might be closer to you.

cpedro58
2nd April 2005, 06:17 AM
After much deliberation, i really want to try this- is the offer of a loan of your cable still open?
I may also take you up on your offer of 'talking me through it' but I'm sure I'll manage!:)

Moonshine
2nd April 2005, 03:18 PM
As Martin has said, i'm based in Gourock and work in East kilbride. I have a serial cable that will let you download / upload the maps too if this helps. Martins cable is USB.

Gerry

MartinSullivan
2nd April 2005, 07:35 PM
There you go cpedro - you have two offers of help now - we are a friendly bunch arent we :D If Gerry is nearer to you then I am sure he will help you out or I am still willing to put my cable in the post to you in the next week or so as I have a couple of cars to do first.

cpedro58
2nd April 2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys.
I'll drop you an email.
:)

MartinSullivan
4th April 2005, 08:06 PM
Cpedro - here is a good step by step guide to the MTH process

MTH Guide (http://www.littlemini.us/technical/mth/index.asp)

cpedro58
5th April 2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks Martin. Does'nt seem such a daunting prospect now.
I hope tp meet up with Moonshine later this week and he will lend me his cable, so hopefully will be up and running shortly!

MartinSullivan
5th April 2005, 08:49 PM
Cool, any problems let either of us know and we will do our best to help you out. If you want my mobile number drop me an email.

mgemie
7th April 2005, 06:23 AM
like many others i started looking at the OneClick option but now with hearing about the MTH method i'm changing my mind.... where can i buy the mth hardware?

i'm a dumfries mini owner as well...cpedro58 - you manage to undertake the MTH without any probs?

MartinSullivan
7th April 2005, 06:28 AM
Ok you get the software component from MTH (http://www.mth-powerchip.de/_neu1407/e_index.php). You can buy the cable from Sacha at OBD Interfaces (http://www.obd-interface.de/pages/shop_eng/pi1101485406.htm?categoryId=1). They do a usb version or a serial port version. If your laptop does not have Com ports definitely buy the USB version - DO NOT try to use a "cheap" USB to Serial interface with the serial cable - YOU WILL FAIL!

You can read about the procedure here (http://www.littlemini.us/technical/mth/index.asp)

MartinSullivan
7th April 2005, 06:30 AM
I have been running the MTH software for a good while now and am still really happy with it. I have had several free updates from Franz - the latest of which is for a 17% smaller pulley and some other mods, this new map will be installed once the hardware is in place :D

mgemie
7th April 2005, 06:49 AM
how specific do you have to be when telling franz your mini's mods? I'm due to fit a new exhuast - will i have to specific technical info?

Moonshine
7th April 2005, 04:14 PM
i think all you need to let him know is cat back / hi flow cat / race header - brand is unimportant AFAIK
gerry

MartinSullivan
7th April 2005, 04:30 PM
Yeah sounds about right Gerry - he will also produce small differences in the map free of charge for you so you can try them and pick which feels best for you and your style of driving.

cpedro58
24th April 2005, 05:41 AM
Not very happy with MTH because there has never been any info re the drawbacks of installing this upgrade - I can't get the stupid grin :Doff my face every time I put my foot down!Pipercross induction kit doesn't help as my siver dream machine growls:evil: all the time now!

MartinSullivan
24th April 2005, 07:23 AM
:D glad you like it - should try it in an S with a 17% Pulley ;)

mgemie
12th May 2005, 05:32 PM
I've got my OBD cable so now i need the software & keycode etc.. - do i get presented with a software download link when i register on the MTH site? At what point do i make payment to Franz and receive all necessary codes etc..?

MartinSullivan
12th May 2005, 05:37 PM
Register as a USER on the MTH site, and then once you have received a code back you can log into the user area of the site.

Once here you can purchase the car tune software and a key code.

mgemie
12th May 2005, 05:41 PM
thanks for info MS - what is involved after this point? Is it now just a case of downloading the ECU map and sending it to Franz for customisation? Is it true that once you've downloaded your ecu map you can't drive until Franz gets back to you with the mod'd map?

MartinSullivan
12th May 2005, 05:46 PM
You can read about the procedure here (http://www.littlemini.us/technical/mth/index.asp), its straightforward.

And no , thats rubbish, you can drive the car while you are waiting from the info back from Franz.

If it was my post about trying to get the maps turned round in a day that made you think that then the only reason I was trying to do that was that some members were looking to drive a considerable distance to Aberdeen, so was trying to get everything sorted in one trip.

mgemie
12th May 2005, 05:53 PM
Has there been many ONE's with MTH re-maps? I know Franz originally did the re-mapping for his cooper and was wondering if MTH re-map for my ONE would remove the restrictors & stumble effect etc? Whats the supposed increase for a 90bhp ONE?

MartinSullivan
12th May 2005, 06:03 PM
Yes lots of people have MTH'd ones. It will bring the bhp up inline with the Cooper, but as a certain member of this site will tell you a chipped One is faster than a Cooper due to the gearing.

