Natalie
25th March 2005, 05:10 AM
Where in Aberdeen!?

minidriver#1
25th March 2005, 05:24 AM
Dundee! oooooooo

Mini Martyn
25th March 2005, 06:02 PM
No way i am getting a test drive in a JCW S tomorrow to, 2pm!!

Let us know what you think KJ? HAVE FUN AND DONT BREAK IT!!?? :D

minidriver#1
25th March 2005, 06:32 PM
you too man :)

Big Col
25th March 2005, 11:43 PM
WELL??????

It's a same Iain bottled getting the JCSW Comvertible 'cos he was feart Clare would sell it and not him.

Julz
26th March 2005, 01:08 AM
KJ, while you're at JC's, can you go and give BabyB a wee cuddle, 3 weeks away from home is likely to be upsetting her (and me!!):(:disapprove:

Mini Me
26th March 2005, 07:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

WELL??????

It's a same Iain bottled getting the JCSW Comvertible 'cos he was feart Clare would sell it and not him.

Easy tiger, yer no that big :eek::blackeye::p;)

minidriver#1
26th March 2005, 11:11 AM
omg! thats all i'm saying, well for now anyway, i've been driving since 4pm today and have it till 4pm tomorrow. it really is a great car. i have to sleep, early start tomorrow lol.

minidriver#1
28th March 2005, 11:38 PM
i'll write a full review when i have time :)

Neil and Lorna
29th March 2005, 02:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

i'll write a full review when i have time :)

Hi KJ

I would be very interested in your review of the JCW.:)

I took delivery of mine on the 1st March and have only just done 1200 miles so cant yet let rip.But even keeping below 4000 revs the car seemed very eager to go like the clappers.:D:D

Neil.

minidriver#1
29th March 2005, 05:07 AM
JCW Cooper S Cabrio review

I went to JC's in Dundee on friday afternoon to collect their brand new Cooper S Cabrio JCW demo car. £27,000 worth of near sexual enjoyment. I'll try and make it as nuetral as possible, but its difficult. I left my car with them for the weekend, afraid of leaving it my mind was soon occupied elsewhere. The first thing i asked Jc's was whether or not the car had been run in and luckily for me it had.

The car was fully loaded, missing only the sat nav. JCW 18 inch wheels, brake kit and exhaust. Coming off the slip road onto the Kingsway i was immediately taken by surprise as i pressed down on the accelerator pedal to join the usual kingsway traffic. Initially first and second gears were not too dissimilar to the Cooper, however upon putting the foot down and reving to 4500 in the first two gears you could tell there was something waiting to be unleashed in the higher gears. Third gear is tremendous and pulls magnificently from 3000 upwards. The first day i had it i was limited to city cruising, however i did get to open it up on the kingsway section leading to the Swallow Hotel. i reached the limit and beyond in no time, every time changing gear the exhaust would pop and burble... which leads me onto my favourite aspect of the car. Sitting in traffic lights, a swift press on the accelerator and release led to the sexiest noise i've heard from a small car, the popping and burbling signals to those around that this isnt just a normal mini, let alone cooper s. I had a group of teenagers in a pug 306 to the right of me signal a thumbs up and a round of applause as they heard the pops. A civic at the left of me was dying for a race unaware of what exactly i was pushin on the tarmac. Needless to say i left them in the dust, the traction and stability control came into effect briefly but did not make a noticeable difference to the acceleration of the car, i also didnt feel the draining of power as some have complained in the past, and to me the ASC-T helped a fair bit on the wet ground.

I had the roof down fri afternoon and in the evening as i went cruising around Dundee's city center. Usually i'd have got the usual barage of poseur abuse etc but no, the car comanded a certain respect from the night club goer that the usual souped up Japanese car would be crying out to attract. Even with the roof down people were complimentary of the car, and at one point had 3 girls in the car, one of whom left her bf on the pavement to wait as we went for a spin around the block.

The two things that annoy me about the car though is the lack of visibility from the rear quarters, but which is easily remidied by bringing the roof down; as if you ever needed an excuse to do so.

The second thing is the violent backdraft you get at high speed. I was able to compare this to the new Vauxhall Tigra convertible which i was taken for a ride in on the same night and the difference was incomparable. I think a rear wind-shield/breaker would have helped a fair bit with this, but its not too big a problem if you're on your own and driving in warm weather.

Saturday night saw me take in the m90 to edinburgh and back. After coming off the friarton bridge there is a big sweeping uphill corner which most cars would usually struggle to conquer, the JCW S however saw me peak at 95 mph around that corner, people were moving out the way. I'm sure i could have got the car faster up that but i didnt want to risk loosing my license. A few times people would slow down and not move till the last minute but all it took was a drop from 5th to fourth to blow past them, even at such a high gear the response is immediate and the supercharger noise is enough to make anyone smile. Every moment driving this car had me in smiles, even when alone i still found myself laughing and i couldnt help but weave in between traffic on the m90.

I still have my reservations on the look of the carbio compaired to the tin top, looking stunning with the roof down, my mother refused me parking permission in the driveway when she saw it with the roof

duncan
29th March 2005, 05:12 AM
Here, i saw Ewan driving it today KJ.

He didnt look too happy either. Not sure if it was the drool stains or the big dent you left it with that was upsetting him most ;)

minidriver#1
29th March 2005, 05:19 AM
update review.

There is a dent in it?

duncan
29th March 2005, 05:45 AM
Nah, no dent, must have been the drool ;)

Willie M
29th March 2005, 04:57 PM
Nice review KJ, glad to hear you had so much fun driving the JCW S. Must say I could never fault the JCW kit, plenty of power on tap anywhere in the rev range and the engine and supercharger (gotta love that whine) were always more than willing to please.
Oh, and you happened to notice the exhaust note did you? ;):D

Burple
29th March 2005, 07:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Here, i saw Ewan driving it today KJ.

He didnt look too happy either. Not sure if it was the drool stains or the big dent you left it with that was upsetting him most ;)

It was the suspect stains on the Driver's seat that bothered me the most..

..but at least there were no footprints on the inside of the roof.. KJ's stillettos or otherwise.. ;);););););):D:D:D:p

weefossy
5th April 2005, 05:50 AM
Great review KJ. and you are right about looks, wind and visability, but the pleasure with even the S Cabrio is fantastic. Wonder how quick Sioban would get to Tesco's with a JCW......maybe a wee conversion next year!!

J Cee
5th April 2005, 09:20 AM
Good review KJ, I had the standard cooper cabrio last year it was well under powered but what a great wee car.