PDA

View Full Version : GT Tuning...BBR...West...?? What to go for?

AndyP & Lenore
31st March 2005, 02:36 AM
Looking for feedback. We're seriously looking at a GT Tuning 220 upgrade :D:D, but is it the best:question: Honestly we don't know and we'd love to hear some feedback from those who have had their cars modified.

Any and all opinions much appreciated:).

X30YES
31st March 2005, 02:45 AM
Scottie Coop had something done I think in that department by a guy that tunes engine's I think ..better ask her for more info about the in's and out's .I'm sure she said the BBR was not a good job (on her car that is ) others have it and seem to be happy enough,and its a good bit less than the 'works pack'

Julz
31st March 2005, 03:21 AM
Definately the BBR! Not only is the conversion fantastic, but their after-sales care is second to none!!;)

If you ever want to know what the BBR220 is like, give me a shout and I'll take you out for a blast!!:cool::D

AndyP & Lenore
31st March 2005, 04:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

Definately the BBR! Not only is the conversion fantastic, but their after-sales care is second to none!!;)

If you ever want to know what the BBR220 is like, give me a shout and I'll take you out for a blast!!:cool::D

Thanks for the comments Julz. I remember you've had a couple of problems with your MINI, during the GoMini shoot and then again on the way to Calum's run. Do you think this was caused by the BBR upgrade or just a dodgy Mini engine?

Scottie
31st March 2005, 05:26 AM
Actually never had anything done by BBR so can not comment on that.

First Minispares who completly buggered it up.

Mainly JCW, with a bit Hartge and a old codger at a but and bend garage.

but to be honest if you can go with JCW then do its expensive but the best and keeping in mind warranity , resale etc
it is the only route to go.

Every tuner is going to think and advertise theirs as being best and people will in turn advise what they have had done to be the best but to be honest I wish I never got my blue coop furthered tuned to 275bhp it's just to much for the wee car and you loose a lot of the smothness that you retain with JCW.

My red mini has only JCW 210bhp.

This is just IMHO.

Julz
31st March 2005, 05:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP

Thanks for the comments Julz. I remember you've had a couple of problems with your MINI, during the GoMini shoot and then again on the way to Calum's run. Do you think this was caused by the BBR upgrade or just a dodgy Mini engine?

The problem during the photoshoot was electrical and in no way connected to the mods! As for recent events, JC's claimed that the faults were connected to the mods so I had to pay for the eventual repairs! However, I'm in the process of trying to prove that the mods had no or very little effect to the problem! My main proof is that the BBR re-map was removed and the fault happened again twice!:evil:

Willie M
31st March 2005, 05:22 PM
Linda's been running her JCW converted S (original 200bhp kit) completely glitch free for a year and a half now. I also had the JCW kit fitted to my last MINI, again fault free (and a helluva lot of fun :D) for the year I had the car.

From my own point of view (and it's only my opinion) I went with the JCW option because of the full dealership backup and warranty, should anything have gone wrong. Admitedly it's a bit pricey but I felt it was worth it for that piece of mind and security alone.

There are many good options and alternatives out there, at the end of the day it comes down to your own personal choice Andy. Best of luck and be sure to let us all know what you go for. Whichever option you choose I assure you the 'grin factor' will increase tenfold :D:D

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2005, 05:40 AM
We both really appreciate all the feedback we've had here folks.

I can see the common sense in the JCW kit, but contrary to my usual traits, I feel like living dangerously for a change:eightball:. I also don't really want to spend £4k ish on extra horsepower. I'm too miserable:(. However, £1k ish I don't mind to much. And I'm not overly worried about warranty issues. I spoke to my dealer and they quoted chapter and verse (as you would expect) but agreed that if my sunroof started leaking they can hardly blame that on an engine upgrade. Although I'm pretty sure they'd have a lot of fun trying!:(

Lots of info for us to digest, and between Julz kind offer:D and some other offers:D on MINI2.com, we've got a lot to digest....

Of to scratch head and ponder what to do....:question::D:question::D

Cheers again,

AndyP & Lenore

Gismo
1st April 2005, 11:12 AM
If i had to do it all again, i'd go for the BBR 240 :cool:
It was simply magic while i had it 8)