PDA

View Full Version : Imports

Monsta Mo Mini
18th March 2005, 09:21 PM
I'm looking for a little bit of advice here guys.

What are the pros and cons of buying an imported car?

UK spec right hand drive bought from a UK based online dealer but 20% cheaper than a main dealer.

Anyone had any experiences good or bad?

john
18th March 2005, 09:41 PM
My sister has just returned from OZ with her MINI and some companies will not quote her to insure it because its an Import :(built in Oxford):I

Gismo
18th March 2005, 09:58 PM
Insurance will be the biggest problem, it will be more expensive

Scottie
19th March 2005, 01:05 AM
well we've bought two motors that have been imports and found insurance not a problem

BUT

resale value a knightmare.

Oh the cars one was a Nissan Nevada Pick Up and the other Hi LUx Surf.

Footman James will insure you no probs.

Scottie
19th March 2005, 01:10 AM
just had another thought obviously i've no idea what type of car you are looking at but should it be a VW then if you place your order with MotorLogix they place the order with your local VW dealer it's not classed as a import or anything and you get the 10 - 20% discount.

Monsta Mo Mini
19th March 2005, 03:04 AM
It is a VW and so far so good. No problems with insurance - it's the same as the uK car. The only difference between the import and the UK car is the alarm and 2 years warranty instead of 3. It's the resale value I'm worried about. It's forecast that the 5dr GTi will hold it's value pretty well - I'm just curious whether or not the initial saving will be replicated in the resale value after 3 years just because it's an "import".

Motorlogix don't have any GTis in stock at the moment but thanks for the tip Fee!

Scottie
19th March 2005, 04:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

It is a VW and so far so good. No problems with insurance - it's the same as the uK car. The only difference between the import and the UK car is the alarm and 2 years warranty instead of 3. It's the resale value I'm worried about. It's forecast that the 5dr GTi will hold it's value pretty well - I'm just curious whether or not the initial saving will be replicated in the resale value after 3 years just because it's an "import".

Motorlogix don't have any GTis in stock at the moment but thanks for the tip Fee!

think your right to worry about the resale value we traded the Nissan @ town & county aberdeen for a G4 LandRover it was only 12 months old and we lost about a further 2k with it being a import.:(

have you tried www.cheapestukcars.com or www.newcardiscount.com.

saved £5000 of the V10 list price and no broker fee didn't part with any money until car arrived at the dealer a week early.:D oh that was through www.cheapestukcars.com

Monsta Mo Mini
19th March 2005, 08:23 AM
New-car-discount.com are one of the dealers I've been talking to. Have you had any dealings with them?

It's just that VW are really limiting the number of cars each dealer gets and I'm worried that some of these online discounted retailers might not be able to deliver. I'm already getting quoted 16 weeks! How they're getting round the VW pricing policy is another matter? NO DEALS at the main dealers.

With regards to the imported carsyou've had previously. Were they UK spec models?

Gismo
19th March 2005, 06:45 PM
Calum,
Have you tried JamJar (http://www.jamjar.com/) :question:

Monsta Mo Mini
19th March 2005, 09:53 PM
JamJar are more expensive than the main dealers???:(

Scottie
20th March 2005, 04:29 AM

New-car-discount.com are one of the dealers I've been talking to. Have you had any dealings with them?

It's just that VW are really limiting the number of cars each dealer gets and I'm worried that some of these online discounted retailers might not be able to deliver. I'm already getting quoted 16 weeks! How they're getting round the VW pricing policy is another matter? NO DEALS at the main dealers.

With regards to the imported carsyou've had previously. Were they UK spec models?

the nissan was UK spec.
only dealt with cheapukcars. but a couple of guys have bought Touareg through newcardiscount and they were more than happy with the serivce.

duncan
20th March 2005, 04:44 AM
Verve in Glasgow did the best deal when my Dad bought his Mark IV Golf estate a few years ago.

Willie M
21st March 2005, 10:01 PM
Biggest difficulty will be resale value. If you're looking to put the car back as a trade-in most of the dealers will offer you low prices for your import.
I did however find one good dealer who gave me a bl**dy good price for my last Rangie :approve: I did however have a few weeks heartache, hawking it round the various dealers and being laughed out of their showrooms :I

Monsta Mo Mini
21st March 2005, 10:40 PM
Not a happy bunny!

have just been on the phone to check the tmescales and have now been told that the earliest delivery date is....wait for it.....

...JANUARY 2006!!!!!

All dealers were given an allocation of just 25 cars...FOR THE YEAR!!!!!

Oh well...better start looking at the other options....:(

Big Gordy
21st March 2005, 10:56 PM
Try Inch VW in Bathgate Calum;) I was up there last week and they had at least three new GTI's <2 red (1 three,1 five door) and one dark silver I think> :p:D:approve:

Scottie
21st March 2005, 11:14 PM

Not a happy bunny!

have just been on the phone to check the tmescales and have now been told that the earliest delivery date is....wait for it.....

...JANUARY 2006!!!!!

All dealers were given an allocation of just 25 cars...FOR THE YEAR!!!!!

Oh well...better start looking at the other options....:(

New Red one available from local VW dealer now.

A ordered GTi June/July delivery date.

Only thing is no discount but @ the end of the day maybe not a bad thing re trade in value for import.

If you want a contact name give me a shout he is the Lux Car Manager but he would look after you.

Scottie
28th March 2005, 05:43 AM
maybe to late but if you've not bought your VW yet give these guys a try

http://www.allbrandsnew.co.uk/search_results.asp

Monsta Mo Mini
28th March 2005, 08:17 PM
thanks Fee - already spoken to them - that was the source of the imported car - the more I looked into it, the more hassle it would become. They were totally crap at getting any quotes through to me which didn't inspire confidence.