Big Gordy
12th May 2005, 06:44 PM
Hey Martin:D Need to hook up with you at the Arbroath Airshow to have a wee chat about this;). I'll get Ross to bring his laptop if you bring your cable :p:D:approve:

MartinSullivan
12th May 2005, 06:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Hey Martin:D Need to hook up with you at the Arbroath Airshow to have a wee chat about this;). I'll get Ross to bring his laptop if you bring your cable :p:D:approve:

No probs Gordy, will drop you an email about it

Big Gordy
12th May 2005, 06:59 PM
Martin you have mail:D

mgemie
14th May 2005, 07:52 AM
when submitting the original ECU map to Franz do you have to declare whether your MINI is a CVT/Manual etc... or is it just mods you state?

MartinSullivan
14th May 2005, 10:42 PM
He should be able to tell from the ECU info you send, but I always detail the make, model and year of the cars I send in to him

mgemie
19th May 2005, 06:31 AM
When i click the send button on the MTH web uploader i get this message on a new page: "E-Mail ist erfolgsreich geschickt" What does this mean? Is this saying i was successful in sending my two files to Franz? Help!!!...

Moonshine
19th May 2005, 04:15 PM
i got that message too - babelfish direct translation is "E-Mail is success-rich skillful"

gerry

MartinSullivan
19th May 2005, 04:18 PM
Yes Mgemie, you have been succesful. Sit back and wait now :D

I got some new files from Franz this week turned round in a day - so hopefully you will be as lucky.

mgemie
19th May 2005, 05:43 PM
wahey!! me was in a panic thinking maybe i'd done something wrong when send... Its glad to know that me downloading my ECU 11 at night was worth it, lol!! Whenever i make any changes to my car and need the ECU tweaking do i just repeat the same process when sending the files to franz while informing him of the mods?

MartinSullivan
19th May 2005, 05:53 PM
Yeah, just keep sending the files in with a new list of mods - and he will return the update to you

mgemie
23rd May 2005, 02:15 AM
I've just had my Franz'd ECU Map for my ONE. One question though - Franz has sent me two maps (2 .mth files); 1 for 91-octane and another for a 93-octane. I'm not sure what octane the petrol currently in my tank is, which map should i upload?

mgemie
23rd May 2005, 02:19 AM
When uploading all i basically do is 1) load the .mth file 2) Enter my keycode into the blue box and then 3) click the upload button....is that it?

mgemie
23rd May 2005, 02:54 AM
I use the Tesco unleaded which i think is still 99-octane - should i upload the 91 or 93 octane MTH map? Does it make that much of a difference?

mgemie
23rd May 2005, 04:12 AM
Have just finished uploading the new Franz'd MTH map to my ONE. While 5th gear seems more responsive under acceleration and all gears feel smoother throughout, i feel that my 2nd gear has lost some of its 'agressiveness' that it had before... I'm going to give it a while to see what i think in the long run... I dont regret the remap but 2nd gear used to put a smile on my face with the pull it gave under hard acceleration.. maybe its just my imagination that its lessened.

I used the 93-octane map, would it make much difference if i switched to the 91-octane map? I think my tank currently has Tesco's famed 99-octane unleaded but not sure.

MartinSullivan
23rd May 2005, 05:14 AM
I dont think you can get the tesco 99 in Scotland just now (I might be wrong though, and I am sure someone will tell me if I am LOL). Run the 93 map and use Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate. Drive the car as hard as you can for between 200 and 500 miles to let the map relearn your driving style.

You could also try an ECU Reset, I usually do this after a download

With the key in the off position press and hold the speedo reset button, turn the key to position one and the screen will say test and a number.

Go through the list by pressing the reset button upto test 19 and then wait.

The display should then say"log i-off" then "log i-on" over and over again....when "log i-off" appears again press the reset button ....and now you are in the system software (welcome to the Matrix :D.

Scroll upto 21.0 Software reset.

When reset appears press the button again and u will get a beep and your speedo needle may vibrate a little (this is normal).

Turn ignition off then back on to position 2 for 10 secs then start your car and hey presto its done.

You will still need to drive the car hard for 200 to 500 miles to get the full benefit.

mgemie
23rd May 2005, 05:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan
drive the car hard for 200 to 500 miles

:D not a problem chief lol!

I give the ECU reset a go - cheers for info M.S.

btw does the ECU reset wipe the mod'd map?

MartinSullivan
23rd May 2005, 06:28 AM
No the map stays there but all the accumulated data about driving style etc is cleared

mgemie
23rd May 2005, 06:04 PM
so, when i upload the new MTH map i should reset the ECU so it can learn my driving style from fresh..?

MartinSullivan
23rd May 2005, 06:18 PM
you dont have to - but I tend to, just to clear everything down

mgemie
4th June 2005, 08:33 PM
just had my blueflame CS exhuast fitted (see my other posts lol) so i've send my ECU map to Franz for an update. Fingers crossed i'll get new map back in couple of days.