PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Photo...

Eggy7496
22nd March 2005, 05:20 PM
Hey guys, i know theres been a lot of talk about ipods but i've never really seen the answer i'm looking for.

i just bought the new ipod photo (30GB) and i know its compatible in some way or another to our minis, but my question is...

is it possible to have it connected to the mini...and for the multi-functional steering wheel to work....and also for the factory fitted cd changer all to still work?

i also have the harmon kardon system just to let you know incase that makes any additional problems.

please can you help??

GAJ
22nd March 2005, 05:59 PM
It can be done using one of these (http://www.ipodmycar.com/v2buy.asp?prod=93) but there are a couple of threads detailing the problems that others have experienced. In a nutshell, the software in the Dension can cause all sorts of problems with the car's electrics (locking being disabled, lights that won't go out etc.) Dension are still constantly developing the software and releasing updates that seem to work for some but not for others. Also the interface is clunky and slow, to say the least. A simpler, cheaper option is simply to get the aux-in kit from the dealer and forget about controlling the ipod using the MFSW as it doesn't work properly anyway.

Eggy7496
22nd March 2005, 06:44 PM
so basically link it up to my mini and control it from the actual ipod itself?

and everything else works fine and normal?

i spoke to a guy at john clark, he says for £200 they will fit an ipod connection which will charge my ipod at the same time but i have to do away with my cd changer, and it will only work thru the steering wheel if i put all the songs onto specific playlists.

SCRAP THAT IDEA!!

GAJ
22nd March 2005, 07:03 PM
What he is offering for £200 is what I have linked too. £100 for fitting is daylight robbery. It takes about 10 minutes to install - even if you have never done it before! I have a belkin autokit and tunekit. The tunekit fits in the cup holder and holds the ipod where you can see it and the autokit stays in the ciggy lighter, permanently connected to the aux-in and it works very well.

Gismo
22nd March 2005, 07:10 PM
I had the Dension ice link, keeps freezing the iPod, i looked at Gaj's install, very nice and works well, would have been my option had i not sold the car

Scottch
22nd March 2005, 07:28 PM
We got Icelink plus installed last week.

Does exactly what it says on the tin (providing you carry out the required updates), lets you play any playlist on your I-Pod, charges the I-Pod up, works with the MFSW - no problems (yet).

Very happy with it so far!

Cheers!

Scott

GAJ
22nd March 2005, 07:43 PM
I was disappointed that you can only access playlists using the MFSW and not the iPod library itself. And only the first 6 playlists! You can swith the Dension interface off and revert back to the iPod interface but this has to be redone each time the iPod is put in the cradle and is a real faff! Seems a bit daft having 10 000 songs or so on your iPod and only being able to access 6 playlists. You may as well use the CD changer. Good luck with it and I hope it continues working okay. Heather will be able to provide an update on what fuse to remove if it freezes up!

Heather
22nd March 2005, 08:00 PM
As Gary says, mines worked fine for the first few weeks too. Im going for the same set up as Gary in my new mini (which is going to have the HK). I would never touch anything that Dension makes every again:(

Scottch
22nd March 2005, 08:03 PM
We can view all of the playlists and listen to any of them using the MFSW or the controls on the radio. It's not limited to the first 6 playlists at all.

Sounds like the latest update has cured a few of the problems you've experienced.

In fact, I was so impressed by the way it's integrated into the car and works, I've ordered another Icelink plus for my own car.

Eggy7496
22nd March 2005, 08:13 PM
ok so lets see if i get this

if i use GAJ's set up i can:

keep present set-up perfectly normal ie. the MFSW controls cd changer, my mini disc player in the front and radio, and volumes.

harmon kardon doesnt add problems

and the ipod sits in the cigarette bit and u control which songs you want to hear from actual ipod itself

but which mode does the ipod play through? an additional mode to radio, minidisc, cd changer? or is one of them sacraficed?

does GAJ's method allow the ipod to be charged?

still a little confused.... dont be mad

GAJ
22nd March 2005, 08:24 PM
My way keeps your present set up - a new AUX option appears on the HU. HK is fine - no problems. The auto kit is a charger - it even pauses the iPod when you swith off the ignition.

Eggy7496
22nd March 2005, 08:37 PM
and do u just control your songs from ipod itself?

ive seen u can buy a infared controller

attach something to the top of your ipod and use this controller, so i suppose u can use that.

GAJ were can i buy the equipment and what equipment will i need?

thanks for your help so far GAJ, solved so many problems 4 me

GAJ
22nd March 2005, 08:44 PM
MINI dealers sell the Aux-in kit - loads of places sell the Belkin stuff, Amazon sell both the auto kit (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00011PH3I/qid=1111491615/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-0187054-6327001) and the tunedok (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000ULJWS/qid=1111491725/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-0187054-6327001)
Yup - just use the iPod itself to control it, the infra red things would work fine too.:)

Eggy7496
22nd March 2005, 08:48 PM
whats the price of the Aux-in-kit?

will the MFST control the volume?

GAJ
22nd March 2005, 09:01 PM
About £35.

Yes.

You will also need a 3.5 mm mini jack to 3.5mm mini jack patch lead too. Before you ask you will find one in the cupboard under the stairs!;) Or try PC World. (a fiver!!:))

Eggy7496
22nd March 2005, 09:12 PM
so i need:

ipod
3.5 mm jack to 3.5mm lead
AUX-IN cable
Autokit
Tunedok

this is all i need?

ok, so i guess next thing is, who can fit it?

is it easy enough to do yourself?

Eggy7496
22nd March 2005, 09:20 PM
john clark says i will be £106 plus VAT for AUX-IN cable as its part o pack. can i get it anywhere else cheaper?

was urs not £35?

MartinSullivan
22nd March 2005, 10:13 PM
Speak to Mikeythemini at www.newministuff.co.uk sure he will be able to source everything for you at a good price

Eggy7496
23rd March 2005, 12:19 AM
guys what about the i-trip?? it solves all this cables problems!

GAJ
23rd March 2005, 12:23 AM
It sounds rubbish though. Loads of interference from other FM stations.

Eggy7496
23rd March 2005, 04:40 PM
will that def happen?

Scottch
23rd March 2005, 06:43 PM
We used I-trip from November until we got Icelink fitted.

It's certainly not perfect. At best, it's no worse than listening to FM radio. Some days it was certainly not that great, but all in all, for something that only needs you to retune your radio (rather than all the other stuff that needs plugged in, remotes, radio removal etc..) it's certainly easy.

We never experienced problems with other radio stations, but ours was set at a frequency that didn't appear to be used.

If you're local, feel free to come by and try ours.

Joe
21st February 2006, 05:06 AM
hello
I had a cooper,and got a alpine head unit with the Ipod interface(which was great)

Now i've got a Cooper S works :) with the Harman Kardon sound system

But i can't get the alpine kit to work through the amp. Does anyone know what the 3 wires for the amp is for at the back of the head unit?

Any ideas? or wiring loom pics? please Help