PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Driver Seat Is Back!!

macblob
7th July 2003, 01:53 AM
My Drivers seat used to squeak really badly ages ago, so the car went back to Dunedin who said they stripped the seat down and put it back together without finding a fault (so they said!!)......the noise had gone when i got it back though strangely enough.

The squeak seems to have returned over the weekend :mad:
So going to see how it goes for a couple of days , but do you think I should be requesting a completely new seat, as whatever fixed this problem last time seems to have re occured!!

I can imagine Dunedin will not want to replace the seat, has anyone else had this sort of problem, cause the noise drives u mental after a wee while of sqeaking over every lump and bump!!!

3GGG
7th July 2003, 01:57 AM
One thing that cured mine was to adjust the height of the seat , try a small adjustment and see if that helps.

macblob
7th July 2003, 03:30 AM
Ive tried that before , but it only seems to help for a small amount of time.

Im thinking Dunedin have just greased bits inside the seat but as the grease become old the squeak just comes back as the actual problem causing it has never been fixed.

Typical BMW

KenL
7th July 2003, 05:54 AM
I have come to the conclusion that dealers think every rattle or squeeeeek can or should be fixed by plastering it in grease.

My seats (1 year & 12000 miles) have hardly ever squeaked - fingers crossed - but when they have I've moved all the seat adjustments a few times and it's gone away.

If your's are squeeking loudly and constantly then if I were you I'd demand something be done under warranty. Loads of people on MINI2 have reported having their seat bases replaced.

Wul
7th July 2003, 07:11 PM
Let me tell you about my squeaky drivers seat!

after 1 month of owning the car, my seat squeaked in every direction, the lumbar support popped like a 2L coke bottle

Went back to the dealer (douglas park - hamilton) who stripped/lubed the seat and rebuilt - 1 week later is was back!

Re-booked it in - they ordered a new seat base and frame - it arrived in Nov (3 months later) and when i booked it in to be replaced they wanted to give me a courtesy car that was costing me £25/day on insurance.

So booked the fault in to Dunedins for investigation & replacement. After them having to order another frame - the frame was finally fitted in Dec.

Since then the seat has been stripped in Feb and April - in the April visit the seat back broke as it had been on and off so many times!

At present there is a slight squeak, but i'm so fed up about it i'm trying to ignore it!

However.....the passenger seat is now doing it very bad and it's going in 2moro to get it investigated!

Sigh!:(

Woz
7th July 2003, 07:36 PM
My dealer is the Perth one. Our passenger seat started to squeak so I gave them a call. They ordered two new front seats and then fitted them for me.

Guess not all dealers are equal.

macblob
7th July 2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, i think im going to pay Dunedin a visit on my way home from work today.... will see what happens

You would have thought after all the years BMW have been making cars they could make some f***ing seats correctly but i suppose that is too much to ask.

Wul
7th July 2003, 08:10 PM
Brian - Jim Carroll the Service Manager@ Dunedins is on holiday for the next 2 weeks - hopefully you should still be able to get something sorted out though!

macblob
7th July 2003, 09:14 PM
They will probably tell me to go on a diet to stop the squeak lol:D

macblob
7th July 2003, 10:26 PM
Car is booked into Dunedin for next Tuesday to have the seat looked at again!!

Will wait and see what happens this time

Thanks for the opinions

Brian

Wul
8th July 2003, 05:15 PM
Just dropped my Coop off to Dunedins (Again!) this morning to get the squeak looked at and the drivers window drop problem investigated - got they're MCS courtesy car this time:D! Smells like an ashtray but goes well! Although for my very first outing in an MCS i have to say the difference between it and an MC is not as much as i thought it would be - extra gear excepted!;)

macblob
8th July 2003, 06:05 PM
Dammm i thought id been in and out of Dunedin a lot but u might aswell live ther Wul:dead:

Wul
8th July 2003, 07:01 PM
Yup - feels like a home from home!

9 warranty visits plus a couple to hamilton as well as other times i've nipped in to book it in etc and the TLC service!

I'm sure Calum and GAJ are long term visitiors there too!

Woz
8th July 2003, 07:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Although for my very first outing in an MCS i have to say the difference between it and an MC is not as much as i thought it would be - extra gear excepted!;)

Yep, I took one out for a spin the other day when my seats were being done and felt the same. I think its because the MCS feels smooth on the power so you dont notice that you have put on a load of speed quickly.

BTW, did you get you problem sorted with the compensation issue?

Hope they get it fixed this time.

GAJ
8th July 2003, 08:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Yup - feels like a home from home!

9 warranty visits plus a couple to hamilton as well as other times i've nipped in to book it in etc and the TLC service!

I'm sure Calum and GAJ are long term visitiors there too!

