PDA

View Full Version : Site Sponsor

Gismo
5th July 2003, 04:45 PM
Opening many posts now you are drawn to the fact that some people have obviously donated to become a site sponsor.
To my mind it is really in your face and may have the opposite effect of what is trying to be achieved.
Obviously it is in the owners best interest to gain sponsorhip but i feel that the symbol could be a tad more discreet.
Instead of reading the post i am now directed to see who has and who has not donated.

Once everyone has donated, or figures out how to, then i can only think that the page displayed on the screen will have these rather large banners detracting from the actual post and the forum itself.

I am obviously open to opinion and ridicule so please feel free.

Bonnie Scotland

3GGG
5th July 2003, 06:59 PM
Maybe a better compromise would be to show if one had become a sponsor in the left column under the name of the poster.

Linda M
7th July 2003, 03:06 AM
I personally don't think it's 'that' bad and I reckon Calum probably took quite a bit of time figuring out a neat sponsor banner to match the site.

The site is becoming bigger and more expensive to run so Calum needs to attract 'sponsor' attention in order to keep it running. He's already forked out in advance for the new window stickers and t-shirts he's hoping to get sorted out.

All sponsor money will go to running the site or fund any project relating to NMS and we can't expect Calum to subsidize these things.

After all, it's in 'all' our best interests to see this site kept alive and growing.

Just my opinion :)

miniscot00
9th July 2003, 05:17 PM
Having looked at the site after a few days away I take the point that the sponsor banners are a wee bit in your face and shall be toned down accordingly.

john
9th July 2003, 07:18 PM
While on the subject of sponsorship,I know its up the individual but what sort of cost are we talking here????

miniscot00
9th July 2003, 08:11 PM
If you do decide to make a donation, that amount is entirely up to you. However large or small it's all very much appreciated.

It's really down to how much value you place on being able to visit the site.

macblob
9th July 2003, 09:05 PM
I think the sponsorship idea is a good one, but not bothered if I get a wee logo under my name or not.
Calum deserves some donations towards the running of the site and all the time and work he puts into it.
Just my opinion.

GAJ
10th July 2003, 04:37 AM
Agreed. Beer monster?? I'm teetotal!

Gismo
14th July 2003, 07:49 AM
My sentiments exactly, i was not saying you shouldn´t sponsor, just merely pointing to the fact it was immediately in your face, now, where do i go to place my bet, er, i mean buy a beer, erm, i mean assist callumin the upkeep of this fabulous site ??

Bonnie Scotland (currently touring in majorca)

Willie M
14th July 2003, 04:06 PM
and then there were none...
Perhaps it's just my eyesight at this early hour but the wee sponsorship logo's appear to have vanished :eek:

Willie M
14th July 2003, 04:08 PM
Okay, okay, I see it now :I:clown:
note to self, 'Think before you speak8)

Wul
14th July 2003, 05:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M
note to self, 'Think before you speak8)

:D:D

3GGG
14th July 2003, 05:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

My sentiments exactly, i was not saying you shouldn´t sponsor, just merely pointing to the fact it was immediately in your face, now, where do i go to place my bet, er, i mean buy a beer, erm, i mean assist callumin the upkeep of this fabulous site ??

Bonnie Scotland (currently touring in majorca)

The NMS Home page has a PayPal Donate button down in the bottom right.

Gismo
17th July 2003, 06:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

and then there were none...
Perhaps it's just my eyesight at this early hour but the wee sponsorship logo's appear to have vanished :eek: What logo :evil:;)

The link is broken :I

Bonnie Scotland

Monsta Mo Mini
17th July 2003, 09:06 PM
Oops!:I
It's fixed now:)

Tahra
1st August 2003, 12:45 AM
I obviously missed the sponors thingy when it first started, but figured it out ( and saw the Paypal link ) just havent had a piece of plastic with me when Ive been at the pc. I did mention it to J though and meant to say sooner....but couldnt you also raise money through the runs ??? Im not suggesting an entrance fee or anything since sombody's bound to take it the wrong way - but if there was a "donation" say for the lovely stickers that tell folks you've taken part in a run ???

Tahra
1st August 2003, 01:06 AM
Is it just me ( maybe they dont like my credit card no...) or is the Paypal stuff quite labourious ??? It wasn't quite the straightforward payment site that some of them are - guess thats what you get for extra security, but Im sure Ive missed out some bits. How many security emails do you have to answer and why do you pay to become a member ?? Or did they only do that to me too.....

Monsta Mo Mini
1st August 2003, 06:16 AM
quote:[i] I did mention it to J though and meant to say sooner....but couldnt you also raise money through the runs ??? Im not suggesting an entrance fee or anything since sombody's bound to take it the wrong way - but if there was a "donation" say for the lovely stickers that tell folks you've taken part in a run ???

It's something I've been thinking about mentioning aswell.

It does seem unfair that event organisers invariably end up out of pocket. The likes of the Thistle run charges over a tenner per entrant but you do get your goodies - sticker, magnet badge etc.... I would propose a fee of £5 per car which will more than cover the cost of the stickers and any money left over could be used to pay for petrol on the recces.

What does everyone else think?

Monsta Mo Mini
1st August 2003, 06:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tahra

Is it just me ( maybe they dont like my credit card no...) or is the Paypal stuff quite labourious ??? It wasn't quite the straightforward payment site that some of them are - guess thats what you get for extra security, but Im sure Ive missed out some bits. How many security emails do you have to answer and why do you pay to become a member ?? Or did they only do that to me too.....

It does take a wee while to get set up but once thats all over and done with it's a peice of cake to use. It's also one of the most secure - that's why Ebay use it.

By the way it did work. Thank you very much for your kind donation.;):D

GAJ
1st August 2003, 06:26 AM
eBay own it now I think!

I for one think your comments regarding the fiver fee per car on future runs is OK!

macblob
1st August 2003, 07:34 AM
Fiver or so a run is definately fair.

Id quite happily pay that if i ever make it to a run that is. lol

Think it was a tenner i paid for the Thistle run if i remember correctly.

duncan
5th August 2003, 06:57 AM
Is it just me, or is the PayPal site sponsor link not working?

Monsta Mo Mini
5th August 2003, 07:32 AM
It's not just you. Link was broken. It isn't anymore....fixed....again! 8)

duncan
5th August 2003, 07:37 AM
Thanks,

Having re-installed windows for the umpteenth time, i did honestly think it was my PC!

Monsta Mo Mini
5th August 2003, 05:07 PM
Sorry about that Duncan. BIG THANKS!

seany
11th December 2003, 06:42 AM
jist sponsor the site