I've not been for a couple of months so I'll no doubt be back soon. I have a hole appear in the handbrake boot where it looks like it has got stuvk in the internal mechanism but I can't be arsed taking it in to get that fixed. I'll wait till my seats start squeaking!:p

Wul
10th July 2003, 05:16 PM
Well another successful visit to Dunedins over....except it's back on tuesday again - the technician discovers the door catch was corroded so ordered up a new set to replace the current ones. but the squeak has gone - HOORAY!

Citrus Travel sweets this time!

However.....

After having spent 4hours on saturday washing/polishing/vinyl dressing the car so it looked braw! and leaving a yellow post it note on the seat saying "PLEASE DO NOT WASH THIS CAR" they chose to move the note and tuck it into the sun visor and completely ignore my request!

So when i returned to collect my car, it had been sitting in the baking sun with more water marks burnt on than clean paintwork! and the dust from the yard stuck to the water marks too - however the roof was the best bit - it looked like they'd completely forgot to rinse the soap off and let it dry on AARRGGHH!!! i kid you not the car looked dirtier when i collected it than it did BEFORE i started on saturday morning!

So if you're reading this Mr Valeter - if you are going to wash a black car - DON'T LET IT DRY IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT!

end of rant!

macblob
10th July 2003, 05:51 PM
Glad to hear the Squeak is gone Wul :D

You in on Tuesday morning with the car?

Ill be in then around 8.30am to have my Squeak looked at. lol

Im just waiting on the car as i need it back to get to work in the afternoon!!!
, squeak free with a bit of luck.

Ive also had my car back looking dirtier than it did when it when into Dunedins before. All they do is pressue wash them and then stuck em outside in the dust .........lovely :mad:

Maybe see u in Dunedin Tuesday morning if ur about with ur car :)

Cheers Brian

miniscot00
10th July 2003, 05:58 PM
My drivers seat broke completely (no comments about weight please!). It got stuck in the fully reclined postion resulting in a very uncomfortable drive back from the borders. Dunedin replaced the frame completely and (touch wood) haven't had any problems since.

Wul - still three visits to go until you reach my 12!!

Julz
10th July 2003, 06:26 PM
Why was it in the fully reclined position anyway??:D

Wul
10th July 2003, 06:54 PM
Brian - i'll be there about 08.30 too so will look out for you! Take your license with you and go and see Brian the sales guy about a shot of a demonstrator (the S eg) while your waiting:D i'm sure they'll oblige.

you're spot on with the washing strategy too - i'd rather they didn't bother!

Calum - number 10 is booked for tuesday - you'd better watch out - i'm catching you up!! ;)

macblob
10th July 2003, 07:23 PM
Ive lost count how many trips ive had to Dunedin, especially in the 1st 6 months or so of owning my coop.

Ill hopefully see u there Wul, im the big bald fat bloke who looks way too scruffy to be in a BMW garage.:D

macblob
15th July 2003, 07:42 PM
Good to meet you this morning Wul :D

Hope everything is sorted with ur car after today.

They had mine for a lil over an hr, and have decided it needs a new seat base which they have to order, so back to Dunedin yet again next monday afternoon to have that fitted.

Plus my car stinks of oil/lubricant they must have used on the seat this am :mad:

grrrrrrr!!!!........on the plus side Autoglass came out and replaced my driver side window this morning, as some wee F***er decided to try and smash it , leaving a big chip in the glass (not leaving the car outside my mates in Glasgow again lol)

Wul
15th July 2003, 10:00 PM
Ditto Macblob!

Funny thing happened after i left you - got to site - phone goes at 10am - "ah mr scott we've given you the wrong courtesy car could we come and change it over?" - in the end i drove back to Dunedin at lunchtime as they'd finished with my car.

Got a new driver door lock fitted as mine was corroded apparently - and they didn't clean it this time HOORAY! no sweets though! BOO! So only the passenger lock to go and i will have had the whole set!

Your seat prob sounds so familiar! only after they've stripped and rebuilt the new one 3 times will the squeaks start to go!!

Enjoy the barby on Sat! and will look out for you in town!

Wul

macblob
16th July 2003, 02:07 AM
Cheers

Im just glad they are replacing some of the seat this time as i feel this is what should have been done in the 1st place, but typical BMW want to get you to go in about 20 times 1st.

However they were fairly apologetic today about dragging me in again next week, so we will wait and see whether the new base fixes the dreaded squeak.

Ill try and enjoy the barby inbetween crying and whinning cause im missing the cullen run (damm women).

macblob
22nd July 2003, 03:33 AM
New base of drivers seat now fitted, another 2hrs 30mins sat around Dunedin though.

However no squeak on the way home and the seat felt way more comfy than before but i suppose time will tell if the dreaded squeak will return.

Im hoping not this time

Wul
22nd July 2003, 04:53 PM
Fingers crossed Brian!